Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father doesn't accept gay son

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its forbidden to say it but homosexuality is not natural no more than if I wanted a civil partnership with a sheep or goat.
    1) Why is it not "natural" for two people to love each other, or even to be sexually attracted to each other?

2) How is that in any way similar to desiring a legal relationship with another species, and one which doesn't have the intellectual wherewithal to consent to any kind of a contract, let alone one with all this particular type of contract implies?
    everyone is so tolerant towards gays these days. where were all these tolerant folks when gays were criminals?
    Probably not born, for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    No you don't, you seem to be a bit naive

I'm not naive at all, I do believe that if you choose to have a child you are promising to accept them for who they are, regardless of who they turn out to be. Is that not part of being a parent or am I totally missing the point here?

i know that I, and many others would find it very difficult to feel the same way about my child if they turned out to be a murderer.
    Obviously Im not comparing the two in any way whatsoever, Im just showing how every parent has their limits to this 'unconditional love'. Unfortunately some parents class being gay as one of those limits. But you also hear of girls being disowned for teenage pregnancies or drug use etc. Its not right but it happens. For most parents it would take a lot to stop loving and accepting your child but I don't think its ever unconditional for any parent tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

its a big move to come out and declare ones gayness openly.
    it is a bitter disappointment for most parents-no grandchildren.

its forbidden to say it but homosexuality is not natural no more than if I wanted a civil partnership with a sheep or goat.
    If it's not natural is it supernatural?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I think he will regret making the video if the father starts getting crap back about it. He said that he told him on Christmas 2010 but doesn't mention much about the relationship since then. If it's a matter of his dad just not talking about it he has to realise that some old men are just not able to deal with a conversation like that. If his dad had cut off contact with him after it I would say it's a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

no more than if I wanted a civil partnership with a sheep or goat.

The mad thing is; there is a man who has married a goat. Although he was kinda forced to into marriage when he was caught having sex with said goat. Unfortunately the goat has since passed away following an incident with a plastic bag.

I sometimes think how it must piss off gay couples who wish to marry, but are not legally allowed to, when they hear of people marrying a building, a video game character, a rollercoaster, a pillow, even the Berlin wall. A man and a man cannot marry, a woman and a woman cannot marry, but a woman can marry the Eiffel Tower and a man can marry a pillow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Originally Posted by Fuinseog

What is not natural about it, its consenting, its sought and lusted. I assume you are straight, with a touch of beastuality which is not consenting:D

So when you have sex do you only do it for natural reasons, do like fellatio giving cunnilingus, even kissing, tell me what is a natural sexual relationship.

I know when I have sex it certainly isn't to have a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Hang on, I actually watched this video and I can't see the big deal with it. Tbh, this guy is taking shots at his dad for no reason and it's unnecessary. This is not exactly a negative reaction at all, in fact his dad will get there with time. I was thinking his Dad had called him all sorts and thrown him out. As he said, his Dad is old fashioned but he'll get there in due time once he comes to terms with it.

This guy didn't have anything bad, this guy did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

its a big move to come out and declare ones gayness openly.
    it is a bitter disappointment for most parents-no grandchildren.

Why do I get the feeling that you want to fuck a goat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Four pages in and nobody has blamed the church yet? Atheists, you disappoint me! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Four pages in and nobody has blamed the church yet? Atheists, you disappoint me! :mad:

Its not really relevant anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's the Greeks we're after :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He should have some respect for his father and not broadcast a private family matter for all to see on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ok, I've watched the whole video, what exactly did the father do wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

He should have some respect for his father and not broadcast a private family matter for all to see on the internet.

Respect should be earned

I more or less agree with you. I would understand if he got a very negative reaction and got disowned by his family that he might want to raise the issue but to me, this was unwarranted in his case.

No matter how bad a reaction I would get I wouldn't go taking petty shots at my family, I'd stay civil and maybe raise the issue and keep everyone's dignity more or less intact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've so much sympathy for the father. My son recently announced he supports Man Utd.

Destroyed I am I tell ya!

Respect should be earned

You only get one set of parents, most do their best for their kids and deserve respect, thats my view maybe you don't respect yours but I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

paddyandy wrote: »
    I hope being Gay is'nt made compulsory as i would'nt like it at all ...jeeeeeez .

Gay = merry, cheerful, jolly, joyful, blithe, mirthful.

No... wouldn't suit you paddyandy.

You only get one set of parents, most do their best for their kids and deserve respect, thats my view maybe you don't respect yours but I did.

Hang on a minute where are you getting the idea that I don't respect mine? Fair enough if you were a good little boy who respected his parents but this guy isn't under any obligation to. His father sounds like a right horrible piece of work, you can't me that he's doing his best for his son?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mikom wrote: »
    Gay = merry, cheerful, jolly, joyful, blithe, mirthful.

No... wouldn't suit you paddyandy.

Getting it up the arse doesn't : merry, cheerful or jolly make many people me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Why wouldn't a father accept a happy son? Sure we are all gay at some stage loike.

Hang on a minute where are you getting the idea that I don't respect mine? Fair enough if you were a good little boy who respected his parents but this guy isn't under any obligation to. His father sounds like a right horrible piece of work, you can't me that he's doing his best for his son?

My parents were good people so I had no problem respecting them so less of your sarcasm.

Respect should be earned

Yeah I like to spit on people the first time I meet them and see if they can do something to impress me so it doesn't happen next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Four pages in

I pity the fool who puts 10 posts per page

Change it to 40, far easier :cool:

My parents were good people so I had no problem respecting them so less of your sarcasm.

And you think a father refusing to accept his gay son is a nice person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

The old guy is probably just old-fashioned and is having difficulty understanding why / what is happening. So let's all get together and give him crap on the internet!

FFS. I have problems. You have problems. We all have problems. Some of us choose not to sit in front of a web-cam and whine about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I pity the fool who puts 10 posts per page

Change it to 40, far easier :cool:

How do you do it, HOW???

The old guy is probably just old-fashioned and is having difficulty understanding why / what is happening. So let's all get together and give him crap on the internet!

FFS. I have problems. You have problems. We all have problems. Some of us choose not to sit in front of a web-cam and whine about it.

A twat is a twat, no matter what age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Getting it up the arse doesn't : merry, cheerful or jolly make many people me thinks

may I introduce you to the prostate...

You're not getting the point I'm making, I'm saying putting something like this up on the internet isn't a good idea IMO instead of trying to work it out as a family in the privacy of their own home.
    I never said I agreed with the fathers view.

• Advertisement

You're not getting the point I'm making, I'm saying putting something like this up on the internet isn't a good idea IMO instead of trying to work it out as a family in the privacy of their own home.
    I never said I agreed with the fathers view.

But sure maybe the father refuses to discuss the issue, would make sense seeing as how he refuses to accept his own flesh and blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Respect should be earned
    Family disputes should not be brought into the public domain though. As far as respect is concerned a parent should have it regardless of beliefs due to the sacrifices they made to raise their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

efb wrote: »
    may I introduce you to the prostate...
    No! :p

No attempts to convert us!! :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If he wanted to have a rant about coming out to him then anything besides a public video would have been the better approach.

Hell, even a thread on the LGBT about the scenario would have been more constructive than this.

A private matter being brought out into the public won't make his relationship or situation with his father any better. He may be old-fashioned but he hasn't disowned him, he just doesn't want to admit to himself that his son is gay. Something which, over whatever amount of time, he may eventually come to terms with.

People calling his father names and treating him like some sort of white-vest wearing hillbilly is hardly beneficial or constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

No point trying to put the genie back in the bottle. The Internet is an extension of some people's lives: if it happens it's broadcast or tweeted or tumblred or blogged or boarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

1ZRed wrote: »
    Hang on, I actually watched this video and I can't see the big deal with it. Tbh, this guy is taking shots at his dad for no reason and it's unnecessary. This is not exactly a negative reaction at all, in fact his dad will get there with time. I was thinking his Dad had called him all sorts and thrown him out. As he said, his Dad is old fashioned but he'll get there in due time once he comes to terms with it.

This guy didn't have anything bad, this guy did.
    But sure maybe the father refuses to discuss the issue, would make sense seeing as how he refuses to accept his own flesh and blood.

As alluded to in earlier posts, even as a modern society as we now live in, you cant expect every man/father to be like a psychologist and just to be able to talk the issue through on the spot. Most likely he did not know how to react/handle the situation there and then so i think the guy should just give the man space to let him deal with what must be a shock to him, instead of throwing his toys out all over the internet. My father is a nice man but if I told him the same thing(Im not btw) I would get a similiar reaction I would imagine initially. Young kids today must have fierce expectations from their parents.

Well I don't think things will improve when he sees that his son was having a go at him on the net.

Well I don't think things will improve when he sees that his son was having a go at him on the net.

They do like being dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Havnt watched the video, But I kinda do think being gay is wrong.

No offence to anyone but, there's 2 types of people men and women.

I do honestly think its weird that same sex go together, its like naturally penis goes into vagina that's the way its done. But 2 peniseseses together or 2 vags together just seems wrong.

I know there's more to it than the sexual side but still.

I'm kinda old school believe. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Wumbuster a few young people live in the age of "I want it now" with regards to responses. This fiasco is not fair on the dad at all and so what his son didn't get the reaction he wanted but that's life, you don't always get what you want. Going on any internet site to air your grievances with anyone is bad but to do that to your own dad is appalling. I sincerely hope the next generation isn't so attention seeking.

I do honestly think its weird that same sex go together, its like naturally penis goes into vagina that's the way its done. But 2 peniseseses together or 2 vags together just seems wrong.

Why do you give a ****?

Did the lad expect a positive reaction?

WumBuster wrote: »
    As alluded to in earlier posts, even as a modern society as we now live in, you cant expect every man/father to be like a psychologist and just to be able to talk the issue through on the spot. Most likely he did not know how to react/handle the situation there and then so i think the guy should just give the man space to let him deal with what must be a shock to him, instead of throwing his toys out all over the internet. My father is a nice man but if I told him the same thing(Im not btw) I would get a similiar reaction I would imagine initially. Young kids today must have fierce expectations from their parents.

I agree with that. He said though that this happened two years ago and it has never been mentioned since so I understand that he might be really frustrated. Now I wouldn't say he's whining at all. In fact it's a video aimed exclusively at gay people for the majority of it not the "public" really -only towards the end he gets into that.

Alright that said, I think he could have raised his issue without throwing down on his father and being quite disrespectful. If you're going to do something like this and raise some awareness, you have to do it right. Throwing petty digs has no place in an argument of you want your views to be taken seriously.

Now if the guy did all he could to get his Dad to come to terms and accept it, then I think he was entitled to his video because it was about coming out and this highlights that's not always as smooth and as easy as people (the video is exclusively aimed at gay people) might think. That's something honest and good to have when young gay people watch it and take it into consideration, so I don't think he should be called a whiner for it. If he cut out the digs at his father and he respected his father's dignity but remained honest about his situation, I think that would have been best.

Either way he's just telling his story and trying to help guys like him out, I don't think that's a bad thing. I think his intensions were right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Why the fook would someone make a video like this and post it on YouTube? I mean, discussing your masturbatary habits with the whole world? He seems as nothing more than an attention whore to me.

And what on earth did hs father do wrong? He didn't condemn his son. He didn't throw him out. He didn't cut ties with him. He just didn't discuss it. I imagine that it was a huge blow to his father to hear this (going from his son's depiction of him as old fashioned etc), and yet rather than freak out, he just took it with silence, a type of passive acceptance. It's far more noble and honourable than the reaction of his son who decided to make this video. Although in fairness to the son, I don't think he's stating that his father wouldn't accept him, rather he's just telling a story. I think maybe the OP is taking liberties when he claims his father didn't accept him.

Hmmm so gay is wrong because a penis fits in a vagina....but...but...a human penis would also fit in a horse's vagina (or so Im told :cool:)...so that must mean....euuuwwwww you're cool with having sex with horses....:eek:

• Advertisement

Buttonftw wrote: »

Why do you give a ****?

I don't.

I was merely giving my opinion the same as everyone else :rolleyes:

Just because I think being gay is wrong does that mean I'm not entitled to an opinion?

Einhard wrote: »

Hmmm so gay is wrong because a penis fits in a vagina....but...but...a human penis would also fit in a horse's vagina (or so Im told :cool:)...so that must mean....euuuwwwww you're cool with having sex with horses....:eek:

Errm human beings and animals are 2 different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

The fact that anyone cares even remotely about anyone else's sexual orientation in this day and age hurts my brain.

Why would anyone care either way? I genuinely don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So does that mean anal sex between a man and woman is wrong? :pac:

Errm human beings and animals are 2 different things.

So are men and women....:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement