Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lend of a rat trap cage?

Options
  • 13-08-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone has one I could use for a few days/week? Neither Woodies nor B&Q stock any cages, just small spring traps.

Tried mouse traps and then some diy traps but the focker is the too big for normal live traps (bucket traps), body about the size of my hand and counting the tail he's a monster...

Will try a figure 4 deadfall trap but I'd rather catch him alive and release out in Connemara far away from people.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

biko wrote: »
    Will try a figure 4 deadfall trap
    ric-flair-figure-four.jpg
    Looks pretty inhumane to me pal. Bah gawd King.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've never seen a rat trap cage.
    Borrow a hungry cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Ive got one if you want to pick it up . Im in corcullen but i'll be working in salthill and knocknacarra during the week if you like i can bring it there either

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

moy83 wrote: »
    Ive got one if you want to pick it up . Im in corcullen but i'll be working in salthill and knocknacarra during the week if you like i can bring it there either
    Sound, if you can bring it tomorrow I'll PM you and you can drop it off or I can pick it up in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

worthless.gif
    Get one if you catch him.

• Advertisement

No worries, once the little bugger is caught I'll put up some snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Will try a figure 4 deadfall trap but I'd rather catch him alive and release out in Connemara far away from people.

What, is there no one left in Conamara? I was away for the two week shut down but I didn't think everyone left home, better make a few calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I'd rather catch him alive and release out in Connemara far away from people.
    Just kill it. They're vermin and its not like their population is under threat. Why release him to terrorise someone else?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Somebody said years ago that the Rat has a real place on the chain in that he disposes of dead matter and what would happen if the poor despised and much maligned critter disappeared ? Also where can i get movin' smileys like those a few posts ago ? THANKS .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

paddyandy wrote: »
    Somebody said years ago that the Rat has a real place on the chain in that he disposes of dead matter and what would happen if the poor despised and much maligned critter disappeared?
    Meh, people always say stuff like this about disgusting animals and insects.

Ooooh but slugs help aerate the soil. Feck off, kill them all with fire and salt.

It's natural selection at work. If these creatures wanted to survive they would
    a) Be smarter
    and
    b) Not be creeps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Awww jaysus, please tell me you can put a spoiler over the picture or something! :eek::eek: There's some other Thread somewhere with loadsa pics of hamsters/mice in it and I keep forgetting what it is and end up looking at them! Yucky. :)

/yuckkkk

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Meh, people always say stuff like this about disgusting animals and insects.

Ooooh but slugs help aerate the soil. Feck off, kill them all with fire and salt.

It's natural selection at work. If these creatures wanted to survive they would
    a) Be smarter
    and
    b) Not be creeps

Rats are legendary survivors ....there is one near everybody who lives at ground level .There are some great stories about them and Rat's milk is the nearest to human milk and is a reason why they are favoured in experiments .I love them myself..ones in pet shops but my cat would'nt agree i believe so i never got one .

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

Without meaning to be captain obvious, wear thick gloves and put newspaper under cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

Ok got one thanks to the trap kindly lent by moy83 and have snaps as promised.

Set up was some oats on the trap door and peanut butter inside a cut Pringles can, rat must fully enter trap to get to it.

After a few nights he got brave enough to enter trap and got caught.
    However, even approaching the cage got him really riled up (understandably) and so there was no way I'd put him in my car. The trap has a gravity door and I could not be certain he wouldn't be able to get out while driving (disaster for sure).
    So I decided to end it and dispose of him.

Trap set up in garden. No rat in this pic.

Dead (don't click if you don't want to see a dead rat!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

pretty big alright.

keep an eye out for his "family"

you know you are never more than 6 ft from a rat.

Advertisement