Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New company vs change existing company

Options
  • 13-08-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi all,
    a friend and I are in the process of setting up a limited company.
    I have a previous company, which never traded, from an old project in the same space. I've been meaning to unregister this company for the last year or so but the hassle of the newspaper notice etc has caused me to keep putting it off.
    I was thinking I could change the shareholding and the name of the untraded company rather than unregister it and register a completely new company.

Does this make sense?
    Are there any potential issues with what I'm thinking of?

I've filed accounts each year for the existing company so there aren't any outstanding fines etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

It does make sense! The clean untraded company is really no different to the off the shelf one's you can buy! It will also save you a few bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

...... I've been meaning to unregister this company for the last year or so but the hassle of the newspaper notice etc has caused me to keep putting it off.
    I was thinking I could change the shareholding and the name of the untraded company rather than unregister it and register a completely new company.

Does this make sense?
    Are there any potential issues with what I'm thinking of?

I've filed accounts each year for the existing company so there aren't any outstanding fines etc.

and the hassle of changing the memo and arts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You will have to amend the memorandum and articles if you wish to change the company's name. You probably should also amend the objects clause while you are at it. You will also have to resign the current directors and appoint a new ones as well as change the shareholders. You will probably save money if you know what to do.

Personally I would always insist on a new company unless I knew the previous directors and shareholders very well and knew what the company was originally used for . Get the old directors to indemnify or hold harmless any unidentified costs that the company has incurred while they were acting as directors.

Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    I'd totally omitted to factor in the changes to memo and arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    I'd totally omitted to factor in the changes to memo and arts.

Not much difference as you would have to do them for a new co too!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement