Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neo Geo X any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wanted to buy one.

Then saw Blaze has something to do with it.

Want diminished rapidly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wanted to buy one.

Then saw Blaze has something to do with it.

Want diminished rapidly!

Exactly. I wouldn't want to head in to AES collecting, gets expensive and quick. Which is kind of hypocritical of me as I'm looking at buying an FM Towns Marty... :o

If it's got Blaze build quality, it's an instant no. I'm on the fence with it, at $200 I dismissed it, read the article then saw the docking station and stick and perked up a bit. Even though I already have an AES stick and an MVS system in my collection... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭giggsy07

No experience with blaze guys but see they made similar attempts with the genesis port.Are they a disaster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Exactly. I wouldn't want to head in to AES collecting, gets expensive and quick. Which is kind of hypocritical of me as I'm looking at buying an FM Towns Marty... :o

If it's got Blaze build quality, it's an instant no. I'm on the fence with it, at $200 I dismissed it, read the article then saw the docking station and stick and perked up a bit. Even though I already have an AES stick and an MVS system in my collection... :confused:

I thought you were against the Marty's? When I got my FM Towns you were asking if I went for the marty or the full deal as the marty is a bit rubbish.

The marty is pretty cheap anyway in Japan, are the games pricey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Blaze are manufacturing the device alright, maybe they've update their game a bit with this one ? Who wants to volunteer to buy one and report back :)

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    I thought you were against the Marty's?

The Marty is inferior to the standard Towns. The main reason is because the Marty and it's subsequent revision lacked the RAM and CPU that later Towns games demanded and ended up being incompatible. Plus the floppy drives are a bit on the unreliable side and a lot of the drive bands turn to mush so you need a replacement.

So yep, it's inferior compared to the Towns, but then in terms of shipping, the Marty makes more sense. It's just an idea I'm toying with anyway, it's 'that time of year' so I'm looking for a fun purchase... :)

And yep, the games are ridiculously expensive, any and all Towns stuff is unfortunately. Viewpoint and Tatsujin Oh were the best part of €200+ each unboxed and that was in Japan a few weeks ago.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    The Marty is inferior to the standard Towns. The main reason is because the Marty and it's subsequent revision lacked the RAM and CPU that later Towns games demanded and ended up being incompatible. Plus the floppy drives are a bit on the unreliable side and a lot of the drive bands turn to mush so you need a replacement.

So yep, it's inferior compared to the Towns, but then in terms of shipping, the Marty makes more sense. It's just an idea I'm toying with anyway, it's 'that time of year' so I'm looking for a fun purchase... :)

And yep, the games are ridiculously expensive, any and all Towns stuff is unfortunately. Viewpoint and Tatsujin Oh were the best part of €200+ each unboxed and that was in Japan a few weeks ago.

If you can find an FM Towns in Japan and shipping is a problem let me know and I might be able to help if I'm sending stuff from Japan to Ireland at that time.
    I usually send stuff back ever couple of months and big stuff every 3 months or so. I'll be over again myself in 2 weeks if you want me to keep an eye out while there.

Expensive but admirable hobby guys..:)

giggsy07 wrote: »
    Expensive but admirable hobby guys..:)

Wrong thread, you need to be looking at Casey120's PCB collection! :pac:

Attractive but frightening:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd be interested if they start rereleasing old Neo Geo titles at a decent price, extra sticks are put on sale, the build quality is good and the emulation is perfect.

I'd be interested if they start rereleasing old Neo Geo titles at a decent price, extra sticks are put on sale, the build quality is good and the emulation is perfect.
    My taughts exactly but just wondering are the games going to be identical to the original iv read their genesis attempts some games suffered.also would original carts be compatible..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

giggsy07 wrote: »
    My taughts exactly but just wondering are the games going to be identical to the original iv read their genesis attempts some games suffered.also would original carts be compatible..

I thought at first original carts would work, but it appears the console is just cosmetic and it's just a docking station for the handheld. So if the emulation is not perfect, there's no point buying one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lets face it.
    Unless this thing is a perfect emulation of the Neogeo AES then it is going to stink.
    If you invest in this the joystick had better feel exactly like the AES stick.
    No compromises at all.
    For $200 it is close to the price of an MVS mobo, ATX psu, arcade controller and a Supergun, not to mention a multicart of your favourite games.
    You can't get too precious about emulation or unofficial hardware when the Neogeo X is as far from original hardware as you can get.

Blaze have a terrible record for hardware and emulation.
    At this stage it is more likely that the actual handheld device is going to be a big let down, especially when you consider how much of the price is/should be going into the docking station and AES controller.

We'll wait and see but nothing about this project holds any promise, especially when, looking at the handheld alone, we can see everything it can do being done on a PSP, for free.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Lets face it.
    Unless this thing is a perfect emulation of the Neogeo AES then it is going to stink.
    If you invest in this the joystick had better feel exactly like the AES stick.
    No compromises at all.
    For $200 it is close to the price of an MVS mobo, ATX psu, arcade controller and a Supergun, not to mention a multicart of your favourite games.
    You can't get too precious about emulation or unofficial hardware when the Neogeo X is as far from original hardware as you can get.

Blaze have a terrible record for hardware and emulation.
    At this stage it is more likely that the actual handheld device is going to be a big let down, especially when you consider how much of the price is/should be going into the docking station and AES controller.

We'll wait and see but nothing about this project holds any promise, especially when, looking at the handheld alone, we can see everything it can do being done on a PSP, for free.
    Well put cider.might go the supergun route myself it looks the most cost effective..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

personally, I wouldn't go near the Neo Geo X. Makes more sense to get a Caanoo. It's a handheld emulator. got one off ebay for around €90 - €100 I think. even came with a 4gb memory card. emulates neo geo aes and neo geo cd perfectly on it.

personally, I wouldn't go near the Neo Geo X. Makes more sense to get a Caanoo. It's a handheld emulator. got one off ebay for around €90 - €100 I think. even came with a 4gb memory card. emulates neo geo aes and neo geo cd perfectly on it.
    As does my sons psp with some special firmware:)it was the docking station that was attracting me before I learned it won't play old carts:(I'm going supergun route now:)

Advertisement