Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Upgrading, or Start Fresh?

Options
  • 13-08-2012 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

I'm thinking the latter, but thought I'd get the experts' opinions first.

My brother has an old Presario SR1639UK that he wants to give to his gf for gaming, if it can be upgraded without spending "stupid money". What are your thoughts? Personally I think he'd be better off starting with a new build...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

A single core CPU is a serious bottle neck, even a bottom of the range Celeron G530 which costs €40 will be many times better. Old motherboard won't support a new/decent CPU. No point in upgrading, start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Start again - don't buy prebuilt machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mrpgri

Any upgrade to this will cost too much in my opinion. You'd probably get a better cheap pc in one of the supermarkets.

mrpgri wrote: »
    Any upgrade to this will cost too much in my opinion. You'd probably get a better cheap pc in one of the supermarkets.

Unless its a Trinity APU based machine don't buy one from a supermarket - build one for €300

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mrpgri

Unless its a Trinity APU based machine don't buy one from a supermarket - build one for €300

True, I was really thinking of one of the Medion PC's that come available every now and again. Some of them have decent enough specs for the money.

• Advertisement

mrpgri wrote: »
    True, I was really thinking of one of the Medion PC's that come available every now and again. Some of them have decent enough specs for the money.

The trinity APU one was awesome :P

If the GF wants in on gaming buy her a PC - gonna save you so much trouble in the future if you can get her into your hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

As I thought, and thanks for the feedback.

Not my gf as stated in the OP, but thanks for the feedback lads. Appreciate it.

Advertisement