Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Given Retires From International Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would say this is the usual case of a player retiring from international football to try and get a little bit extra from their club careers.

Or perhaps he is just fecked.

But a legend of a goalkeeper, keep us in so many games down the years. Will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

bren2001 wrote: »
    He is unlucky he didn't get to a bigger club (as he won't now).

He's played for some huge clubs like Newcastle, Man City & Aston Villa so he's done very well for himself in his club career IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Great keeper, as a Newcastle fan he is definitely the reason we didn't get relegated sooner. As for the criticism about his recent performances was he not injured going into the Euros - I remember a lot of talk about him potentially not starting I thought this was because he was carrying an injury but it was decided an injured Shay Given was better than a fully fit sub keeper (Dave Forde???)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I have every confidence that Keiran Westwood is going to be a very good keeper for us. He did play about a dozen games for Sunderland last season and was doing very well. Unfortunately he got ill over the new year period and missed a game and Mignolet took his chance with both hands - he's also a fine keeper

The fact that Westwood went back to pre season training a week before he had to, such was his determination to win his place in the team back shows the lad has good attitude, determination and charachter and deserves our support.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/safc-news/o-neill-boosted-by-sunderland-keeper-contest-1-4827467

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sad day.

By far and away our best option in the nets. Our next best option seems to be a 26 year old who can't get first team football!

Fairly pathetic to dwell on the Euros tbh, majority of those goals would have went in anyway.

More to the point, he saved our asses in Moscow but people seem to forget about that.

Anyone suggesting he isn't still our best option hasn't a clue tbh.

Good news IMO. Given has been on the slide with Ireland for some time. He had a very poor Euros and made several mistakes in the lead up to the tournament. Clangers against Estonia and Armenia come to mind.
    That's nonsense talk. Now is a very appropriate time to talk about WHY he has retired.

I agree it's also an appropriate time to praise his career overall for Ireland.

You haven't a clue to be fair.

Even if Given was to blame for every goal we conceded in the Euros, he is still our best keeper by an absolute mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

a little bit annoying, for a goal keeper he isnt at the end of his career. i dont fully agree with the people who say he he owes us nothing and good luck to him because he wants to prolong his career. well he has shorted his career in an ireland sense and why? i dont know why but if its just to prolong a club career then i think its wrong. whats the point in prolonging his club career? more money? im sure he has plenty. more trophys? doubt he will be winning any.

he also does owe us something, he hasnt just helped the ireland team, the coaches im sure have helped him and also the fans have always supported him so i think if he is fit and in form he should leave it to the manager to not pick him when the time comes.

unless a player hates playing for their country or feels like they arent mentally capable of playing for some reason i dont agree with this early retirement lark. so he can play week in week out for a premier league team but not the odd ireland match. very strange. for the posters saying we shouldnt question his decision, show respect etc, give me a break, he has retired not died!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

A sad day for Irish football, he will be sorely missed

Given is the only main Irish keeper I've ever known. Now he's retired I feel quite old :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

All the best Shay, thanks for everything. Absolute top goalkeeper and excellent role model for young footballers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Well after 125 games, Shay really doesn't owe us anything but I have to say I'm disappointed he didn't hang around at least until the next World Cup. It's a shame that he decided to go out on a bit of a low without a proper send off to acknowledge the service he's given the national team over the years.

Thinking about it, Shay's retirement leaves us with:

David Forde - 1st choice at Millwall
    Darren Randolph - 1st choice at Motherwell
    Keiren Westwood - 2nd choice at Sunderland (the first half of this season is crucial, if he's still not playing by Christmas he needs to look for a move somewhere)
    Stephen Henderson - 2nd choice at West Ham
    Joe Murphy - 1st choice at Coventry

Paddy Kenny - probably 1st choice at Leeds (and may be available again)
    Graham Stack - free agent (played u21 for us)
    Rob Elliot - Newcastle 3rd choice (played u19 for us)
    Andy Lonergan - 2nd choice at Bolton (played u16 for us)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I can see a few big names following him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Easily in the top 10 international keepers of the last 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

good day for villa. given was becoming too injury prone to be having him risk picking up injuries on international duty

decent keeper, woefully overrated by many in ireland - great shot stopper but poor command of his area. hopefully this'll eek one last half decent season out of him for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Well after 125 games, Shay really doesn't owe us anything but I have to say I'm disappointed he didn't hang around at least until the next World Cup. It's a shame that he decided to go out on a bit of a low without a proper send off to acknowledge the service he's given the national team over the years.

Thinking about it, Shay's retirement leaves us with:

David Forde - 1st choice at Millwall
    Darren Randolph - 1st choice at Motherwell
    Keiren Westwood - 2nd choice at Sunderland (the first half of this season is crucial, if he's still not playing by Christmas he needs to look for a move somewhere)
    Stephen Henderson - 2nd choice at West Ham
    Joe Murphy - 1st choice at Coventry

Paddy Kenny - probably 1st choice at Leeds (and may be available again)
    Graham Stack - free agent (played u21 for us)
    Rob Elliot - Newcastle 3rd choice (played u19 for us)
    Andy Lonergan - 2nd choice at Bolton (played u16 for us)
    Brian Murphy - 2nd/3rd choice at QPR aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

good night sweet prince

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Given is an Irish legend, can't remember a competitive game where he wasn't in goals, going to be strange having a different man between the posts. Westwood has big boots to fill, will be interesting to see if he's up to the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

bullvine wrote: »
    Easily in the top 10 international keepers of the last 15 years

I'm not so sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Himself and the 2 Keanes were the 3 best Irish players I've seen anyway, fantastic servant, wish him all the best. Always came across as humble and genuine guy to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Big shame-the guy was another kilbane-turned up for every match and would walk on broken glass to play for Ireland-I wish we had more like him.
    It will be hard watching him play well for his club and not available for the national team. I bet the euro failure has hit him hard and expect to see the other Irish legends -Dunne,Duff and Keane follow suit..

Proved his class for his country time anf time again.

Penalty save in Nicosia for Brian Kerr's Ireland.

That save against Zidane's FK.

The save in the play-off 1st leg win over Iran (two one-on-ones in fact) that denied the Iranians a precious away goal.

A monumental performance in Moscow.

I don't think Westood being 2nd choice will change Trap's preference for him. He has stuck by other players when they were out of favour with their clubs.

I can't really see us finishing 2nd - I thought we had a fighting chance before but we were just so reliant on the big names.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Given should be persuaded to stay if possible, we don't have a replacement for him yet. Duff and Robbie Keane were the two I expected to quit, but Given and Dunne have more to give and are still needed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

adamski8 wrote: »
    a little bit annoying, for a goal keeper he isnt at the end of his career. i dont fully agree with the people who say he he owes us nothing and good luck to him because he wants to prolong his career. well he has shorted his career in an ireland sense and why? i dont know why but if its just to prolong a club career then i think its wrong. whats the point in prolonging his club career? more money? im sure he has plenty. more trophys? doubt he will be winning any.

he also does owe us something, he hasnt just helped the ireland team, the coaches im sure have helped him and also the fans have always supported him so i think if he is fit and in form he should leave it to the manager to not pick him when the time comes.

unless a player hates playing for their country or feels like they arent mentally capable of playing for some reason i dont agree with this early retirement lark. so he can play week in week out for a premier league team but not the odd ireland match. very strange. for the posters saying we shouldnt question his decision, show respect etc, give me a break, he has retired not died!

Club football is bread and butter for a professional footballer. It's not hard really to see why a player coming to the end of their career would choose to retire from internationals (an extra 8-10 games a season + the travel) can take a bit extra out of a player.

Plus, we don't know his reasons for retirement. Prehaps he feels that the team would be better off if he was to step aside, and give Westwood the chance to establish himself, as he could be our number 1 for the next decade potentially. The earlier he's given the No. 1 jersey the bettter in that regard.

Shay Given has given 16 years of loyal service and has been absoloutly magnificant every minute he has played for Ireland. As has been said, he owes absoloutly nothing, and I wish him a good few more years at Villa.

To the people who think Bonner was better than Given........no, just no!

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm not so sure!

Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

As Jason Statham said in the movie Snatch "Now, we are f**cked!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Ireland is losing a legend and a true gent in Given. He will be missed but he is entitled to retire after 125 caps.

Westwood has to be next best option without a doubt but Mignolet is very highly rated so I don't think he can oust him at Sunderland. Still good enough for first team football in the PL though I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

bullvine wrote: »
    I'm not so sure!

Care to elaborate?

Yeah, not too sure what the paramaters of your statement are tbh. If it's based on longevity he'd make it in, but this is only relative to how strong your rivlas to the jersey are, and aside from Keily who was quality for a few years there hasn't been that much pressure from genuinely high level goalkeepers during his reign.

If it's based on quality he certainly doesn't *easily* make the top 10 international list. Casillas, Van der Sar, Buffon, Cesar, Kahn and Neuer are far superior to Shay. He has a few shortcomings in his game to be considered up there with the very best. I'd have him in the next group of goalkeepers- Hart, Friedal, Lloris, Stekelenberg, Barthez, Handanovic among others.

Probably not the best thread for this sort of conversation, just don't think there's any need for hyperbole, I fully appreciate how excellent a servant he's been to the country down the years and he's contributed strongly to many a famous Irish victory, my favourite Given game being the playoff against Iran in the 02 qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just heard this. Gutted.

It's quite sad I think that his last appearances in an Irish shirt were not his best for the team. Personally, I don't think he was fully fit at the Euros. Maybe that's partly why he's retiring now: he wants to prolong his club career and give his body a break. I don't think anyone can fault him for that.

It should be remembered that between '02 and '12 he was one of the brightest, shining lights we had in a pretty dark, unhappy period. He not only earned us points but helped us to avoid embarrassment and a big slide down the rankings.

I worry about who will replace him. Westwood has not let us down but he is not getting game time and that's a worry. We've usually been pretty lucky with good goalkeepers. Shay obviously, and also Alan Kelly and Dean Kiely. I'm not sure Westwood is in this category, but he's the best we've got at the minute so good luck to him.

I'm grateful to Shay for what he's done for the team. I'm reminded of a conversation I had with an English language teacher a year or so ago. She had been to somewhere in the Middle East. I asked her what her class knew about Ireland. She said one of the first things the class replied with when she asked them was Shay Given. Funnily enough I think she may have been to Iran, and I suppose he would be remembered well there. Shay really has been a wonderful ambassador for us.

I've always looked out for his matches at club level and I still will. I normally cringe a little when I hear people say 'so and so makes me proud to be Irish' but I gotta say, Shay Given does genuinely make me proud to be Irish. Thanks for everything Shay and good luck at Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Absolute hero. He was a huge part of getting us to the Euros and it's a pity that his last few games went so badly for him.

Imo Given is hugely underrated by a lot of Irish people.

Hopefully Westwood can step up now. He looks a good prospect so hopefully he'll do it.

Yeah, not too sure what the paramaters of your statement are tbh. If it's based on longevity he'd make it in, but this is only relative to how strong your rivlas to the jersey are, and aside from Keily who was quality for a few years there hasn't been that much pressure from genuinely high level goalkeepers during his reign.

If it's based on quality he certainly doesn't *easily* make the top 10 international list. Casillas, Van der Sar, Buffon, Cesar, Kahn and Neuer are far superior to Shay. He has a few shortcomings in his game to be considered up there with the very best. I'd have him in the next group of goalkeepers- Hart, Friedal, Lloris, Stekelenberg, Barthez, Handanovic among others.

Probably not the best thread for this sort of conversation, just don't think there's any need for hyperbole, I fully appreciate how excellent a servant he's been to the country down the years and he's contributed strongly to many a famous Irish victory, my favourite Given game being the playoff against Iran in the 02 qualifiers.

Its not based on Quality, its based on what hes done on the international stage.

With the exception of Buffon, Casilias, Khan, Van Der Sar off the top of my head. You would be hard pressed to find a better international keeper in that time. Cesar and Neuer are better keepers that Given so is Jose Reina probably but they haven't done enough to be ahead of him as an international keeper if you get what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

syklops wrote: »
    As Jason Statham said in the movie Snatch "Now, we are f**cked!".

Proper fcuked ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

No great loss at this stage really, well past his sell by date.
    Time to move on and get Westwood some serious game time.

The future is bright.

Felexicon wrote: »
    No great loss at this stage really, well past his sell by date.
    Time to move on and get Westwood some serious game time.

The future is bright.

Yeah.

Given

-Premiership keeper of some repute for 15 years
    - World Cup and European Championship Experience
    - Champions League Experience
    - Plays regularly for his Premiership Club

Westwood:

-Can't get a game for Sunderland

No big loss indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Would prefer if he was staying on, who is going to be fit to fill his boots. Easily better than Packie. World class goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah.

Given

-Premiership keeper of some repute for 15 years
    - World Cup and European Championship Experience
    - Champions League Experience
    - Plays regularly for his Premiership Club

Westwood:

-Can't get a game for Sunderland

No big loss indeed..
    All in the past. It was proven in Poland that he is not up to international standard anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Simon cox just tweeted this to Shay Given

Simon CoxVerified‏@Scoxy31Real

@No1shaygiven the lads decided to send u a retiring present. Retire In Peace.

A0PtZkkCIAAzYdu.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

great keeper, but after his performance in the euros its the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Well said.

So at what age do you guys think it's acceptable for someone to quit playing for their country - but to continue turning out for their club?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Come on lads, he's given 16 years of service.
    club football is what pays his bills and while he has earned a lot he's got 2-4 years left with club football so let him stay as fit for it as he can.

We have the chance now to get someone in who will be the man in the gloves for the next 10 years so lets take it and stop moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

All in the past. It was proven in Poland that he is not up to international standard anymore

I think it was more blatantly obvious that he wasn't fit rather than past it. He has been a cracking servant for Ireland.

They said on Sky News earlier that he told Trappatoni that he wouldn't say no if there was a goalkeeper crisis in the future, tells you all you need to know about him. Great keeper, overrated and underrated equally.

• Advertisement

How can people honestly feel a couple of negative performances against the likes of Spain and Croatia, when we were being fairly decimated, mean he still isn't our best keeper?

Its like some people have never seen an Ireland (or EPL game) before June 10th and, just as importantly, seem to think that Ireland has another keeper who will be playing premiership football this year.

I mean Dunne had a relatively poor Euros, but the idea that I would say "it is for the best" if he announced his retirement is just as ridiculous.

Think about that for a moment.

How can he not be up for international football after getting us to the Euros? After yet another season of EPL football? Has your opinion of him really changed in the space of 10 days in June?

By contrast, if our only guaranteed EPL starter isn't "up to international standard anymore" (that makes me chuckle) then who the fcuk is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

noodler wrote: »
    Its like some people have never seen an Ireland (or EPL game) before June 10th and, just as importantly, seem to think that Ireland has another keeper who will be playing premiership football this year.

Henderson might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Although I'm sad to see him finish up with Ireland, I can't help but feel it's the right time. Thanks Shay, you've been an absolute hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I honestly dont think he mentally feels like he has it in him to go to another finals, not right now at least. This might, for all we know, turn into more of an extended rest period- I reckon that this is not the very last time we see him play for us. Regardless of how Westwood does I would not be surprised if, if we qualify for Brazil, Given is brought as the second choice keeper to Brazil if he has maintained consistent club form. In all fairness he would be playing if he felt mentally fit for it- not sure there is any point in forcing him to fly all the way to Kazakhstan if he is doubting his ability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Helix wrote: »
    good day for villa. given was becoming too injury prone to be having him risk picking up injuries on international duty

decent keeper, woefully overrated by many in ireland - great shot stopper but poor command of his area. hopefully this'll eek one last half decent season out of him for us

He wasn't overrated at all. He should've got a move to Arsenal or United when he was touted to go to those clubs, particularly when you think of the poor quality of keepers that have at times played for top clubs like that during his years at the top.

Villa are blessed to have a keeper of his quality, they are essentially an also ran club. Even at this twilight stage of his career his talents are wasted there.

• Advertisement

Really sad day for Irish football. Had a poor euros but didnt they all. Has served us really well and there is nobody anyway near as good as him currently waiting in the wings. People will mention Westwood but he will be No 2 for Sunderland this season and Forde is nowhere near the level of Shay. Sad to see some on here saying how it is time for him to go. Still our best keeper by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

People knocking his performances at the Euros (where he was clearly lacking fitness) forget that were it not for his heroics in Moscow, along with Dunne, we wouldn't have been there in the first place. He's been a briliant servant down through the years and he'll be sorely missed.

From his own perspective though it probably is the right time to go. At 36 it would be increasingly difficult to juggle the demands of both club and international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Shay Given is, without question, the finest goalkeeper we have ever had. In my time watching the team, you've had him, Kiely, Westwood, Kenny, Kelly, Peyton, Bonner, probably more.... A fabulous shot-stopper and decent with the ball on the deck - Someone posted above that his command of his area wouldnt be the best, and i agree, but with the likes of Dunne in front of him, that was never hugely important.

And he is still streets ahead of all those other names, no disrespect meant to any of them. Tob be honest, I reckon our best bet has to be to get Paddy Kenny back on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

He wasn't overrated at all. He should've got a move to Arsenal or United when he was touted to go to those clubs, particularly when you think of the poor quality of keepers that have at times played for top clubs like that during his years at the top.

Villa are blessed to have a keeper of his quality, they are essentially an also ran club. Even at this twilight stage of his career his talents are wasted there.

given isn't even the best keeper villa have had in the last 2 years ffs

and friedel was slipping while he was at villa park too

had given gone to united or arsenal he'd have been shipped out very, very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

alproctor wrote: »
    Shay Given is, without question, the finest goalkeeper we have ever had. In my time watching the team, you've had him, Kiely, Westwood, Kenny, Kelly, Peyton, Bonner, probably more.... A fabulous shot-stopper and decent with the ball on the deck - Someone posted above that his command of his area wouldnt be the best, and i agree, but with the likes of Dunne in front of him, that was never hugely important.

And he is still streets ahead of all those other names, no disrespect meant to any of them. Tob be honest, I reckon our best bet has to be to get Paddy Kenny back on board.

Bonner was a much better keeper than Given ever was, his command of the area was important in his club career, his defence at newcastle, city and villa looked a shambles in front of him and he never really got any blame for this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement