Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeds with eircom

Options
  • 13-08-2012 9:54pm
    Site Banned Posts: 45

Hi, I'm just wondering what speeds my line can handle? My contract is up with eircom in September and I'm contemplating upgrading to 24mb (currently 8mb). Is there a way to find out if my line is compatible with 24mb broadband?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Alan_Curry wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering what speeds my line can handle? My contract is up with eircom in September and I'm contemplating upgrading to 24mb (currently 8mb). Is there a way to find out if my line is compatible with 24mb broadband?

Hi,

I can check the line speed for you. If you PM me the account or phone number I'll run a few tests and let you know what the best available package is.

James

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Alan_Curry

Sent you the private message.

Can you fix another problem? My zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 keeps dropping out, especially when I use utorrent. How can I fix this or does eircom supply a more suitable router?

Sent you the private message.

Can you fix another problem? My zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 keeps dropping out, especially when I use utorrent. How can I fix this or does eircom supply a more suitable router?

Hi Alan_Curry,

Thanks for PM. Have tested the line for you and the max speed available for you is 12mb. This means you can move from the 'up to 8mb' to 'up to 24mb' but the line likely won't get more than 12mb (most likely a bit less as 12mb is the absolute maximum). I also tested the 2 houses directly next to yours and all are pre-qualifying for max 12mb.

With regards the modem, from the line stats there's no reason why this connection should be dropping. One thing I did notice when testing the line is that modem is still working on the old firmware. Upgrading this may help to stabilise the connection for you. If you call technical support (1890 260 260) they will be able to help do this for you. Also, although the DSL (broadband) signal looks fine, there is a minor fault being indicated on the line. Tech support can also help you troubleshoot this and send an engineer if required. It would help shorten the call if you can do the troubleshooting yourself before calling. Link to the steps involved here.

Regards

James

Hi Alan_Curry,

Thanks for PM. Have tested the line for you and the max speed available for you is 12mb. This means you can move from the 'up to 8mb' to 'up to 24mb' but the line likely won't get more than 12mb (most likely a bit less as 12mb is the absolute maximum). I also tested the 2 houses directly next to yours and all are pre-qualifying for max 12mb.

Okay, can you tell what is the exact date my contract is up? When would be the best time to contact eircom about the upgrade to 12mb and should I ring them when doing so or can it be done online?

With regards the modem, from the line stats there's no reason why this connection should be dropping. One thing I did notice when testing the line is that modem is still working on the old firmware. Upgrading this may help to stabilise the connection for you. If you call technical support (1890 260 260) they will be able to help do this for you. Also, although the DSL (broadband) signal looks fine, there is a minor fault being indicated on the line. Tech support can also help you troubleshoot this and send an engineer if required. It would help shorten the call if you can do the troubleshooting yourself before calling. Link to the steps involved here.

What problems does that "minor fault" pose, do you know?

I changed my security type to WEP after reading other posts about this issue and it doesn't drop-out anywhere near as often as it did on WPA-PSK2. Most of the time, it dropped-out when I started downloading but there's also a mandatory default drop-out in the router's configuration page when set to WPA-PSK2 and WPA-PSK which is a nuisance, but the fact that it still drops out on WEP indicates there is some fault there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Okay, can you tell what is the exact date my contract is up? When would be the best time to contact eircom about the upgrade to 12mb and should I ring them when doing so or can it be done online?

What problems does that "minor fault" pose, do you know?

I changed my security type to WEP after reading other posts about this issue and it doesn't drop-out anywhere near as often as it did on WPA-PSK2. Most of the time, it dropped-out when I started downloading but there's also a mandatory default drop-out in the router's configuration page when set to WPA-PSK2 and WPA-PSK which is a nuisance, but the fact that it still drops out on WEP indicates there is some fault there.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your post. Your contract term ends on the 5th April 2013. You can upgrade your broadband either online - eircom broadband bundles or directly by contacting Sales :

Broadband Sales - 1800 503 303 freefone

As James has advised, it might benefit you to upgrade your modem's firmware. To do this, just call into Broadband Support and they should be able to do this remotely.

A minor fault on your phoneline shouldn't affect you Wireless. Some computer devices may work better on different wireless encryption types. For example, a wireless printer may work better over a less secure wireless encryption than a more complex wireless security, like WPA-PSK. A SmartPhone or iPhone, may work best without any wireless encryption. It often depends on the manufacturer and the inbuilt wireless (adaptor) hardware on the specific computer device(s). Take a look at the link below, which may help improve your local wireless setup overall or help with a weak or low wireless signal frequency.

It is often best to rule out any issue with your actual broadband connection first, before you worry too much about wireless. To do this try to connect only one computer by Ethernet (yellow) cable as indicated on our broadband check below :

http://bit.ly/BBChecks

Once you have established your basic broadband connection is sound, then you can check your wireless.

http://bit.ly/BBWireless

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Please retain your case id (reference) from Technical Support, as this will help if you need to follow this up.

Let me know if you need further advice.

Best Wishes,

Ant

• Advertisement

Hi again, I rang Eircom a few months ago about my router's drop-outs and they said they would "lower my eircom profile for a week" to see if that makes a difference. My understand is that means they lower the speed. Usually my speed maxes out at 850kb/s but but every time I download something since I rang it I usually get about around 750 kb/s. Seeing as the drop-out are still happening, can you make sure I'm getting the maximum speeds from my package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi again, I rang Eircom a few months ago about my router's drop-outs and they said they would "lower my eircom profile for a week" to see if that makes a difference. My understand is that means they lower the speed. Usually my speed maxes out at 850kb/s but but every time I download something since I rang it I usually get about around 750 kb/s. Seeing as the drop-out are still happening, can you make sure I'm getting the maximum speeds from my package?

Hi Alan,

I have sent an escalation to managers in broadband technical support. I should have. A response early next week.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Alun,

Just to confirm the issue was re-escalated to an engineer REF: 11440580 he was out at the exchange today.

He is still investigating so I will check it tomorrow with any further updates.

Mark

Okay. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭markf1982

hi

is it possible to check what sort of speeds (max) i may get if i reconnect an old phone line at my address. I have pm the address to both of you. would like to have something steady and reliable and mobile broadband is not that!

thanks

• Advertisement

markf1982 wrote: »
    hi

is it possible to check what sort of speeds (max) i may get if i reconnect an old phone line at my address. I have pm the address to both of you. would like to have something steady and reliable and mobile broadband is not that!

thanks

Hi markf1982,

Mark sent me the details to check this for you. What I have done is tested every line listed under the area you gave. There are 11 lines in total there (8 active accounts). The area seems to be right on the edge of the broadband range. Some addresses are listed as 1mb Amber (works on a traffic light system) and others fail to qualify for broadband. To be honest, I can't say with certainty that getting landline broadband will be an improvement over the current setup. If you decided to activate a landline it would have a 12 month contract attached so maybe speak to sales directly on freephone 1800 503 303 to run through your options.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭markf1982

thanks for the reply James, will have to look into it some more

Any news? I'm seriously getting ****ing annoyed at these constant timeouts. Download speed is reaching its maximum either.

Any news? I'm seriously getting ****ing annoyed at these constant timeouts. Download speed is reaching its maximum either.

Hi Alan_Curry,

The fault was cleared on the 06/09/2012. Apologies I monitored the connection and it was testing fine,

I have already sent an escalation to managers in support to check the engineers report and they will get back to me soon.

Mark

Hi Alan,

I got a response from managers in broadband technical support as follows:

"We called them on the 4th September and they confirmed it was working ok.

We received another call from them today 21/09/12 at 14:30 about the intermittent disconnects, they were asked to test it on the main phone socket and call us back if it keeps dropping"

Have you managed to call support back as yet?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Alan,

I got a response from managers in broadband technical support as follows:

"We called them on the 4th September and they confirmed it was working ok.

We received another call from them today 21/09/12 at 14:30 about the intermittent disconnects, they were asked to test it on the main phone socket and call us back if it keeps dropping"

Have you managed to call support back as yet?

Thanks, Mark

Yeah I called them on Friday and he told me to put my router beside the phone socket in the hall, previously I had it upstairs. It still drops out.

I told support that I tried a different router and I was still having the same problem.

I have it set the WEP to get rid of the authorization timer but every half-hour or so it will cut out. I don't have to reset the router anywhere near as much since I set it to WEP but it will still cut out, especially during peak hours like 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm .

How come I'm getting download speeds of 750kb/s when I used to get 850kb/s? Do they have my speeds limited on my profile?

Yeah I called them on Friday and he told me to put my router beside the phone socket in the hall, previously I had it upstairs. It still drops out.

I told support that I tried a different router and I was still having the same problem.

I have it set the WEP to get rid of the authorization timer but every half-hour or so it will cut out. I don't have to reset the router anywhere near as much since I set it to WEP but it will still cut out, especially during peak hours like 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm .

How come I'm getting download speeds of 750kb/s when I used to get 850kb/s? Do they have my speeds limited on my profile?

Hi Alan,

Sorry, just to confirm you called them back after you connected the modem to the main socket and you also tried another modem in that main socket and there was minimal difference?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Alan,

Sorry, just to confirm you called them back after you connected the modem to the main socket and you also tried another modem in that main socket and there was minimal difference?

Thanks, Mark

No, I never called them back, the man was Pakistani (I think) so there was a language barrier in the conversation. Yes, there was a minimal difference, I don't have the reset the modem as often, the browser will stop loading but after a minute, it will start surfing again.

I going to buy a long DSL lead today and see if a direct connection from the router downstairs to the computer upstairs will improve the dropouts.

No, I never called them back, the man was Pakistani (I think) so there was a language barrier in the conversation. Yes, there was a minimal difference, I don't have the reset the modem as often, the browser will stop loading but after a minute, it will start surfing again.

I going to buy a long DSL lead today and see if a direct connection from the router downstairs to the computer upstairs will improve the dropouts.

Hi Alan,

Ok, let me know how it goes. However 6ft is the advisable length of cable. The longer the cable will decrease the speed I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Alan,

Ok, let me know how it goes. However 6ft is the advisable length of cable. The longer the cable will decrease the speed I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

Right, I bought the cable and it was a substantial improvement. I only have to reset the router in the mornings, which I can live with, but it never really times out when I'm using it during the day. I had to by a 10 meter cable because the phone socket is beside the front door and my P.C. is upstairs. The router is located beside the front door and the cable from the landline to the router is only about 3 feet long but, as I said, the cable from the router to the computer is 10 meters long.

Here are my speeds at 1:18 p.m. today:

2213779458.png

I will do and post another Speedtest tonight time when there is no high contention to see what my best speeds are...

• Advertisement

Right, I bought the cable and it was a substantial improvement. I only have to reset the router in the mornings, which I can live with, but it never really times out when I'm using it during the day. I had to by a 10 meter cable because the phone socket is beside the front door and my P.C. is upstairs. The router is located beside the front door and the cable from the landline to the router is only about 3 feet long but, as I said, the cable from the router to the computer is 10 meters long.

Here are my speeds at 1:18 p.m. today:

2213779458.png

I will do and post another Speedtest tonight time when there is no high contention to see what my best speeds are...

Hi Alan_Curry,

Thanks for getting back to us and keeping us posted. I will monitor the speed / connection from our end to see if there is any fluctuation.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Alan_Curry,

Thanks for getting back to us and keeping us posted. I will monitor the speed / connection from our end to see if there is any fluctuation.

Thanks, Mark

What should be the maximum speeds on my line? I remember when I first joined Eircom last September, my downloads on uTorrent were maxed out at 850kb/s. What does that translate to in Mb/s in the Speedtest format?

Here's a Speedtest done on my wireless:

2213842714.png

The signal is about 4 bars so it's 'excellent', as it says on my computer.

Here's a Speedtest done on my wireless:

2213842714.png

The signal is about 4 bars so it's 'excellent', as it says on my computer.

Hi Alan,

The speed to the main socket is showing:

Downstream
    Synced at: 7168kbps Provisioned: 160-7168kbps

I spoke to broadband support and they advised that given the set up, it is the best profile / speed to insure a stable connection.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Alan,

The speed to the main socket is showing:

Downstream
    Synced at: 7168kbps Provisioned: 160-7168kbps

I spoke to broadband support and they advised that given the set up, it is the best profile / speed to insure a stable connection.

Thanks, Mark

Can I try it the maximum now that I'm using a DSL cable? Might be more stable since I'm using that. I miss having speeds of 850 Kb/s.

A new problem arose: my wireless will not connect. That "wireless speedtest" I done was actually done on my DSL connection, I forgot to disconnect, and when I tried to surf wirelessly, it won't load any pages. I rang Eircom last week after I messed up my router trying to port-forward it and we fixed the problem by reseting with little pinhole reset button at the back of the router.

Here is a screenshot of my configuration page:

Anything wrong here?

(deleted; picture too large. See new picture below)

Here's a smaller one:

2eoelon.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Take off auto scan channel and pick a channel. I'm pretty sure thats what is causing it to disconnect and reconnect. Also speeds of 750 kb/s to 850 kb/s is normal for 8mb broadband. If more people sign up in area your broadband might be limited to 750kb/s due to congestion because DSL is outdated and the exchange needs to be updated. Ireland probably has the worst broadband in the world because the government are too stingy to cough up and help companies like Eircom.

Here's a smaller one:

2eoelon.png

Hi Alan,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Can you try the following Improve Wifi - http://bit.ly/PlpCli

Let me know if there is any improvement?

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Right, well I fixed my wireless issue by setting up a new connection on my P.C. and here's a Speedtest result I done at 18:30:

2214443441.png

Advertisement