Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The price of a Mars bar in Dunnes

• 13-08-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

They charged between 57c and 61c up to last week. Now 80c. Inflation :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

A Mars a day helps you work, rest and eventually get diabetes.

Honestly...it's a Masterfoods product. Their core business is pet food. Don't you get it yet?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A Mars a day helps you work, rest and eventually get diabetes.

Honestly...it's a Masterfoods product. Their core business is pet food. Don't you get it yet?!?

THey also do the mars range and uncle bens and dolmio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,048 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to Rip-Off Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Did the price of them bars go up in other shops as well?

Otherwise...'the difference is, we are Irish' :D

*gets coat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

57-61cent? that seems very low, I thought most supermarkets were 80cent+

I notice these prices, but never pay them and think it strange that anybody does.

Looking at old bargain alerts last year I posted one for €1.25-1.29 for 5 full size mars bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,470 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've never seen them for the last several years less than about 80c or so.It can't be the chocolate content there's hardly that much in a Mars,how does Aldi/Lidle sell huge bars of chocolate for a Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kneemos wrote: »
    how does Aldi/Lidle sell huge bars of chocolate for a Euro.
    Its sort of a different market, I was saying the same in the coke thread to explain why you might have similar enough prices for a cold 500ml and a room temp 2L bottle of coke.

The guy buying the single mars or coke is usually looking to consume it right away, so is willing to pay a premium for the convenience. The manufacturers will usually set a higher price on buying say 100 individual retail bars than 100 of the same bar in mulitpacks marked "part of a mulitpack, not for individual sale". This has no legal bearing, but some shops do comply. If you go to any €2 type shop you will get 5 bars for €2 as a rule, some might be slightly smaller than usual though.

I expect lidl/aldi have mars about 80cent too, if they stock them.

Mars in tesco right now.
    1 for 70c
    2 for 1.30
    4 for 2.59
    7 for 3.39
    8 for 4.00 (2x 4 packs)

The 7 pack is the cheapest per bar.

Many people avoid multipacks as they tend to eat them all.

I do remember when I worked in a shop about 25 years ago they were priced at about 35p,so maybe they're resonable enough .Still 80c sounds a lot for a mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

kneemos wrote: »
    I do remember when I worked in a shop about 25 years ago they were priced at about 35p,so maybe they're resonable enough .Still 80c sounds a lot for a mars.

They were probably a lot bigger then, and more solid. I think that since then they've changed the recipe and shrunk them to a shadow of their former self.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They were probably a lot bigger then, and more solid. I think that since then they've changed the recipe and shrunk them to a shadow of their former self.

Now that you mention it you could drive nails with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hasn't this happened with all sweets and treats? Not just down to cost cutting but because of calorie content etc. I remember listening to the radio when a pr guy from Cadburys was trying to defend the ever shrinking dairy milk. Not only have the squares got smaller, but the gaps in between the squares has grown:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hasn't this happened with all sweets and treats? Not just down to cost cutting but because of calorie content etc. I remember listening to the radio when a pr guy from Cadburys was trying to defend the ever shrinking dairy milk. Not only have the squares got smaller, but the gaps in between the squares has grown:D

I think that the ever-shrinking Mars Bar set the precedent for shrinking everything else.:(

... as for Cadbury, all of their stuff has been butchered and reconstituted by the cost and profit conscious Kraft, and the hardest job is had by their pr crowd who still haven't (and never will probably) convinced people that the new products aren't inferior to the old ones. They should never have been allowed to get their greasy hands on Cadbury.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I think that the ever-shrinking Mars Bar set the precedent for shrinking everything else.:(

... as for Cadbury, all of their stuff has been butchered and reconstituted by the cost and profit conscious Kraft, and the hardest job is had by their pr crowd who still haven't (and never will probably) convinced people that the new products aren't inferior to the old ones. They should never have been allowed to get their greasy hands on Cadbury.:mad:

More the fact that it was only a week in the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

My favourite bar is 'Catch' and I'm usually charged between 85-90c in shops, but Catch is sold in Dunnes Stores for 65c at the checkouts and it's been like that for ages. Happy days.:)

Advertisement