Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water in soothers?

Options
  • 13-08-2012 9:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭

My mother sometimes washes soothers in the sink or leave them sitting in boiling water the teat fills up with water (and suds if they are washed in the sink).

The water can easily be shaken out and cannot get into the childs mouth through the teat. Just wondering if this is common with soothers or if there is a reason or if its anything to be concerned about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Immediate reaction is to get new ones I would think. Mine only fill up when she has chewed a hole in them, i get rid before she gets a chunk of silicone of them. You have a wet warm environment there if they are filling up. Good for growing nasties.

Although it doesn't sound like you are sterilising still... When we stopped sterilising we stuck them in the dishwasher, or just run boiling water over the teat to sterilise. Soaking might fill them up alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

pwurple wrote: »
    Immediate reaction is to get new ones I would think.

The same thing happens with brand new ones and they are certainly not damaged or chewed at that stage. Granny always rinses with cold water to finish though so that would eliminate the 'wet warm environment'.

Has anyone else noticed it happening?
    Doesn't seem to be any damage and doesn't seem to cause any problems... but just wondering?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The same thing happens with brand new ones and they are certainly not damaged or chewed at that stage. Granny always rinses with cold water to finish though so that would eliminate the 'wet warm environment'.

Doesn't seem to be any damage and doesn't seem to cause any problems... but just wondering?
    It always happens.
    I squeeze it out then rinse and sterilise them .

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Moonbeam wrote: »

It always happens.
    I squeeze it out then rinse and sterilise them .

always happens here too. i just wash in warm water and give a quick scrub. pain in the bum getting the suds out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Always happens to me too...as I'm rinsing them under the tap I squeeze the teat, forcing the water out, without letting new water in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Always happens to me too...as I'm rinsing them under the tap I squeeze the teat, forcing the water out, without letting new water in

Me too! Well did when we used them! :)
    I sterilised them tho so wasn't worried - sonetimes water from the steriliser would go in even if I had squeezed them after the wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

Thanks everyone, my mind is at ease :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

We sell soothers and this is a snippet from an explanation provided by a soother (pacifier) manufacturer:

"Sometimes water may enter the inside of the nipple, this is because of a ventilation systems that exists in the nipple and helps make the pacifier orthodontically correct. When the baby closes down on the nipple, the air from inside the nipple is pushed out through the ventilation system thereby flattening the nipple and adapting to the baby´s individual oral cavity. So, the ventilation hole is needed in order to allow for proper development of your baby's jaw and mouth".

Liable to happen if left sitting in water for a while, but easy to shake out again. Just make sure to rince any detergent/suds .

Advertisement