Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeds with eircom

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Alan_Curry

Hi Alan,

The speed to the main socket is showing:

Downstream
    Synced at: 7168kbps Provisioned: 160-7168kbps

I spoke to broadband support and they advised that given the set up, it is the best profile / speed to insure a stable connection.

Thanks, Mark

Mark, you say here that the speed on my profile is deliberately lowered to make sure my connection won't suffer from drop-outs. I remember talking to them about this and it didn't make a difference, my connection still dropped out. Now that I've fixed the drop-outs using a DSL cable and placing my router near the landline socket, I don't see the need for my speed to be lowered anymore.

Can you have it adjusted back to normal so I can get maximum speeds, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Alan_Curry wrote: »
    Mark, you say here that the speed on my profile is deliberately lowered to make sure my connection won't suffer from drop-outs. I remember talking to them about this and it didn't make a difference, my connection still dropped out. Now that I've fixed the drop-outs using a DSL cable and placing my router near the landline socket, I don't see the need for my speed to be lowered anymore.

Can you have it adjusted back to normal so I can get maximum speeds, please?

Hi Alan_Curry

If I adjust your profile up to the maximum more than likely it could make your connection unstable. I have done a few checks today and I have noticed another possible issue. The modem is running the previous firmware version which can be upgrade to the latest version as this may stabilise the connection. The quickest way to do that is to call technical support on 1890 260 260 (8am - 10pm, 7 days) as they can log in remotely and upgrade it for you. While your speaking to technical support you can also ask them to try and adjust the profile.

Regards
    Linda

Hi Alan_Curry

If I adjust your profile up to the maximum more than likely it could make your connection unstable. I have done a few checks today and I have noticed another possible issue. The modem is running the previous firmware version which can be upgrade to the latest version as this may stabilise the connection. The quickest way to do that is to call technical support on 1890 260 260 (8am - 10pm, 7 days) as they can log in remotely and upgrade it for you. While your speaking to technical support you can also ask them to try and adjust the profile.

Regards
    Linda

Right, I rang them and asked them to increase the speed but I accidentally hung up on the guy before we tackled the firmware issue. The speed is a normal again.

Here are my speeds now:

2218050307.png

I rang again and discussed the firmware issue but he said it was up to date! What going on with the firmware then? Can you confirm if it is up to date or what?

Here's a Speedtest result from the Eircom website:

Speed results

Test date
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:14:50 AM
    Download Speed
    7.8 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    7802 kbps
    Upload Speed
    0.43 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    428 kbps
    Latency
    84 ms

Just rang broadband sales and asked them to upgrade me to 12Mb now that I'm satisfied my line is stable and my profile set at maximum speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Just rang broadband sales and asked them to upgrade me to 12Mb now that I'm satisfied my line is stable and my profile set at maximum speeds.

Hi Alan,

I see the order was issued today -

REF: 3560396CH

We can follow up with you at the end of the week and monitor the speeds after the upgrade from our end.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Alan,

I see the order was issued today -

REF: 3560396CH

We can follow up with you at the end of the week and monitor the speeds after the upgrade from our end.

Thanks, Mark

Yeah, it should be upgrade by tomorrow midday. Looking forward to getting speeds of over 10 Mb for once in my home.

I've been hearing rumours that Eircom are upgrading to fiber broadband in 2013. Do you know when they are upgrading Ashbourne's lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Yeah, it should be upgrade by tomorrow midday. Looking forward to getting speeds of over 10 Mb for once in my home.

I've been hearing rumours that Eircom are upgrading to fiber broadband in 2013. Do you know when they are upgrading Ashbourne's lines?

I will track the upgrade order from our end and monitor the speeds as well.

We are unlikely to have any definitive information regarding when fibre orders will be taken as part of phase 1 & 2 of the roll-out until 2013.

Thanks, Mark

They upgraded early this morning. Here are my speeds:

2221347222.png

Speed results

Test date
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:00:50 PM
    Download Speed
    10.35 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    10352 kbps
    Upload Speed
    0.56 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    558 kbps
    Latency
    76 ms

I happy with that. I haven't experienced any drop-outs today since upgrading and it's been a good few days since I've had any. It looks like placing the router beside the phone socket in the hallway stopped them completely and fingers crossed that they're gone forever.

Advertisement