Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Given Retires From International Football

• 13-08-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

Just on SSN:(

Must say i'm very sad to hear this. Had hoped he would continue till the World Cup. Think he's still the best option we have and still had more to give. A fantastic servant and a fantastic goalkeeper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Best Irish goalkeeper ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

He tweeted it just now. :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Irish footballing hero, we'll miss him badly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Quality goalkeeper, will be a huge loss to the Irish team.

On a side issue, who will be the favourite to step up and replace him??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

He will be missed!
    How old is he anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Gutted absolutely gutted, still by far our best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Good news IMO. Given has been on the slide with Ireland for some time. He had a very poor Euros and made several mistakes in the lead up to the tournament. Clangers against Estonia and Armenia come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Quality goalkeeper, will be a huge loss to the Irish team.

On a side issue, who will be the favourite to step up and replace him??
    Westwood, he's our best option but worrying that he'll be most likely on the bench at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Some people have a short memory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Joekers wrote: »

Packie Bonner was a bit better, imo.

But Shay Given can be very proud of his achievements :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Good news IMO. Given has been on the slide with Ireland for some time. He had a very poor Euros and made several mistakes in the lead up to the tournament. Clangers against Estonia and Armenia come to mind.
    I agree with this but thats not to take away the fact that he has been our best keeper ever and a great servant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think he had to do it, he's getting too many injuries, hopefully this will help him stay fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Joekers wrote: »
    Apart from Jody Byrne i presume.:D

dan1895 wrote: »
    I agree with this but thats not to take away the fact that he has been our best keeper ever and a great servant.

I agree, fantastic servant for Ireland overall but his time had been clearly coming to an end and thankfully he realized that. If only Trapattoni and a few others could follow, the national team would be much better off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Fantastic keeper for club and country.
    I always remember a game years ago for newcastle(maybe the year they got relegated or the year before) where they got thumped by united 6-2 or something but for the first half of the match Shay made numerous world class saves in an effort to keep newcastle in it.
    First time I think after a scoreline like that the keeper still went on to win man of the match

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As mentioned, Westwood needs to be getting first team football. Having your first choice keeper warming the bench is useless.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I must say some folk who post on here have no common sense and no respect for one of Irelands greatest players. Why people cant applaud the man for all hes done for his country in his career instead of picking out the few mistakes that he made while playing.
    Today is a sad day for Irish football and he will be sorely missed imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Sergio wrote: »
    I must say some folk who post on here have no common sense and no respect for one of Irelands greatest players. Why people cant applaud the man for all hes done for his country in his career instead of picking out the few mistakes that he made while playing.
    It is an internet forum, where people will express views that don't coincide with yours (or mine, or those of Mary down at the cross roads, or Uncle Joe).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Bit biased but absolute legend of a goalkeeper, some people talking about the errors ( that you could count on one hand) in 125 international matches is unfair in my opinion. Hope he enjoys international retirement and is a great loss to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

blueser wrote: »
    It is an internet forum, where people will express views that don't coincide with yours (or mine, or those of Mary down at the cross roads, or Uncle Joe).

I take your point but today is the day he has announced his retirement from international football so TODAY should be the day he is applauded for all he has given to Irish football.
    Tomorrow people can start another thread about all the mistakes hes made etc etc ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Absolutely sicked to hear of Shay's retirement. One of the best keepers we ever had. It's a shame he didn't get to go out on a high. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Thanks Shay you owe us nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Fantastic keeper for club and country.
    I always remember a game years ago for newcastle(maybe the year they got relegated or the year before) where they got thumped by united 6-2 or something but for the first half of the match Shay made numerous world class saves in an effort to keep newcastle in it.
    First time I think after a scoreline like that the keeper still went on to win man of the match

Yeah I remember something like that too. When he was unreal but Newcastle got hammered. I always thought it was a 5-0 defeat to Liverpool but I was never too sure. Despite that game being club level, his retirement kinda brings the possibility of him retiring in the near future. Which will be a sad sad day.

Too anyone who says he had a bad time at the euro's, remember that he was injured leading up to it. I'd also agree with JPA that his retirement would be good to avoid more injuries, maybe he'll be back to his best for his club. Keepers normally peak around his age (36)...

From a fellow Donegal man, here's hoping he'll still be involved with the Irish squad in some way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Sad to see him go.

