Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoorBell Humming

Options
  • 13-08-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Id say i am screwing up something simple here. I checked the fuseboard and i see 2 wires coming out of the transformer for doorbell, Blue, and black. where the ringer goes in hall, I have 2 cables, (blue and black) and then at the door i have one cable blue and black which i assume is going back to hall?. My theory is ,that to create the circuit I need to match the 2 blacks and the 2 blues at the ringer unit and enter either side of the terminals of door bell, but when i do, the unit is humming, the light is on at the buzzer, but when i depress, the humming stops, am i doing something silly here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

tred wrote: »
    Id say i am screwing up something simple here. I checked the fuseboard and i see 2 wires coming out of the transformer for doorbell, Blue, and black. where the ringer goes in hall, I have 2 cables, (blue and black) and then at the door i have one cable blue and black which i assume is going back to hall?. My theory is ,that to create the circuit I need to match the 2 blacks and the 2 blues at the ringer unit and enter either side of the terminals of door bell, but when i do, the unit is humming, the light is on at the buzzer, but when i depress, the humming stops, am i doing something silly here

Assuming what you are saying it you have 2 2 core cables at the bell, and one each at door button and at transformer, try this....

Connect blue and black into the door pushbutton.

Connect both blacks together at the bell itself (it can be either wire from either cable, but for easy explaining, connect black to black, and both blues into bell)

And connect the blue and black into the transformer, likely to the 12v terminals if it has other voltage ortions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Assuming what you are saying it you have 2 2 core cables at the bell, and one each at door button and at transformer, try this....

Bingo, that was it...THANKS

I did that, i put the 2 blacks in the top connection of bell, and the 2 blues in the bottom, if the blue and black at the door bell are not joined or door bell dpressed, its buzzing like mad, its sticking, its not doing a ding dong, just a ding on the button press.......I simplifgied the collours above as hes using Network cable and just used 2 strands for the wiring..

But you only want to connect the 2 blues into the bell, one into each connection, and the 2 blacks to each other only, not into the bell terminals at all.

What you have done is connect the bell permanently to the transformer, and thats why its humming.

Bingo, that was it...THANKS

No bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement