Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Source Community - Online Hackerspace

Options
  • 13-08-2012 9:09pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would any one here be interested in setting up an online hackerspace for open source development? I just had a notion and it would seem like an idea one could run with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

How would it work? Would it just take the form of a wiki where people can share code and project ideas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well the idea would be open for discussion, but a wiki would be an idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

an online hackerspace for open source development?
    I've read about hackerspace but never been involved... how would the online equivalent differ from Sourceforge, Github or the more ubuntu specific Launchpad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I guess it could be interesting to have some sort of online social/informal space where people could share projects they're working on, code snippets, etc. I'm not even living in Ireland at the moment and I'm not a member of any hackerspaces, so an online one is interesting to me. What kind of resources would we need if we were to follow through with the idea? I suppose just an IRC or a mailing list to get started?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I was thinking, a group could form online to develop software for open source release. Where someone would have an idea they would like to develop, but would not be able to follow through given the scale of their idea or lack of expertise in certain aspects outlined in a design document.

It would be a way of socially connecting with others and sharing code. Maybe someone could set up an FTP server at home or online for sharing and use networking sites in place for interaction and discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 clint0134

Hey Guys! I stumbled upon this thread when trying to find if anyone else has put together an online hackerspace. Even though I'm over in Brooklyn NY, I am fully interested in making this happen and would provide the server space for it if there would be help in building the infrastructure of it! Any takers???
    Clint

Yeah I'd be a taker. How about setting up an IRC server for chat purposes, despite there being countless other methods of communication out there.

Advertisement