Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After the Boom. Where are you living ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where To wrote: »
    People used to laugh at me during the boom.

**** you ******!!

:pac:

Are you Tommy Tiernan?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Renting an apartment with the gf (well actually fiancee now since she said yes, Woohoo! :))

Haven't got enough spare cash to save, so no mortgage for the near future. Currently in the process of looking for a decent house to rent for the next couple of years or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Renting a house abroad. Planning on returning to Ireland in 2013. Looking to buy a house in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Snowie wrote: »
    living with my parents :(

No morgage no gf no life/ saving

Hoping to leave Ireland in november :) France or Austria :cool:

I'm considering France too but my level of fluency is greatly exaggerated while under the influence of alcohol.
    Would absolutely love to live permanently there. Think my arrogant obnoxious personality would work wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Bought a nice but modest house about 6 years ago, could have spent a huge amount more than I did, took out a tracker when I eventually fugured out what they were, working with a reasonable wage and employment fairly stable, so all in all, could be an awful lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got the keys to my new (ha, 200 years old) house a few weeks back, another 6 months before I can move in though.

Started working one month before Lehman, lasted 2 years before voluntary redundancy with future looking dim.. Live in Vietnam now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Renting. Hopefully might try and join the housing ladder in the next year or so, but the 110% mortgage the bank tried to flog me about 7 years ago (so glad I didn't get involved in that), will be probably only 60% now if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Back at home with parents after splitting with bf. My house (huge negative equity) is rented out and I'll move in when the lease is up. Will have to take on extra work to pay mortgage but that's doable. My job is great and is safe so that's a positive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bought a house last year after renting for about 9 years. Very lucky in that the mortgage is quite affordable (we bought what we could afford) and I was lucky enough to get a great new job recently.

Have no plans to head anywhere. Both of us are lucky to have good enough jobs so we'll hopefully continue to stay here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

left before the crash, now renting n canada, gonna invest in a house in ireland for next to nothing and move back to it in a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Pottler wrote: »
    On paper, I lost millions(several) in the property crash. I still own it all, it's just not worth as much. I also built and sold a fair few houses on sites I owned. Surely it can't all be "students living with their mams" on AH? I'm feeling a bit out of place. Nothing new there really though. As consolation, I drove a pile of sh1te before, during and after the boom so nothing much changed there either. Funnily enough, it's just as hard to get lads who actually want to work, still. But there's an awful lot of whinging about the lack of work going on. Ain't no lack of work here, just a lack of people really willing to work. If your eyes are open, a recession is a chance for the smaller guy to get ahead-there are opportunities everywhere, literally everywhere, you just have to look.

In what sectors though?
    Construction in tatters
    Transport being ruined by diesel prices
    IT is been shipped abroad
    Where are these opportunities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I pray every day and thank the lord that i had some kind of divine intervention and went into the bank that rainy day about 4 years ago and said i want to change my mortgage to a tracker ,

we both worked our ass,s off 6 day weeks for years to buy a nice sensible house thats now costing less than the average rent cost per month , was made redundant in march and found new job and were doing just ok ( just ok). I dred to think what would have happened if we had gone crazy with new cars and over priced house

Dont meen this to sound like a smug post, im just imagining what some people are going though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

o1s1n wrote: »
    Renting and saving. I was very lucky to get into a good career out of college 4 years ago just before everything really went to ****e.

Waiting for the house market to really bottom out and then BOOM! 4 bedroom, two sitting room, too many bathrooms to count house for peanuts.

Peanuts!

That's the dream anyway...!

Don't forget me when you make it bro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Bought in 2005 but relatively small mortgage.
    Between the tracker & the increased TRS it's more affordable than rent at the minute.
    If I'd taken out a €300k + mortgage & was paying €1,400 a month I would have bailed out years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Living with the folks in Cavan during the summer whilst working in accounts for a local business, living in Galway from September to May every year then for college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Living Somewhere in permanent despair at a country I moved back to where ordinary hardworking peoples dreams lie shattered, where effort & ambition is not rewarded, where people ( who bother to ) work and have typically 50% of their salary taken away in taxes & stealth charges,& where public " wealth" & where resources are still languidly misspent & wasted despite the country being officially bankrupt .
    Im living In despair at a country where despite massive rejection of the old status quo & ways all the " decision makers/ leaders/politicians " are on holidays ; have been for a month already and will remain on full pay & not working for another 4-8 weeks while people are desperate & the country has never been in a worse financial situation since the inception of the state.

It dosnt matter where you are physically ; these issues are not going away : (

:(
    Maybe I shouldn't have started thinking about it : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Think someone was looking down on me. Bought a derilict cottage 1996. Done it up over the next 8 years and ended up with 3 mortgages with no payment protection. Got them all combined in summer of 06 with a tracker mortgage. Had a very bad injury 5 months later which left me unable to work for next 4 years. Had to retrain and change career fairly late in life but it all could've ended up so much different. Think i could have sold and upgraded during the boom but always liked the area i'm living in. i'm way to cautious i think. Not always a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Renting at the minute but me and the Mrs are working our asses off to save as much as possible and hopefully buy a house in the next two years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Renting a house share with two friends at the minute.

Plan to rent somewhere with the girlfriend in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

1ZRed wrote: »
    The boom came and went before I was old enough to ever benefit form it so same place - at home.

Exactly this

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

After the Boom. Where will you be living?
    I hope to be either dead or living safely underground on a lifetimes supply of stolen grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

We came to Ireland with €1000 in our pocket 6 years ago, saved hard for a few of years, bought a nice house in 2010.
    Probably in ten or twenty grand neg equity at the moment but couldn't care less, we've gone from living in a caravan to a lovely house. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Same as always. Worked my butt off before, during and after the boom, never screwed any of my customers when everyone else was doing just that, they stayed loyal and I'm busier than ever. Own the house, going nowhere, unless big Phil decides to sieze it or nationalise it. With this lot, you never do know.

Fine Gael are well-known for nationalising things...

I'm sharing rent in a 3 bedroom place in Terenure. Good location, costing me very little cos I'm in the tiniest box room you've ever seen. I'm earning sh*t money at the moment, so not saving a dime, but if I get a new job then I should end up on a much better salary, then I'll be laughing.

No desire to buy a house in the short-term. Renting suits me grand. I like not having anything tying me down. Will probably look into it in a few years, but I'm trying to build a decent career first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

We own our house mortgage free, built it back in 06 with a credit union loan and just paid it off two years ago! We were lucky though, we were going to get a mortgage to finish off the house and they were offering way more than we needed but luckily my partner's father has a sensible head on him and told him not to go near them. Still dont have a penny though with two kids and childcare but I know we are so so lucky to have what we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Bought a house with the missus in 2005, still paying the mortgage despite my income roughly halving since then. Miles into negative equity, but as long as we can pay the mortgage we're happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Renting a three bed terrace for a bit below the going rent for our area (though the house is nowhere near the standard of most of the rental stock in Clontarf), isn't worth the other half's time working thanks to childcare costs so supporting a family of four on a lower salary (and far lower take-home) than I had when I was a singleton 5 years ago.

I'm hoping things will improve salary wise over the next few years as I'm lucky to be working in a growth area of IT (Business Intelligence) and our tax situation will improve next year when we're married and I can avail of the other half's tax credits. Goal would be to start saving early next year and hopefully look at buying somewhere of our own in the next 3/4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Renting a flat, no plans to buy any time soon, and the thought of buying in a different country is more appealing than buying here. So, biding my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

If your eyes are open, a recession is a chance for the smaller guy to get ahead-there are opportunities everywhere, literally everywhere, you just have to look.

Agreed & plenty of cheap houses around for first time buyers, I'd love to be looking for a house at the moment. Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Kat1170

o1s1n wrote: »
    WTF?? It's a tank! A charming tank!

Thought it was Aladins magic lamp :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Had just been approved (provisionally anyway) for a mortgage, circa 2006, when one night I had a dream. David Mc Williams came to me and said NO! STOP! DON'T DO IT! But I did anyway...I ravaged him...

Renting now. I is so ashamed. I can't even tell the parents.
    The other David said it is a dirty word, is renting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I was 19 when the recession began so I was doing a PLC course and living at home. After working for a few years and renting for the last two I decided to go to university last year so I'm renting with my girlfriend and going to college. So glad that I wasn't old enough to buy any property, I can't get life insurance anyway so probably wouldn't have regardless!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    In my own house in rural Laois, mortgage-free and glad that there seem to be so many bargains going in the shops now that the boom has burst - as I knew years beforehand that it would. For me the Celtic Tiger was déjà vu all over again. I experienced and helped pay for the Nordic banks' big bust twenty years ago.
    But few would listen to me when I said it would all end in tears if people didn't get a hold of themselves.:rolleyes:

Were you told you were cribbing and moaning and to have a hand in your own death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

I sold a town-house in a large town JUST as the recession was beginning THANK GOD - I got 100k more than the house is worth now. Bought an old house in rural area with a lot of land and the exchange price between the two left me breaking even, ie. same mortgage. However with cut-backs etc. I was struggling with various other loans. But now with all the ECB cuts, my mortgage on this house with tracker has reduced by €300 a month - I'm better off than I was in the boom! Have 2 wood-burning stoves now in the house + this Winter, no more gas heating bills ....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Seeing as teaching jobs were being cut left right and centre, the mrs and I got out, now living in Abu Dhabi and loving it, very rare we hear talk of the "r" word now as there really aint a recession out here.

Advertisement