Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will be the next boom?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

the_syco wrote: »
    2021. I can PM you the youtube video proving this if you want, but I'm banned from linking to it on After Hours, the Politics forum, and two other forums :mad:

Yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Pottler wrote: »
    End the what? Who is this Fed lad?

I guess it's a reference to the global central banking system, notably the Federal Reserve and ECB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

K3lso wrote: »
    Of course you don't, you're a mother.

But at the end of the day, that decision rests with him and him alone. If he thinks he can make a better go of it over there, then I wouldn't hold him back. It's up to him to weigh up the pro's and con's of living abroad and his future prospects; where will he be in 5 years etc etc.

You can always visit and let's be real here - the U.S is not that far away compared with Ozland.

I said to him exactly what you said to me ... ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

saiint wrote: »
    Its going to happen
    doesnt matter how bad things look now
    its been proven that Ireland (and the eu but **** them)

No. I'd rather not be misinformed by the Europhobic, flag-waving British yellow press and jingoistic types in shaping my views on the European Union. But thank you very much anyway.

Without the EU we'd still be Britain's rural backwater and food supplier being fucked over every day by the ability of a single country to dictate terms and conditions. At least now our dependency is spread across many countries. The EU has been great for Ireland, not least in opening the minds of all but the most anglocentric/ignorant to cultures and ways of doing things beyond England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The next big boom will be when Iran get the bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

When the Rothsfcukinchilds say so.

hehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Me too. Never happen though. Hard one to call this, last recession I went through lasted about 5 years, by that standard we should return to growth fairly soon. Ireland is a bit weird though as we have a strange bunch "leading" us. An overwhelming percentage of business people are not happy with the govt. response so far, which is fair enough as it's been crap. Not much action, lots of wind, lots of "Jobs initiative" re-launches. My own best guess is in about a year, the economy will change as our circumstances will change. In a way, a lot of chaff has been winnowed by the bust. The rest, the pragmatic survivors, are re-grouping - smarter, wiser and more cynical, the focus is shifting from froth to substance and new, real opportunities are emerging which will slowly lift the nation. So, my guess is, late 2013 will be the beginning of a new era and a new, more solid economy. There are a lot of hard decisions yet to be made, but these will be forced rather than chosen and that will ultimatly be a good thing.
    I would not be optimistic that there will be a return to growth in the near future.This recession is different to recessions of the past,doctors,solicitors,dentists,merchants,small contractors,plumbing,electrical,gardai,teachers,etc are up to their tonsils in debt.They own houses in irish resorts,foreign resorts like spain and portugal as well as buy to let houses in cities and towns in Ireland.Most of the categories here were immune to previous,indeed through previous recessions their spending power remained the same and they were able to buy new cars,keep paying golf subs ,keep the kids going to music lesssons and horseriding.These people are skint and while they have reasonable incomes,it will not service the debts they have.Their savings have been diluted or lost on bad share purchaces,their successfull businesses have been put in danger as these people have given personal guarantees to banks.They are shellshocked that this property collapse has come about and are now reluctant to spend at all.A shrinking workforce,a growing number of social welfare recipients (not their fault)means it will be a very long time before things go back to normal,indeed it is more likely that things will never go back to normal as long as a large percentage of our population are debt laden.One radical proposal would be to encourage one million people to come to ireland,debt free they might just kick start our economy.1million young people would just about be enough to bring about the climate needed for our recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

recently read Niall Fergusons "The Ascent of Money" which had lots of interesting ideas about the boom and busts. They've been happening for centuries and all linked to some sort of new technology or financial system.
    Recently it was the internet, short selling and credit default swaps.

Any new technologies emerging now that could fuel economic boom?? Loads...nanotechnology, quantum computers, CERN, we've just put curiosity on Mars and there's talk of cracking nuclear fusion in the next 20-30 years so the technologies there. Not sure about financial systems but i'm sure some bright spark is out there trying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

nua domhan wrote: »
    recently read Niall Fergusons "The Ascent of Money" which had lots of interesting ideas about the boom and busts. They've been happening for centuries and all linked to some sort of new technology or financial system.
    Recently it was the internet, short selling and credit default swaps.

Any new technologies emerging now that could fuel economic boom?? Loads...nanotechnology, quantum computers, CERN, we've just put curiosity on Mars and there's talk of cracking nuclear fusion in the next 20-30 years so the technologies there. Not sure about financial systems but i'm sure some bright spark is out there trying something.

A nice big war could do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

A nice big war could do the job.
    Hmm. If all the shipping containers full of dollars that were peed away in Iraq and Afghanistan had been spent in the real economy, there might be less of an issue today. War is expensive these days and dead sons are less acceptable than they were. I'd imagine a big war would just tip everything over the edge. Anyway, I firmly believe all the talk of money being scarce is bull. It did not vanish, it just moved. For every broke firm, there is an Apple, sitting on Billions, or a smaller Apple, sitting on millions. People and Corporations are being wary and cagey, but to believe everyone is "broke" is dumb. Some people and Companies are broke, others are far from it. Many are just waiting to see what bargains they can snap up when things hit their perceived level of "bottom".

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

Hmm. If all the shipping containers full of dollars that were peed away in Iraq and Afghanistan had been spent in the real economy, there might be less of an issue today. War is expensive these days and dead sons are less acceptable than they were. I'd imagine a big war would just tip everything over the edge.

erm, You do know War is the biggest drivers of Economy right? Think about all the jobs war's create. There's billions spent on technology, civil service and military. Not to mention the hundreds of firms brought in to rebuild the country (usually american firms, building infrastructure they bombed a few months back). The emerging countries usually borrow from the world bank to pay for the rebuilding or they sign over their resources like oil. (read diary of an economic hitman)

or did you think the Iraq and Afghanistan wars were to stop the big bad bullies of the middle east and make the world a nicer place???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There will actually be a mini boom in the next few years.

That was an advertisement on behalf of the Fine Gael and Labour party.
    Now back to our normal viewing...

:D

Advertisement