Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will be the next boom?

• 13-08-2012 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Its going to happen
    doesnt matter how bad things look now
    its been proven that Ireland (and the eu but **** them) have had its up and downs as regards to economic crisis
    when will be the next boom? of course when the next boom happens their will be another economic crisis right after :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Halloween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

2020's.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

*Inflates brown paper penny sweet bag, squeezes the end closed, sneaks up behind saiint and slams it between both palms*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

There was never a boom in the first place, just a binge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When people learn to speak properly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

By the time we realise we're in it, it'll be on too late and we'll be heading for recession again..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ah OP, there won't be, unless of course you're in Bray for the Fireworks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

When the Rothsfcukinchilds say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

if we were to follow historical trends. these "recessions" tend to last 15- 20 years, then maybe an economy should see growth in the higher single figures, but this crisis seems to be quiet different so its difficult to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Hopefully in 2015 or 2016 when I finish college. That would just be so handy!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Omackeral wrote: »

When people learn to speak properly!

you sir just failed at trying to get thank you's
    good day

When the Rothsfcukinchilds say so.

along with the Bilderberg group .:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

In the year 2525 (if man is still alive)

arnt we all suppose to die this year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

They generally occur in seven year cycles. So starting around 2014 to 2015. However most people wont recognise it until its far too late and will repeat the mistakes they made in 2005-2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

2021. I can PM you the youtube video proving this if you want, but I'm banned from linking to it on After Hours, the Politics forum, and two other forums :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

There will actually be a mini boom in the next few years.

Scortho wrote: »
    They generally occur in seven year cycles. So starting around 2014 to 2015. However most people wont recognise it until its far too late and will repeat the mistakes they made in 2005-2007.

look on the bright side , we will probably have another tall object in the middle of town that means absolutly **** all and spend millions on building it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Any second now...BOOM!

Fuk me that's annoying. I promise to stop soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Never again hopilly booms are bad. by their nature they are not sustainable and always lead to bust.

A nice sustainable growth of 2 to 3 % is about right and what we should wish for.

But when will that happen. Who knows, there is a possibility we may not even achieve that again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

saiint wrote: »
    you sir just failed at trying to get thank you's
    good day

Haha. :pac:

Probable just another grammar natzi ... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

look on the bright side , we will probably have another tall object in the middle of town that means absolutly **** all and spend millions on building it :D

haha a relation of mine had the contract for that! recall him saying that he wished that they put one of the ugly b******s in every town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Id say around 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

You're all so thick, it's been known for thousands of years that the next boom will happen on the 21st of December this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Its going to happen
    doesnt matter how bad things look now
    its been proven that Ireland (and the eu but **** them) have had its up and downs as regards to economic crisis
    when will be the next boom? of course when the next boom happens their will be another economic crisis right after :D

When will be the next boom? When blow up the Death Star we do. Then believe in the force you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Firstly, you have to differentiate the Celtic Tiger from the property bubble.

Then you have to look at our GDP and GNP growth from when (1) Joined the Euro (2) Joined the single monetary union.

What becomes clear, using hindsight, is the 'Celtic Tiger' was merely a catch up period of growth. There is a series of facinating articles titled "Chasing the Irish Hare" and "The paper tiger" which goes into more detail.

Then we have policies such as Social Partnership and SSIA's and everything contained in the Mahon Report. This is what is commonly referred to as the property bubble and is completely FF's unsustainable design.

When will we have a boom like that again? My guess is never... because I will never vote for a FF government again and I will ensure people never forget what they did to this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Haha. :pac:

Probable just another grammar natzi ... :cool:

You make it so tempting. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Aren't we already kind of experiencing another boom? Instead of going mad buying houses, we're going mad buying other people's debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When they re-release another John lee Hooker ' Boom Boom Boom ' album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would say towards the end of next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The next time Timmy Mac commentates a basketball game...

BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going on demographics and other stuff I'd say mid 2020's will kick it off again. The tiger cubs just gone have had a load of kids on the back of the good times. We've the fastest growing demographic in Europe. We've made babies to beat the band. Those babies will eventually require facilities and services and housing when they hit maturity. Badabing we'll have another commodities need and the likelihood of a commodities boom. Or fcuking huge emigration. Or a massive depression with soup kitchens. Or a combination of all three.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

James Lovelock (of Gaia Theory fame) gave a talk in Dublin in 2009 during which he predicted that the global population would decline to around 1 billion by 2100 due to global warming and rising sea levels.

He predicted that Ireland would be one of the best places to be when it all kicks off -- relatively temperate climate, relatively mountainous, island etc.

Boom time.

Only catch is that he also predicted we would need to develop an excellent army, since the entire population of mainland Europe will be trying to move here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Only catch is that he also predicted we would need to develop an excellent army, since the entire population of mainland Europe will be trying to move [ here.
    The Dutch are pretty good at building Dams ...they could be let them in to help sort out any ' ice cap melting overflow '.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Many companies have a lot of liquidity built up on their balance sheets but so not know how to invest the money. There has been a huge increase in money supply. There are a few ways things could go. I had predicted a return to growth by May this year and October at the latest. I am now worried more about the Euro break up. It is difficult to know what might happen. If the Euro breaks up we could end up without a currency to replace it. This might mean banks issuing checks instead of money or something like crude financial instruments. The increased use of laser payments and maybe no change or change in Euro but for say a 5% charge.

Hyper hyper inflation of say 5000% and the collapse of all government spending. Teachers would end up teaching in class sizes of 100 pupils and there would be no medical care for the elderly, cancer patients etc.

In this though I am being a bit silly maybe. The first thing I said is more likely companies will move into areas that are seen to be profitable as greed outweighs fear very quickly in business culture. There is more risk now but often its when its about to end that I get the jitters most.

Be ready for what you don't expect, things like technologies that replace fossil fuels and the creation of different systems of food distribution. Market manipulations that are agreed even though they go a bit against the idea of free trade. The world has got smaller but has not figured out how to use this yet. Competitive cooperation is going to be required. Financial instruments could be used to unwind current debt problems in a systematic way that will maximise yields but that will happen more through political changes.

So in other words October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would say towards the end of next year

i should have elaborated a bit further.

i think things will pick up well towards the end of next year but the growth will be stifled by a depressed property and building market.
    if and when the next big one starts is anyones guess but the banks/fianna fail/developers can not be let get away with it if it happens again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Tulips ...that's where the clever money is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Contracts sir on a fine subject. I hope that another boom comes soon as I had so much fun the last time. I remember all those weekends on the lash both home and abroad. Driving up north for a flat screen 50" and having to buy a Navara pickup to bring it home. Heading to Prague on stag nights and coming home to a home coming party in the pub. I really really do miss spending all my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

The average duration of the 11 recessions between 1945 and 2001 is 10 months.

According to this wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recessions_in_the_United_States

See the sentence directly before footnote 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

If by boom you mean growth fuelled by reckless personal borrowing, insane government expenditure and inflation then hopefully never again.

I'd rather slow steady consistent growth.

• Advertisement

now that tune is stuck in my head for the night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

This country is so obsessed with its economic growth, its either carefree partying or widespread depression. Would be so nice if we could have a bit of normality and calm the next time the boom/recession cycle comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

We're gonna melt down Katie Taylor's Gold Medal to fund another slew of properties, Good Times! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

cristoir wrote: »
    If by boom you mean growth fuelled by reckless personal borrowing, insane government expenditure and inflation then hopefully never again.

I'd rather slow steady consistent growth.
    Me too. Never happen though. Hard one to call this, last recession I went through lasted about 5 years, by that standard we should return to growth fairly soon. Ireland is a bit weird though as we have a strange bunch "leading" us. An overwhelming percentage of business people are not happy with the govt. response so far, which is fair enough as it's been crap. Not much action, lots of wind, lots of "Jobs initiative" re-launches. My own best guess is in about a year, the economy will change as our circumstances will change. In a way, a lot of chaff has been winnowed by the bust. The rest, the pragmatic survivors, are re-grouping - smarter, wiser and more cynical, the focus is shifting from froth to substance and new, real opportunities are emerging which will slowly lift the nation. So, my guess is, late 2013 will be the beginning of a new era and a new, more solid economy. There are a lot of hard decisions yet to be made, but these will be forced rather than chosen and that will ultimatly be a good thing.

Firstly, you have to differentiate the Celtic Tiger from the property bubble.

Then you have to look at our GDP and GNP growth from when (1) Joined the Euro (2) Joined the single monetary union.

What becomes clear, using hindsight, is the 'Celtic Tiger' was merely a catch up period of growth. There is a series of facinating articles titled "Chasing the Irish Hare" and "The paper tiger" which goes into more detail.

Then we have policies such as Social Partnership and SSIA's and everything contained in the Mahon Report. This is what is commonly referred to as the property bubble and is completely FF's unsustainable design.

When will we have a boom like that again? My guess is never... because I will never vote for a FF government again and I will ensure people never forget what they did to this country.

why, what did they do , , , :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

If there are no more booms, then government are doing a good job.

Unfortunately, government never do a good job.

End The Fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

K3lso wrote: »
    If there are no more booms, then government are doing a good job.

Unfortunately, government never do a good job.

End The Fed.
    End the what? Who is this Fed lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

:(My son has a job in Ireland at min, his Dad in USA is telling him to quit + find his fortune over there ... I'm sceptical... he's very lucky to have work here, and his job is worth its weight in gold ....! I don't know what to advise him .. defo don't want to see him go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Eden3 wrote: »
    :(My son has a job in Ireland at min, his Dad in USA is telling him to quit + find his fortune over there ... I'm sceptical... he's very lucky to have work here, and his job is worth its weight in gold ....! I don't know what to advise him .. defo don't want to see him go

Of course you don't, you're a mother.

But at the end of the day, that decision rests with him and him alone. If he thinks he can make a better go of it over there, then I wouldn't hold him back. It's up to him to weigh up the pro's and con's of living abroad and his future prospects; where will he be in 5 years etc etc.

You can always visit and let's be real here - the U.S is not that far away compared with Ozland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Soon I hope I've too many plans and ambitions that require vast sums of money for it not to be soon.... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement