Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stopovers

• 13-08-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Just to let people know Buncrana town council have set up a motorhome stopover behind their tourist office,good to see a forward looking council for a change, see photos on Donagheys facebook page.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

On the subject of stopovers and aires I was wondering if there was not an opportunity for schools to earn extra income by allowing some of their carparks to be used as aires during the summer months and weekends. These carparks are generally centrally located and might be quite easily adapted for motorhome stopovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

MicktheMan wrote: »
    On the subject of stopovers and aires I was wondering if there was not an opportunity for schools to earn extra income by allowing some of their carparks to be used as aires during the summer months and weekends. These carparks are generally centrally located and might be quite easily adapted for motorhome stopovers.

We parked during the day in the bish in galway during the volvo ocean race and I was thinking exactly the same thing. Its a very welcome revenue stream I'm sure, insurance as always would probably put the kibosh on it unless there was 24 hour security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

moodrater wrote: »
    We parked during the day in the bish in galway during the volvo ocean race and I was thinking exactly the same thing. Its a very welcome revenue stream I'm sure, insurance as always would probably put the kibosh on it unless there was 24 hour security.

Insurance is a red herring.

If it is permissible to park a car parking a motorhome is no different. The operators/owners of parking areas without exception have notices disclaiming all responsibility for damage to or theft from vehicles using the parking.

The issue of security is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle in both cases, as with a car if the area is 'dodgy' don't park there.

When parked anywhere whether is a car or a motorhome make sure the vehicle is secured, keep the fingers crossed, the insurance premium paid up and hope the local pond-life don't show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Insurance is a red herring.

If it is permissible to park a car parking a motorhome is no different. The operators/owners of parking areas without exception have notices disclaiming all responsibility for damage to or theft from vehicles using the parking.

The issue of security is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle in both cases, as with a car if the area is 'dodgy' don't park there.

When parked anywhere whether is a car or a motorhome make sure the vehicle is secured, keep the fingers crossed, the insurance premium paid up and hope the local pond-life don't show up.

The above is true up to a certain point.
    The car park owner can only disclaim responsibility where yourself or a third party is responsible. If damage is caused by the bad upkeep of the car park, for example, if the disclaimer sign itself were to fall off the wall/post and damage your vehicle, then the owner is responsible. I learnt this many years ago when working for an insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The above is true up to a certain point.
    The car park owner can only disclaim responsibility where yourself or a third party is responsible. If damage is caused by the bad upkeep of the car park, for example, if the disclaimer sign itself were to fall off the wall/post and damage your vehicle, then the owner is responsible. I learnt this many years ago when working for an insurance company.

I suppose that would come under the 'if the area is dodgy don't park there' comment in my post. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

You don't always have a choice and who is going to check all the things that might fall down? walls , signs etc.

One pub car park, that I used to use a lot, had a drain down pipe that was held up by a top bracket only so was always swinging in the wind. It was like that for 12 years to my knowledge. So you just don't know.:)

Advertisement