Donegal please send down your next goalkeeper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Yeah I remember something like that too. When he was unreal but Newcastle got hammered. I always thought it was a 5-0 defeat to Liverpool but I was never too sure. Despite that game being club level, his retirement kinda brings the possibility of him retiring in the near future. Which will be a sad sad day.

It might well be that game I'm thinking of,not sure to be honest

I take your point but today is the day he has announced his retirement from international football so TODAY should be the day he is applauded for all he has given to Irish football.
    Tomorrow people can start another thread about all the mistakes hes made etc etc ;)

That's nonsense talk. Now is a very appropriate time to talk about WHY he has retired.

I agree it's also an appropriate time to praise his career overall for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

A sad day indeed. Would have preferred if he had stayed through the next campaign but I understand why he had to do it.
    Best of luck to him and I hope he is playing week in week out for villa and proving to all that he is still a loss to the national side.
    An Ireland legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ahh don't worry your head off it's only Willy. You will get used to him.

He is like the jack russell that likes to think he is smart and brave and growls looking for a reaction .
    Just stand your ground and bark back - he soon runs for cover .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Retiring at the right time if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

That's nonsense talk. Now is a very appropriate time to talk about WHY he has retired.

I'd imagine he's retiring because he wants to concentrate on his club career, not because he may have made a few mistakes recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Cause he's read and been persuaded by all your sensible stuff regarding the Irish team on boards.ie, no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Thanks Shay. Hope you have many more years at club level ahead of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great, great player for a very long time. Leaves very big gloves to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sad to hear. One of the greatest players we've ever had. It won't be the same seeing them play without having the reassurance that he's in the goal. On his day he was up there with the best of them.

It's the right time though. It wouldn't have been right to continue on for another year and leave in the middle of the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wow, such a shame. Respect to Shay for all the years he has represented us, an integral part of the team, and a top person to boot.

The dilema we find ourselves in now is our next choice keeper, seemingly Westwood, has not been getting much gametime at all at club level and not enough time at international level to comfortably take over the position of goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Packie Bonner was a bit better, imo.

Not even close IMHO, Shay is one of the best players to ever pull on an Irish shirt in any position.

Our most important player for over 10 years.

Will be sorely missed, hope Westwood can step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

As a Welshman I could only wish for a keeper of Shay's ability for my country. Would have fitted in almost seamlessly after Neville Southall retired.

Fantastic servant for Ireland. I wish him every success in the rest of his club career and also hope that this will signal the NT beginning to transition to a younger base of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Seaneh wrote: »
    Not even close IMHO, Shay is one of the best players to ever pull on an Irish shirt in any position.

Our most important player for over 10 years.

Will be sorely missed, hope Westwood can step up.
    Packie Bonner had our best ever defenders playing in front of him. Shay has had clowns in front of him quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Legend. We'd have been lost without him over the past 12 years or so.

I'll be excited to see how Westwood gets on. Club situation isn't ideal, but from what I've seen of him he looks a talented 'keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Packie Bonner had our best ever defenders playing in front of him. Shay has had clowns in front of him quite often.

Packie had just the four defenders ahead of him though, Shay once took to the pitch with a team of Gary Breens protecting the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Big loss was hoping to get the qualifers out of him coz i dont think we'll be going to the WC but Shay owes the jersey nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭McGrath5

This is really not good for us, I hope Richard Dunne does not follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'll eat my hat if in 6/9 mths time some of those who called for his retirement, and criticizing recent form as justification of it now are not the same people calling for his return in an 'Is it time to call Shay Given back' thread.

He is still are best option if Westwood can get a 1st team spot he can challenge that but at the moment he isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

An absolute servant to the country. Sad to see such a great keeper go out on such a low at Euro 2012. He was always first down on my team sheet and one of the great keepers of his generation. He is unlucky he didn't get to a bigger club (as he won't now). Hopefully he will still be available for us when Westwood is injured. Hopefully Westwood can step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I suppose there's Stephen Henderson knocking about as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Best Irish Keeper ever, one of my hero's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

sh&t news ;(

a great hero.. won us plenty of matches in his time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not sure if the link still works (can't check in work), but it's a tribute video someone made when he left Newcastle that I posted before on another forum.

Sums him up pretty well.

Definitely our best ever international keeper and fantastic at club level for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Donegal please send down your next goalkeeper.

sos to paul durcan :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Absolute legend of a keeper. Made me feel comfortable despite the fact that we have had some really ropey defensive and midfield combinations during his tenure.

Extremely big gloves to fill and a position, I fear, we may have trouble with for a few years until someone steps up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement