Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pizza in Galway

Options
  • 13-08-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Just like the title says!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I got 2 slices from the place opposite the Front Door pub last Saturday night. It was the best pizza I had ever tasted.
    That said, I was rat-arsed drunk and would eat battered cardboard with ketchup. Seriously, it was awesome.

Other than that, I adore the Calobrese in Milano. It's expensive but very tasty.

I used to go to Bianco in Westside but they closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

molly09 wrote: »
    Just like the title says!
    would say the tide full inn in kinvara but that's in county galway. prob frequent the place beside monroes the most. great pizza with a beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

It's between Venice and the place beside Buskers, love both!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Pizza & Pasta Napoli I think it's called. For the price you can't go wrong.

Otherwise that place next to Monroes is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Pizza and Pasta Napoli end of. Only genuine real pizza in Galway, never mind the frozen toppings of your 4Stars and biscuit base Monroes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Pizza and Pasta Napoli end of. Only genuine real pizza in Galway, never mind the frozen toppings of your 4Stars and biscuit base Monroes etc.

Definitely, €3.50 for a massive slice, meal in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sinorita

Definitely has to be Mizzioni's on the top of Eyre Square. Delish!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Napoli

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

RIP Bianconi...

completely different, but Napoli is very delish.

Monroes has nostalgia factor the odd time.

Massimo do a pretty nifty beet and goats cheese (it is actually much better than it sounds!) - bit pricey but good on the 'deal' night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

inisboffin wrote: »
    Massimo do a pretty nifty beet and goats cheese (it is actually much better than it sounds!) - bit pricey but good on the 'deal' night.

A big group of us were there last friday. Their menu is now cooked by Cava so no more pub grub and prices are up. Pizzas looked like burnt pieces of cardboard with a meager amount of toppings. Out of 15+ people I didn't hear anything positive; it was at best OK. €15 for just ok.

Used to love their pizza. I hate when pubs stop serving pub grub and get fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

definitely the one by Tigh Neachtains on Cross Street - best pizza in town BY FAR.

monroes used to be good - but had one recently - nearly broke my tooth on the "base" and it was actually quite horrible - the frozen ristorante ones are a hell of a lot better than monroes these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

If you are venturing as far as Barna, the pizza place in the Twelve Hotel does very tasty carryout - slightly addicted to the one with potato on it, noms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think Monroe's pizza is the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Ed's New York Pizza was the best till it closed, then it was all of a much of a muchness for a bit. Pizza Pasta Napoli is the best by miles these days IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think Monroe's pizza is the nicest.

Sorry to be negative twice in a row, but seriously? I haven't eaten there for a couple years, I admit. But last time I did they were using frozen bases.

Just how many pints did you have before arriving at this conclusion?

newkie wrote: »
    Sorry to be negative twice in a row, but seriously? I haven't eaten there for a couple years, I admit. But last time I did they were using frozen bases.

I haven't eaten there in a while now but I always loved Munroes Pizza thought it was delicious, most times I ate there no pints were involved.

That said its been a few years since I had pizza there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

None.

I don't drink :)

Fully agree with you Newkie but some people here like the Irish version of pizzas, its nowhere near the real thing and not a patch taste wise but its the same way that Indians and Turkish places just serve up dishes with a view to the local palate. Unfortuntate really as it shouldnt be called pizza, especially Monroes and their crunchy base, when have you have ever seen a pizza with a crunchy base in Italy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

definitely the one by Tigh Neachtains on Cross Street - best pizza in town BY FAR.

Think they're nice alright but it's usually just the one topping on each pizza. Suppose you could order a full one with a few toppings but don't get the hype the ready made ones get. Great when your in a rush after a few drinks but that's about it.

s_carnage wrote: »
    Think they're nice alright but it's usually just the one topping on each pizza. Suppose you could order a full one with a few toppings but don't get the hype the ready made ones get. Great when your in a rush after a few drinks but that's about it.
    They do sundried tomato+mushroom, potato+red onion and a ham+mushroom. But most small pizza places in Italy would usually just have one topping/flavour slices e.g Pepperoni, Salsiccia, Margherita, its traditional.

• Advertisement

They do sundried tomato+mushroom, potato+red onion and a ham+mushroom. But most small pizza places in Italy would usually just have one topping/flavour slices e.g Pepperoni, Salsiccia, Margherita, its traditional.

It wouldn't be called Pepperoni in Italy though :pac:, Pepperoni is a pepper in Italian.

My Italian friends were very confused when buying a Pepperoni pizza in Ireland for the first time as it didn't have peppers on it.

It wouldn't be called Pepperoni in Italy though :pac:, Pepperoni is a pepper in Italian.

My Italian friends were very confused when buying a Pepperoni pizza in Ireland for the first time as it didn't have peppers on it.
    I was trying the easy explanation for the un-trained Pizza/Italy experts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A big group of us were there last friday. Their menu is now cooked by Cava so no more pub grub and prices are up. Pizzas looked like burnt pieces of cardboard with a meager amount of toppings. Out of 15+ people I didn't hear anything positive; it was at best OK. €15 for just ok.

Used to love their pizza. I hate when pubs stop serving pub grub and get fancy.

Yeah I saw you had posted that before. I wonder if you just got a bad batch? I've had them twice now and they were lovely. Thin crust *artisan* style so not everyone's typical pizza. They do pizza and a pint one night I think it's 12 quid.

I was trying the easy explanation for the un-trained Pizza/Italy experts there.

Yeah I know, I was just acting the clown!

+1billion.

When I moved here I asked someone where I should go for a Pizza, they almost fell over themselves telling me how great Monroes was, tried it and dear lord that pre-made, frozen, bready base is gack, the sauce is alright and the toppings are grand but I'd only have one again if friends really, really wanted to go there for pints and a slice.

s_carnage wrote: »

Anytime I've had pizza in Italy it has a maximum of 3 toppings + cheese and sauce, it's like a rule in certain areas.

When you cram a million toppings ontp a pizza you can't get any distinct taste, it's silly.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yeah I saw you had posted that before. I wonder if you just got a bad batch? I've had them twice now and they were lovely. Thin crust *artisan* style so not everyone's typical pizza. They do pizza and a pint one night I think it's 12 quid.

I've tasted the pizza in Massimo a few times and I'd never be pushed to buy one unless it was the Pizza an a pint for €11.50 deal.

Last time a friend had one the base was undercooked and slightly doughy but I will admit that was not long after they opened so they might have still been getting use to the stone oven, after all, it's not like they'd be cooking many pizza's in cava, recipes take a while to perfect.

That said, it's not "fancy" either, some nice cheeses and the odd exotic topping, but it's still just pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gassdfres

mine
    packet of tortillas ,jar of ragu {hardly any veg in it not like dolmio which is full of veg}packet of mozarella
    get a few spoons of the sauce and put on the tortilla put the cheese on top put into hot oven 3 min best thin crust pizza going
    put some thinly sliced ham,mushroom chili flakes or whatever your havin on
    simple and quick
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I miss Eds and Bistro Bianconi. Napoli is probably the best in town. Usually out of convenience and price I'd go for Apache. 10 euro for any pizza, any size. It's complete hit and miss. Sometimes I've had it and it's been really good, other times not so much

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I miss Eds and Bistro Bianconi. Napoli is probably the best in town. Usually out of convenience and price I'd go for Apache. 10 euro for any pizza, any size. It's complete hit and miss. Sometimes I've had it and it's been really good, other times not so much

Ed works in Napli now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement