Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father doesn't accept gay son

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Cienciano wrote: »
    I couldn't give 2 shits if I had a child that was gay. I think any good parent would be the same.
    My foremost concern would be that they would bump into someone like kev2012.

The amount of thought that these people put into strangers' sex lives is intriguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    It's not a case of accepting people, it's case of promotion of being gay

Can you explain how this works exactly? I couldn't choose to be gay and no character in a sitcom or whatever else could change that (besides which, the missus would kick up a fuss).

Also, if sexuality is so easily influenced, there should be no gay people at all, given that the vast majority are heterosexual and nd this is reflected in popular culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hold on a second, I said from what I seen. I'm pretty sure that this stuff isn't just localised to my surroundings.
    But you said "A lot". That's making an incorrect assumption based on the tiny amount of people you've seen. And who are these "weirdos", by the way?
    Now there we go, another thing from the LGBT brigade, bashin religion. As I've said, religion to me is a lot of bollocks and I've no interest in it, but many people still do in Ireland (most peoples parents/grandparents for example). They would be far different today if it wasn't for it and it gives them something to hold on to whenever something bad happens in their lives. It's so hypocritical of people who are pro-gay to start bashing something else like that.

I'm not bashing religion, I'm referring to an organisation that actively fought against peoples rights. Should I not point out that the Ku Klux Klan are responsible for lynchings? And I'm referring to them in context with this subject and one of the reasons homophobia is prevalent with many Irish people. There's nothing hypocritical about it.

It's not a case of accepting people, it's case of promotion of being gay and also the behaviour of gay people I've met. I was in Canada in march and my friend and I spoke to 2 lesbians and a gay man and they were sound. You could tell they were gay from their appearance also, but they just acted normal and weren't over the top like most of the idiots that have surfaced in Ireland.

So you're complaining about a minority within a huge group of people. A minority, which really aren't as visible as you seem to believe.
    I treat everybody with respect when I speak to them not matter who they are unless they do something to really piss me off. But I do find another man talking about having sex with other men offensive similar to people talking offence to swearing, blasphemy etc.etc.
    Then ignore them, or tell them that they're bothering you. Otherwise you've only yourself to blame for putting up with it. And labelling a large portion of humans because of you interactions with a minority within that portion, is insane.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

This Country becomes more and more like a Zoo .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

paddyandy wrote: »
    You want to explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Haven't read the whole thread, but where in the video did it show that the father doesn't accept the son being gay? He didn't flip the lid, he was probably shocked by the revelation. Probably didn't react in the 'pc' way, saying how fine it is etc etc, but maybe his 'would you like more cheese on your bread' and never bringing it up again is his own way of accepting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

Fuinseog wrote: »
    true and some families dance with joy when they find out a family member is gay, while others are devastated.
    i would go as far as to say coming out of the closet is inconsiderate. the gays I have encountered have been largely self centered. perhaps its the anti family lifestyle they pursue. try as they might no babies can be produced through anal sex.heteros have the potion between anal sex and normal sex.
    ultimately its a very lonely lifestyle they choose.

I've yet to get through the whole thrad but this post digusted me esp the parts that I have put in bold. First off would you prefer that people continued to kill themselves rather than come out of the closet because they are so conflicted living a lie?

I'm not sure where in the country you are or what rock you're living under but there are a lot of "alternative families" in this country already that have kids etc and are not protected by law.

And last but not least NO ONE and I mean absolutly NO ONE chooses to be gay, I'm gay and I'm happy now at 28 to be who I am but if you had asked me even 7 years ago would I choose to be gay I would have said no, and I've yet to meet or come across a gay person that doesn't feel that way, that didn't want to be different, please go educate yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

paddyandy wrote: »
    Zoos are fun (when the animals are treated properly). They have a wide variety of animals and lots of interesting information and experiences.

What's wrong with that? Would you prefer to go to a zoo that just had a pond and a few ducks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What the hell do you want me to say then? If I say what I've seen, then it's a stereotype, if I say ANYTHING about gay people then it's dismissed as homophobia (unless it's what everyone wants to hear, but I'm not a f*cking politician).

How come in the last 5 years there has been an absolute explosion in the number of gay people around then? Susceptible teenagers having this craziness in front of them 24/7 (There seems to be a token gay person in every tv show these days) combined with idiots like David Norris going on about going off with teenage boys, has the world gone insane?!

Christ, paedophiles will be crying out for their "human rights" next, then people under 18 and so on and so forth.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere. I actually fear for any children I have in the future.

They were already gay they're just more comfortable to come out now. Do you seriously think some straight lad is sitting at home and watched a tv show and thinks "actually I must give anal sex with another lad a try, seems like a laugh, look how happy all these tv gays are"?

comparing gay people to paedophiles is idiotic btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

later12 wrote: »

I am showing my rapidly advancing age here, but I can remember 1993 reasonably well; I was 8 years old

you're over the fookin hill mate pfffff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What the hell do you want me to say then? If I say what I've seen, then it's a stereotype, if I say ANYTHING about gay people then it's dismissed as homophobia (unless it's what everyone wants to hear, but I'm not a f*cking politician).

How come in the last 5 years there has been an absolute explosion in the number of gay people around then? Susceptible teenagers having this craziness in front of them 24/7 (There seems to be a token gay person in every tv show these days) combined with idiots like David Norris going on about going off with teenage boys, has the world gone insane?!

Because for the first time in centuries, homosexuals no longer have to fear the severe repercussions of coming out.
    They no longer have to face imprisonment, abuse, removal from their family or 'raped straight' (it happened a lot here).

The majority of people have moved on from the days were we judged two adults on their attraction to each other, and now we choose to judge them on their actions and being.

Sexuality is meaningless. It does not affect our skills, what we do or the careers we take. Teachers, doctors, truck drivers, soldiers, cashiers, students and parents. All of these people are nothing more than human beings, and who are we to deny them equality based on who they fall in love with?

Who are you to say my own mother is any less of person than you or I? What has she done wrong?

I'm ignoring the comparison to pedophilia, it's just sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

rochey84 wrote: »
    I've yet to get through the whole thrad but this post digusted
    And that's the type of post the report button is designed for.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

First of all, I'm not religious in any way shape or form. I think logically, so religion to me is a load of bollocks. Yes I have always only found women attractive.

The main problem I have with this LBGT stuff is the "T" part. If you were out one night and you went off with someone who happened to have a mickey the further on you got, would that bother you? If you had a child that was gay would that bother you?

Hold on a second, I said from what I seen. I'm pretty sure that this stuff isn't just localised to my surroundings.

Now there we go, another thing from the LGBT brigade, bashin religion. As I've said, religion to me is a lot of bollocks and I've no interest in it, but many people still do in Ireland (most peoples parents/grandparents for example). They would be far different today if it wasn't for it and it gives them something to hold on to whenever something bad happens in their lives. It's so hypocritical of people who are pro-gay to start bashing something else like that.

It's not a case of accepting people, it's case of promotion of being gay and also the behaviour of gay people I've met. I was in Canada in march and my friend and I spoke to 2 lesbians and a gay man and they were sound. You could tell they were gay from their appearance also, but they just acted normal and weren't over the top like most of the idiots that have surfaced in Ireland.

I treat everybody with respect when I speak to them not matter who they are unless they do something to really piss me off. But I do find another man talking about having sex with other men offensive similar to people talking offence to swearing, blasphemy etc.etc.

I can only go on personal experience, but what happens in my area is more than likely going on everywhere.

Good thing I don't know your friends then!
    Homophobia is the irrational fear or hatred of gay people, you and another poster definitely fulfill this criteria. You believe what you are saying is logical but you drag in the pedophilia argument. That will remain illegal as the secondary party is incapable of consent. Gay people are perfectly capable of consenting and harm nobody in the process, so it shouldn't be an issue. For a person who claims he's being logical, you really aren't, your logic is filled with far too many inconsistencies including many stereotypes.

And would I care if my son came out? Nope, wouldn't give a flying ****. In fact i'd be proud that I raised a person that is comfortable with being honest.

ah 'bigot' is another word the gay lobby like to throw about.

there are heteros who lead double lives and do not hurt those who love them. somethings are best kept secret.

there are married men who came out of the closet much to the humiliation of their wife.
    They do tend to hurt those that they love as the marriage lacks any genuine attraction. They're lying to their spouse unnecessarily so and marriages tend to break down if such lies occur. Do you live in 1950s Ireland or something? Double lives are never good for either person in the relationship. If you break up with your wife she will possibly resent you but will eventually get over it. It's idiotic to remain in such a relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

seamus wrote: »

Because I can't. I never chose. I find women hot, and I always have. The idea of sucking on a penis is right up there with chewing on a turd in terms of how appealing I find it.

Really? If someone offered me 50k to chew a turd I don't think I'd be able to do it.....

.......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

mikom wrote: »
    Gay = merry, cheerful, jolly, joyful, blithe, mirthful.

No... wouldn't suit you paddyandy.

Getting it up the arse doesn't : merry, cheerful or jolly make many people me thinks

Clearly you haven't gotten it up the arse. Or if you did, you didn't use enough lube!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

there were well known gays here in the eighties. norris was always out of the closet and I am sure he tried to enlighten folks, but we just laughed at him. You had gay authors such as wilde. the main reason he was not studied in school was more because he was a protestant.

Wilde was baptised Catholic and Protestant actually, anti religious and self confessed Darwinist in his adulthood. A true genius and like all geniuses not really accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

this thread as usual on the subject of gays suggests an interest in debate and then when people start to criticise gays the terms of abuse are brought out.

it would the gay community lobby is somewhat intolerant to the views of their opponents.
    More or less the things you say about the egalitarian lobby and their views on racism.

Jay D wrote: »
    krudler wrote: »
    Just admit you're a homophobe. I really wish people would stop hiding behind some arbitrary "oh its how I was raised" nonsense and just come out and say they have a prejudice.

Why can't people just accept other people's views? Just because someone doesn't agree with a certain thing it does not make them the extreme and hate it. Fair enough it would be good if everyone was more openminded but they're not.

Because when his view is that I'm some sort of immoral sexual deviant (and probably that I don't deserve equal rights or protection under the law) agreeing to disagree doesn't work - he gets to go on with his happily with his day having his sexual orientation and relationships validated by the world, where as I have to continue being subject to discrimination and having to deal with being called an immoral sexual deviant (who is comparable to a goat ****er or somebody who engages in incest) by people who don't know me but have an unhealthy and perverse interest in my relationships and (quite frankly not that exciting) sex life.

And worse still, I gotta put up with that because he thinks it's "icky"?

BTW - just know that for all those guys out there that don't agree with gays because gay sex is not "natural" or for procreation, just know by your own logic you should also disagree with blow jobs.

Do you really want to be on the side of an argument that is opposed to blow jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

He compared homosexuality to incest in a public forum. I'm pretty sure he's well inside that camp, with his tent pitched.

I'll never have a go at someone for holding any opinion, I will however dissect it & explain to them how & why they are incorrect. I really quite pity people who have such limited perception. I myself might be guilty of holding the same incorrect views if I had been brainwashed enough as a child.

That's just my view, I think it's wrong. Einhard gets my point.

If I see 2 lads holding hands walking down the street, I don't shout 'Queers' or anything, BUT i do feel very uneasy around them.

I will never disagree with gays, If they want to campaign for gay marriage fair enough that's their choice.

But it still makes me feel uneasy as it doesn't seem natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I believe that people are entitled to have different opinions. I am bi-sexual and I live with my girlfriend but I have some ''unpopular opinions'' myself and I think other people are entitled to think whatever they like. Sometimes people react negatively when they find out that I have a girlfriend but that's their issue and not mine.

For the most part though, I have to say that I haven't had very many negative reactions and my parents were perfectly fine with me having a girlfriend, in fact they prefer her over my ex-boyfriends.

I don't understand why some people believe that it is unnatural to be gay etc etc and I find it pretty ridiculous but they are allowed to have an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

If I see 2 lads holding hands walking down the street, I don't shout 'Queers' or anything, BUT i do feel very uneasy around them.

I will never disagree with gays, If they want to campaign for gay marriage fair enough that's their choice.

Well that's your problem, you're the one with the prejudice.

I really do want to understand why you feel "uneasy" around them? Does it bother you as much if it is 2 girls?

Is it because you see men as being chest beating emotionless cavemen only showing affection to appease their women folk so seeing 2 men showing affection to each other just doesn't make sense to you?

What about if you see 2 men hugging in the street? Most of my friends are straight and my best mate is a straight male who had his own issues with homophobia but we would often hug at the end of the night cause we nearly consider ourselves family at this stage and see nothing wrong with hugging it's platonic, would this bother you as well?

I really do want to understand why you feel "uneasy" around them? Does it bother you as much if it is 2 girls? Yes it does, Still seems weird

Is it because you see men as being chest beating emotionless cavemen only showing affection to appease their women folk so seeing 2 men showing affection to each other just doesn't make sense to you? Sort of, maybe I feel uneasy because I associate gays with tans/make-up etc.. Yanoo a male who is very in touch with his feminine side and that's why it doesn't seem natural?

What about if you see 2 men hugging in the street? Most of my friends are straight and my best mate is a straight male who had his own issues with homophobia but we would often hug at the end of the night cause we nearly consider ourselves family at this stage and see nothing wrong with hugging it's platonic, would this bother you as well? 2 guys hugging is fair enough, But going that bit further holding hands/ kissing etc.. does seem weird.

See bolded bits for answers :)

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Wilde became a Catholic shortly before his death.

The reason attitudes have changed is that most people now know at least one openly gay person. Often that person is a family member who they love. It's easy to dismiss the needs of complete strangers, not so easy when it's someone you care about.

true and some families dance with joy when they find out a family member is gay, while others are devastated.
    i would go as far as to say coming out of the closet is inconsiderate. the gays I have encountered have been largely self centered. perhaps its the anti family lifestyle they pursue. try as they might no babies can be produced through anal sex.heteros have the potion between anal sex and normal sex.
    ultimately its a very lonely lifestyle they choose.

You really have no idea what the **** you are talking about do you? It's inconsiderate to want to be yourself with your family and be open and honest with them?

I don't want to cast aspirations on your family but I can't but wonder how healthy your family relationship is if you would think that it would be inconsiderate of a (hopefully given that attitude) hypothetical gay member of your family to refuse to live a lie on order to make your life somehow easier. And they'd be the inconsiderate one?

Also, have you ever lived a "gay lifestyle?" If not, how the hell would you know if it's lonely or not?

Thankfully I have great family and friends who realise there is nothing to accept or tolerate and have zero issue with my being gay. And I can tell you my life is far from lonely or empty. I have wonderful family and great friends, straight and gay, and any romantic relationships I have are just as meaningful as those of my straight friends.

P.S. i didn't choose anything. I doubt you choose to live a straight lifestyle, did you?

Will people stop comparing racism with homophobia? If a black man and a white woman (or vice versa) marry, then it's still a man and a woman.

Marriage is for a man and a woman, not just "2 people who love each other".

It really is not the same so I don't know why this is being used.

I wish people also would realize that a lot of "gay" people are just a bit messed up in the head and hanging around with weirdos. This isn't a homophobic comment, I'm just stating a mere fact.

Facts can usually be supported by evidence. Got any?

prison sex is not considered gay.

arabs have sex with a man before they have sex with a woman but its not considered gay.

Well if you're in prison and aroused by another man, that is kinda gay/bisexual actually.

See bolded bits for answers :)

Thanks for that, so what you're saying, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, is that your prejudice (only using that for want of a better word) is based on social conditioning? Basically the "boys don't cry" attitude. So would it be fair to say that if you saw it more, it would bother you less?

As I said earlier on my own straight best mate had his issues with homophobia, when I came out 6 years ago he saw me in my house kiss a lad for the first time and reacted in a way which had I have seen it I would have asked him to leave, but 6 years on and he doesn't bat an eyelid if I give a partner a kiss, it no longer bothers him because it has become normalised for him. Is it possible that this could happen to you?

And again thank you for your honest responses, I may not like what you're saying but I really do want to better understand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

The fact that anyone cares even remotely about anyone else's sexual orientation in this day and age hurts my brain.

Why would anyone care either way? I genuinely don't understand.

Dead right, if someone is turned on by 7 year old boys, why should I care..

Thanks for that, so what you're saying, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, is that your prejudice (only using that for want of a better word) is based on social conditioning? Basically the "boys don't cry" attitude. So would it be fair to say that if you saw it more, it would bother you less?

As I said earlier on my own straight best mate had his issues with homophobia, when I came out 6 years ago he saw me in my house kiss a lad for the first time and reacted in a way which had I have seen it I would have asked him to leave, but 6 years on and he doesn't bat an eyelid if I give a partner a kiss, it no longer bothers him because it has become normalised for him. Is it possible that this could happen to you?

And again thank you for your honest responses, I may not like what you're saying but I really do want to better understand it!

Possibly, Can't really comment unless I was put in that situation. :)

But I would try and avoid that situation if possible.

Rochelle wrote: »

Stop bringing priests into this!

:p

But fair point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Feisar

I'm a fairly level headed average 28 year old male. I have a singular gay friend. He was always camp but I never pushed the issue or thought much of it. He came out one day and I was like yea that's grand. I wasn't bothered. Nor did it change who he was to me or whatever. Now we were never best mates and have drifted but still keep in contact/meet up every now and then.

We were in Pantibar one time and the lads kissing and being affectionate with each other made me feel really uncomfortable. Why is that? Is it social conditioning?

Also while I don't think society should go down the road of thought crime I do recognize that I am part of the problem. I'm on the same side of the fence as a thug who beats up a gay person. While I'm not at that level I don't accept homosexuality as the norm and as a part of society I contribute to the non acceptance even though I'm never vocal about it and don't think about it very often. It's probably only when a thread like this pops up that it crosses my mind. I think the old adage "bad things happen when good men fail to act" applies here.

First they came for the socialists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

There's no similarity between being gay or a pedophile. The former is between two consenting adults while the latter has one party that is incapable of consent. It is extremely damaging for their long term mental health and it is an act of cruelty that leads to both mental and physical harm. So it can be considered to be genuinely harmful to society. Being gay on the other hand, cannot be.

The fact that you think that they have anything in common is far more worrying. It doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to find the fallacy in your reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

You shouldn't. Unless they're actively doing something that's wrong/illegal/expressing that idea.

Consenting sex between adults isn't comparable to child molestation. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Jesus wept.

Homosexuality is not the same as Paedophilia.

A straight man being turned on by a 7 year old girl is equally not ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I believe that people are entitled to have different opinions. I am bi-sexual and I live with my girlfriend but I have some ''unpopular opinions'' myself and I think other people are entitled to think whatever they like. Sometimes people react negatively when they find out that I have a girlfriend but that's their issue and not mine.

For the most part though, I have to say that I haven't had very many negative reactions and my parents were perfectly fine with me having a girlfriend, in fact they prefer her over my ex-boyfriends.

I don't understand why some people believe that it is unnatural to be gay etc etc and I find it pretty ridiculous but they are allowed to have an opinion.
    Of course they're allowed their opinions. But if they state that opinion publicly (like on boards), they can have that opinion questioned/debated/countered.
    It's my opinion that kev_2012 is talking shite.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Of course they're allowed their opinions. But if they state that opinion publicly (like on boards), they can have that opinion questioned/debated/countered.
    It's my opinion that kev_2012 is talking shite.

I can only speak for myself. It's natural the same way everything in the Universe is natural. To me it just seems "off". I also know my opinion is completely groundless and without any logic behind it at all.

Feisar wrote: »
    I'm a fairly level headed average 28 year old male. I have a singular gay friend. He was always camp but I never pushed the issue or thought much of it. He came out one day and I was like yea that's grand. I wasn't bothered. Nor did it change who he was to me or whatever. Now we were never best mates and have drifted but still keep in contact/meet up every now and then.

We were in Pantibar one time and the lads kissing and being affectionate with each other made me feel really uncomfortable. Why is that? Is it social conditioning?

Also while I don't think society should go down the road of thought crime I do recognize that I am part of the problem. I'm on the same side of the fence as a thug who beats up a gay person. While I'm not at that level I don't accept homosexuality as the norm and as a part of society I contribute to the non acceptance even though I'm never vocal about it and don't think about it very often. It's probably only when a thread like this pops up that it crosses my mind. I think the old adage "bad things happen when good men fail to act" applies here.

While I'm not a socialiologist (I can't even spell it right) I would say that it is all about social conditioning. I'm not gonna lie the first couple of times I went to a gay bar I was uncomfortable with seeing men being affectionate toward men, but the more I went the more I got used to it. Now by that I mean the lads that gave their partner a quick kiss or something not the lads that are as good as riding in the corner, that sort of scenario makes me uncomforatable be it in a straight bar or a gay bar!

I'm probably gonna get abused by my gay peers for this but I know that when I'm out and about in the real world (i.e. anywhere but a gay bar) and I see 2 lads holding hands or kissin on the street I still do a double take, now to be fair I mentally applaud them for having the balls to do it but I automatically start looking around for the litte scrote that will think that it is a perfect opportunity to kick seven shades of the brown stuff out of them!

The reality is this isn't the norm or the socially accepted sight and anyone is going to be somewhat shocked or put on edge when they see it. Even last week a gay friend on FB felt the need to set their status to something along the lines of "Just saw 2 guys kissing on Grafton Street at the end of their lunch, how sweet" now I'm pretty sure that it is a pretty common sight around lunch time to see partners kissin each other but the fact that this was 2 men had someone publicly stating that it was cute, it wasn't cute it was brave and possibly stupid!

So in short, yes we have been conditioned to believe that seeing 2 men, or 2 women being affectionate in public is wrong!

I saw two guys walking by the canal a while back and did a quick double take and mental applauded. I think one of them saw my looking though, because next thing he dropped the other guys hand and looked a bit awkward.

I wanted to run up to them and go "Keep it up, go team" but I figured if it wasn't awkward enough already, that would surely do it!

I can only speak for myself. It's natural the same way everything in the Universe is natural. To me it just seems "off". I also know my opinion is completely groundless and without any logic behind it at all.

What you are saying is to you its "off"; so I can say that the world being round is "off" for me because Iv been brought up to believe that the world is flat and conditioned in such a way that to think otherwise about any other proposition would be "off". See how ridiculous it sounds.
    Im fully aware of the reasons you would think it off- very little spoken about it as a kid no doubt unless in a negative sense and definitely no actual interaction with a gay person as a kid. We are conditioned as kids for what we later accept and believe but it is also a challenge to try and get over these hurdles put in front of us by parents and older generations and not just accept these things as "off".

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    What you are saying is to you its "off"; so I can say that the world being round is "off" for me because Iv been brought up to believe that the world is flat and conditioned in such a way that to think otherwise about any other proposition would be "off". See how ridiculous it sounds.
    Im fully aware of the reasons you would think it off- very little spoken about it as a kid no doubt unless in a negative sense and definitely no actual interaction with a gay person as a kid. We are conditioned as kids for what we later accept and believe but it is also a challenge to try and get over these hurdles put in front of us by parents and older generations and not just accept these things as "off".

Oh in the house at home a quote from Dad would be "Christ, anything but that".

Now I'm obviously able to have my own views on the subject but I've obviously been influenced by that sort of attitude during my formative years. And please don't use logic against my retarded point of view! Well its not a point of view just a gut feeling of yuck.

Maybe an hour of gay porn every evening would bring me around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Every evening? I'd say just a single hour of gay porn would desensitise you to hand holding and kissing in a pub. :)

• Advertisement

Possibly, Can't really comment unless I was put in that situation. :)

But I would try and avoid that situation if possible.

You see therein lies the problem that a lot of people are having with you, you accept that your prejudice could be driven by social conditioning but you aren't willing to challenge said social conditioning but just accept it.

If you are unwilling to change then maybe, and I'm only saying MAYBE, that is what is causing people to call you a bigot?

! Well its not a point of view just a gut feeling of yuck.
    !

Yes, the gut feeling is a result of negative connotations prescribed to such acts all during your youth and also a result of seeing very little romantic imagery of homosexuality.
    If you look at the kids from the Westboro Baptist church in Louis Theroux's documentaries for instance a good few will grow up with the most ridiculous views purely because it was beat into them from a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Now I'm obviously able to have my own views on the subject but I've obviously been influenced by that sort of attitude during my formative years. And please don't use logic against my retarded point of view! Well its not a point of view just a gut feeling of yuck.

When do you want to make this porn? I can't promise I'll come round everyday but shur if you're a looker, who knows?

Feck it, if you know its illogical, and you aren't going around telling anybody else how to live their lives or judging people, its hard to really criticise you - especially if you're willing to sit through an hour a day of gay porn for the cause!

I have a somewhat illogical aversion to prawns. i actually kinda like the taste of them, and the texture is fine, but I can't help thinking they're kinda icky for some reason.

While I try not to stare directly at them when people are de-shelling them in a restaurant (food should not be served with eyes or legs) I wouldn't tell them to eat them in private and I certainly wouldn't tell them not to order them!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You're dead right of course.
    All the gays are automatically into 7 year olds.
    Fact.

You see therein lies the problem that a lot of people are having with you, you accept that your prejudice could be driven by social conditioning but you aren't willing to challenge said social conditioning but just accept it.

If you are unwilling to change then maybe, and I'm only saying MAYBE, that is what is causing people to call you a bigot?

Couldn't give a **** what people think about me TBH.

My opinion is being gay is wrong, I have tried to justify it but any argument I make is not good enough and ye pick holes in it.

I will NEVER accept being gay is okay, My choice.

• Advertisement

Couldn't give a **** what people think about me TBH.

My opinion is being gay is wrong, I have tried to justify it but any argument I make is not good enough and ye pick holes in it.

I will NEVER accept being gay is okay, My choice.

And that's the reason why you're a poor example of a human being.

floggg wrote: »
    Feck it, if you know its illogical, and you aren't going around telling anybody else how to live their lives or judging people, its hard to really criticise you - especially if you're willing to sit through an hour a day of gay porn for the cause!

I have a somewhat illogical aversion to prawns. i actually kinda like the taste of them, and the texture is fine, but I can't help thinking they're kinda icky for some reason.

While I try not to stare directly at them when people are de-shelling them in a restaurant (food should not be served with eyes or legs) I wouldn't tell them to eat them in private and I certainly wouldn't tell them not to order them!

But as I stated in previous posts I'm part of society and therefore part of the problem. One thing for sure though if I ever have kids I won't pass on the prejudices I've been saddled with.

And that's the reason why you're a poor example of a human being.

Good man yourself, That's your opinion.

My opinion is gay is wrong.

See how that works? Everyone has an opinion. :rolleyes:

Ignorance is just lovely! Isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You're entitled to it. Care to explain why it's wrong? If you make a statement like that you can at least explain it, or you'll be called ignorant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement