Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father doesn't accept gay son

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

Couldn't give a **** what people think about me TBH.

My opinion is being gay is wrong, I have tried to justify it but any argument I make is not good enough and ye pick holes in it.

I will NEVER accept being gay is okay, My choice.

I wasn't trying to convince you of otherwise I was simply suggesting ways in which we can all get along, however I can now see that you're not interested. I sincerely hope for your sake and the sake of any gay person you come into contact with that your opinion is 1 day altered be it that you are affected i.e. a good friend or family member comes out, but I genuinely hope that none of your kids ever have to be subjected to this wrath. I was never trying to pick holes in an argument just having a debate and discussion on the isssue.

However I once heard the following quote on TV can't remember what show though:

"You know what homophobia really says about you? Right?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Good man yourself, That's your opinion.

My opinion is gay is wrong.

See how that works? Everyone has an opinion. :rolleyes:

If it came up to a vote, would you vote to allow gay people to have the same rights to marriage and adoption as heterosexual people?

If not then it's not "just your opinion", it is you using a poorly thought out, baseless "Ickyness" argument to deprive your fellow citizens of equal rights.

As a thought experiment, imagine yourself as a person who was brought up in the American south in the '60s.

Your alter-ego sees an interracial couple walking down the street. Their upbringing has taught them that this is unnatural and wrong. If it came to a vote, they would probably vote to make such relationships illegal.

You would probably recognise this as terribly unfair and discriminatory:
    Their defence that they support anti-miscegenation laws due to the way they were raised, and that they have a gut-feeling that it's icky means that other innocent people are oppressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    How come in the last 5 years there has been an absolute explosion in the number of gay people around then?

Because homosexuality was pretty much legalised in 93. I was born in 94, so my generation are the first to grow up where it is legally acceptable to be gay.

And with less and less stigma and oppression to stay closeted, more and more gay people feel it's ok to come out. There was never an explosion. The amount of gay people in the world has stayed the same it's only the ones who think that's it's acceptable for them to be out that has "exploded".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Lads that's my opinion, I don't have to justify it to anyone.

Why does everyone have a problem with my opinion? If your gay yourselves, What ****ing difference does it make that I think it's wrong. If your happy with yourself why care what way I or anyone else views you?

Not gonna bother me ars replying any more, Couldn't be arsed as it makes no difference what ye say.... It's still wrong in MY opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Couldn't give a **** what people think about me TBH.

My opinion is being gay is wrong, I have tried to justify it but any argument I make is not good enough and ye pick holes in it.

I will NEVER accept being gay is okay, My choice.

Erm, I've just checked for an argument but you don't appear to have any. You just don't like the look of it or something...... You have every right to your opinion but if your opinion is baseless expect it to be criticised and deconstructed. If you can't think of any real reasons to justify your opinion, isn't there something wrong with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

This can really help young people who are struggling with their homosexuality. It must feel really lonely in this backward society.

The guy who made this video is putting himself up for the pathetic criticisms of the internet (and of boards. ie) because he wants to help other, young people who may feel like they're on their own.

Insult him all you want, he's still a better person than you'll ever be to put himself out there for the sake of normalising homosexuality and to let young people know the support they need is there.

For every 10 insults he gets, he'll be impacting 1 person in a positive way.

He might even save a life with this.

Why does everyone have a problem with my opinion? If your gay yourselves, What ****ing difference does it make that I think it's wrong. If your happy with yourself why care what way I or anyone else views you?

Not gonna bother me ars replying any more, Couldn't be arsed as it makes no difference what ye say.... It's still wrong in MY opinion.

I can't speak for the rest of the gay people or the people who aren't gay but sympathise with gay people, but one day in the very near future it is quite possible that your opinion could have some bearing on weather or not gay people achieve equal status in the eyes of the law with regard to marraige and family, and while I know you don't agree with gay people in general, I would say it's safe to assume that you also disagree with gay people raising children, but this is already happening without support from the government and the support is required.

I one day hope to raise a family with my future partner but while there are still people like you who would deny me that right purely because my partner is the same sex as me, and not only deny me that right in your own head but can help potentially give the government the mandate to stop it happening. that is why we give such a massive fuck about your opinion cause your opinion could delay the required change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Don't believe everything your mammy and daddy told you as a kid.

Sometimes you have to grow up and question the world for yourself. Read a few books on subjects you never thought you would, talk to people you wouldn't necessarily expect to, question your tact assumptions and your unarticulated presuppositions and the world will begin to change for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

Because your the type of person who would vote no to things like marriage equality for same sex couples. Do you see that? You could have the power to deny people equality all because you think it's icky?

If it's not you personally there will be others like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So it's wrong, but you don't know why. But it's your "opinion". Brilliant, I'm guessing you either work in the brain surgery department of James's Hospital, or you worked on the propulsion system on that probe that just went to mars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Maybe because your arguments are not good enough. If you had a good argument as to why homosexuality is wrong, we wouldn't be able to pick holes in it.

Because when it's all brought down to it's simplest form, you don't have an argument as to why homosexuality is wrong. It's just your own opinion. And that's fine. If that's how you feel, that's fine.

The issue though, is when a referendum comes around on gay marriage. Your vote, based on nothing more than your own opinion, could help determine whether or not gay people can get married. And if you voted No, your vote, based off nothing but your own opinion, would go towards denying people the right to get married to the person they love.

Your opinion matters. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

rochey84 wrote: »
    While I'm not a socialiologist (I can't even spell it right) I would say that it is all about social conditioning. I'm not gonna lie the first couple of times I went to a gay bar I was uncomfortable with seeing men being affectionate toward men, but the more I went the more I got used to it. Now by that I mean the lads that gave their partner a quick kiss or something not the lads that are as good as riding in the corner, that sort of scenario makes me uncomforatable be it in a straight bar or a gay bar!

I'm probably gonna get abused by my gay peers for this but I know that when I'm out and about in the real world (i.e. anywhere but a gay bar) and I see 2 lads holding hands or kissin on the street I still do a double take, now to be fair I mentally applaud them for having the balls to do it but I automatically start looking around for the litte scrote that will think that it is a perfect opportunity to kick seven shades of the brown stuff out of them!

The reality is this isn't the norm or the socially accepted sight and anyone is going to be somewhat shocked or put on edge when they see it. Even last week a gay friend on FB felt the need to set their status to something along the lines of "Just saw 2 guys kissing on Grafton Street at the end of their lunch, how sweet" now I'm pretty sure that it is a pretty common sight around lunch time to see partners kissin each other but the fact that this was 2 men had someone publicly stating that it was cute, it wasn't cute it was brave and possibly stupid!

So in short, yes we have been conditioned to believe that seeing 2 men, or 2 women being affectionate in public is wrong!

This is an excellent post. I'm absolutely for full equality for gay people, but I have to admit that seeing to men going at it in a ightclub would mae me uncomfortable. I accept that that's my problem, and it's basically because it's not something that I see very often. The more open it becomes, the more people will get used to it, and the less uncomfortable people will be.

However, I think the same social conditioning which makes even young social liberals like myself squirm as little in the presence of same sex affection affects an older generation to an even greater extent. many such people were never exposed to any degree of homosexuality or gay culture; unlike us, homosexuality never became normalised for them. Thus, when they're asked about it, they have a vague sense of it as being wrong. They can't quite put their finger on it, it just seems not the done thing. Like us, these people are a product of the society in which the were born and matured. Press these people, show them a gay couple, or even introduce them, and their unease turns out to be very much skin deep. Their "prejudices" are hgenerally easily discarded. And yet, a lot of people will automatically label these people as bigots or homophobes or stupid people who just just crawl back under whatever rock from whence they crawled. I think such people do the progressive agenda a grave disservice, and show themselves as arrogant, ingorant, and intolerant. It appears, to me at least, that some people are more interested in indulging themselves nd their perceived superiority than in advancing a cuase which they alwats claim to espouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Fuinseog wrote: »
    this thread as usual on the subject of gays suggests an interest in debate and then when people start to criticise gays the terms of abuse are brought out.

it would the gay community lobby is somewhat intolerant to the views of their opponents.

Yeah, its weird the way some folk can be so god damned tetchy about something so small as being denied equal rights and being discriminated against because of what they choose to do in the privacy of their own homes. They even take offence when other people tell them they should "live a double life" to spare the feelings of their families. Never understood that... Those gays are, like, soooooo sensitive :rolleyes:

<snip>

<snip>

Best laugh I've had all day :D

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Best laugh I've had all day :D

No hassle, Glad I could be a spot of entertainment :D

Einhard wrote: »
    This is an excellent post. I'm absolutely for full equality for gay people, but I have to admit that seeing to men going at it in a ightclub would mae me uncomfortable. I accept that that's my problem, and it's basically because it's not something that I see very often. The more open it becomes, the more people will get used to it, and the less uncomfortable people will be.

However, I think the same social conditioning which makes even young social liberals like myself squirm as little in the presence of same sex affection affects an older generation to an even greater extent. many such people were never exposed to any degree of homosexuality or gay culture; unlike us, homosexuality never became normalised for them. Thus, when they're asked about it, they have a vague sense of it as being wrong. They can't quite put their finger on it, it just seems not the done thing. Like us, these people are a product of the society in which the were born and matured. Press these people, show them a gay couple, or even introduce them, and their unease turns out to be very much skin deep. Their "prejudices" are hgenerally easily discarded. And yet, a lot of people will automatically label these people as bigots or homophobes or stupid people who just just crawl back under whatever rock from whence they crawled. I think such people do the progressive agenda a grave disservice, and show themselves as arrogant, ingorant, and intolerant. It appears, to me at least, that some people are more interested in indulging themselves nd their perceived superiority than in advancing a cuase which they alwats claim to espouse.

What nightclubs do you go to?? :eek:

Seeing anyone "go at it" as you so eloquently put it, would make me uncomfortable... I am a gay woman, and you know what makes me uncomfortable? STRAIGHT men hitting on myself and my partner in clubs, asking if we are interested in a threesome or telling us to "call if we ever change our minds". Now that makes me uncomfortable, and it happens an awful lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

<snip>.

Of the 34 million people living with AIDS worldwide, more than half are heterosexual women.
    <snip>

No it wouldn't, because none of those are consensual.
    <snip>

Yes, because we have a huge epidemic of under-population at the moment. What about infertile straight couples? Should they too be banned from being open about their sexuality?
    <snip>.

There you go again, comparing gays to pedophiles and other delinquents.
    <snip>

Most? The only reason you think 'most' gays are like that is because they're the only ones you see. You meet gay people every single day; the only reason you don't know it is because they're not as obvious as the type you mentioned.

If you think all gays are effeminate, google bears.
    <snip>.

Well duh. Of course it had to be Adam and Eve. How else would they procreate?
    <snip>

WE'RE LOOKING FOR EQUALITY. What don't you get?
    <snip>

Please direct me to evidence of this. Many US studies have shown that the gender of parents does not make a difference in a child's psychological development.
    <snip>

No, they don't. You are not born with bigotry. You are taught it.

Jammy, every single thing you say is drowning in utter bigotry and ignorance. For the love of god, OPEN A BOOK.

No hassle, Glad I could be a spot of entertainment :D

And unintentionally too...the best kind of humour ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

"Hey guys! Would you be ever so nice and stop pointing out all the ways I'm completely wrong about my entire world view?

kthnxbai"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

<snip>.

You'll be so ashamed when you come out in a few years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

<snip>

If you are presenting the above as facts where is your evidence to support them?

Oh and I will have to tell my gentle and loving husband that he's to show no no more affection as he is 'supposed' to be 'tough' and a 'survivor'. :rolleyes:

By your logic then is Katie Taylor a bloke? :eek:

There isn't a roll eyes icon large enough to express my feelings at this post...

PB1989 I'd thank your last post twice if I could!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

<snip>.

You'll need to provide evidence on that one Jammy.
    I think you will find that hetros tend to get more STDs due to gay people paying more attention to their sexual health.
    <snip>..

LOL
    Cos that doesn't happen already and there are no strange people on the planet right now.
    <snip>

I'm pretty sure they can if they choose to do so.
    <snip>.

Aye. Because the planet is running out of humans and we're not at all over populated as it is.
    <snip>.

The ignorance in that statement is beyond mind boggling.
    If you are going to express and have an opinion on a particular subject, at least have the decency of educating yourself on the topic before coming out with such shocking, unsubstantiated comments.
    <snip>.

That a minority and you only notice them because they choose to look that way.
    You won't even notice the vast majority of gay people, they are under the radar.
    <snip>

You do know that Adam and Eve is a myth, right?
    Or are you going to tell us that the earths population was produced by two people, that would suggest a lot of incest going on back in the day.
    <snip>

Read The Selfish Gene for a full and extensive, scientifically proven explanation on how we got here.
    <snip>

No explanation will be required. Children are naturally loving towards everyone and accept it.
    Until someone like you comes along and tells them it's wrong that is.
    <snip>.

You are wrong.
    <snip>

Why didn't Rosa Parks just stay sitting at the back of the bus?
    Because people like you want to keep them second class citizens.

Jammy Donut, your post was so wrong it was quite funny. However, just to point something out:
    I am in no way religious but let me use this as an example,
    No-one knows where we came from or how we got here, But let's go with the Bible reasoning afterall we had to begin from somewhere and there had to be someone who set foot on here first so let's presume the first 4 people on this planet were gay, Life would have not survived and evolution would have NEVER happened.

If we use the Bible reasoning (don't see why if you're in no way religious, but anyway), the first four people on this planet were not gay. They were however, related. Adam and Eve and their two sons Cain and Abel. Therefore, if incest wasn't good, life would not have survived and evolution would have NEVER happened.

The rest of your post was just rambling nonsense.

People will find holes in EVERY argument. Just because you see or hear what you want.

I was asked to explain why I think what I do and I provided it.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

<snip>

Thanks for proving me correct buddy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

People will find holes in EVERY argument. Just because you see or hear what you want.

<snip>

Show evidence of your statements. Your post is idiotic and entirely unsubstantiated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

What do ye want me to do? Bum me so I see what it's like. :rolleyes:

I find it odd that you would choose to be the bottom in this case and not the top....

bp1989 wrote: »
    Troll alert.

**** yourself, Just because I don't agree with your view of life I'm a troll?

Can someone delete or deactivate my account or something... As I just couldn't be arsed and will eventually say **** that'll get me banned anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

Oh, and for what it's worth, the YouTube video is mine. Reading views like Jammy's make me so happy I posted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The education system in this country really has a lot to answer.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

What nightclubs do you go to?? :eek:

Seeing anyone "go at it" as you so eloquently put it, would make me uncomfortable... I am a gay woman, and you know what makes me uncomfortable? STRAIGHT men hitting on myself and my partner in clubs, asking if we are interested in a threesome or telling us to "call if we ever change our minds". Now that makes me uncomfortable, and it happens an awful lot...

I have to agree with you there, don't know how many times men have suggested threesomes or asked my girlfriend out in front of me and then when she explains that we are a couple she usually gets the reaction ''oh, that's ok, your girlfriend can come too..'' It is odd to feel jealous and unattractive all at the same time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Can someone delete or deactivate my account or something...

You have the capability to close your own account.

What a shame though, you would rather leave and live in ignorance than learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Penn wrote: »
    Maybe because your arguments are not good enough. If you had a good argument as to why homosexuality is wrong, we wouldn't be able to pick holes in it.

Because when it's all brought down to it's simplest form, you don't have an argument as to why homosexuality is wrong. It's just your own opinion. And that's fine. If that's how you feel, that's fine.

The issue though, is when a referendum comes around on gay marriage. Your vote, based on nothing more than your own opinion, could help determine whether or not gay people can get married. And if you voted No, your vote, based off nothing but your own opinion, would go towards denying people the right to get married to the person they love.

Your opinion matters. Unfortunately.

Maybe it's actually democracy that you have an issue with. Not one guys (baseless) opinion.

The guy doesn't have to support everything you or the rest of the 'mob' want him to.... that is his opinion, he may with a little enlightenment change that opinion in the future.

The hope would be that enough of the people who do support your beliefs and ideas will vote in any referendum there might be and they will be the majority.

But to argue down someone that expresses their own opinion and has said they won't change it (yes even a baseless one) because it doesn't suit your agenda, is wrong, and somewhat counter productive to your argument.

What do ye want me to do? Bum me so I see what it's like. :rolleyes:

All I have done in this thread is to try and engage you in conversation, you're last post was so ignorant and shameful and insulting I felt that it needed to be reported.

I am sorry you seem to have such a narrow mind, and for the record if I want to get married and raise kids, I will not **** off elsewhere to do it, I'll fight for my right to do it in the country and land that I call home and that I love despite ignorant views like yours, I am delighted that people like you are the minority. Oh and just in case you're worried, there are gays in your gym and in the pub you go to, it's a subtle plan to take over the world but don't tell anyone!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

<snip>

I just wrote a length rebuttal to your points Jammy, and boards managed to delete it on me. Suffice to say that none of your points have any bearing in reality, and many are simply confusing. That's not an attack on you, but rather on your thinking on this manner. I think you are uneasy with gays, and are trying to construct some form of rational scaffold around it. It's not working.

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I have to agree with you there, don't know how many times men have suggested threesomes or asked my girlfriend out in front of me and then when she explains that we are a couple she usually gets the reaction ''oh, that's ok, your girlfriend can come too..'' It is odd to feel jealous and unattractive all at the same time.

I know! Its weird because they are not being openly homophobic, and I dont want to appear stuck up or whatever, but at the same point it is disrespectful. I try to imagine what would happen if a straight man approached another straight man's partner and hit on her. Fair enough mistakes can be made but in most cases, the guy who approached would quickly backtrack. He certainly wouldn't push the issue. When you tell a straight man you are a lesbian, its often like a red rag to a bull, and its something I never understood - the very definition of lesbian means we are automatically not attracted to you! :rolleyes:

Maybe its an ego thing or something. They cant make their peace with the idea that some women are just not into them, and they feel the need to prove something? Imagine the conversation down in the local: "Aw lads I banged yer one last night. She didn't know what she was missing 'til I slung 'er one"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Einhard wrote: »
    I just wrote a length rebuttal to your points Jammy, and boards managed to delete it on me. Suffice to say that none of your points have any bearing in reality, and many are simply confusing. That's not an attack on you, but rather on your thinking on this manner. I think you are uneasy with gays, and are trying to construct some form of rational scaffold around it. It's not working.

I wrote a lengthy rebuttal too but as I was finishing it I just thought "What's the point", he has his opinions and views of the gays.

It's just how he tries to reinforce his points with the likes of Adam & Eve, "penis goes in vagina so there", and wild stereotyping that make it weak.

If you want to voice your opinion, even unpopular, you have to be prepared to stand by it with a better argument and points than that, Jammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

<snip> You seem obessed with animals and beastility, its got no relevance to the topic being discussed, you wont justify yourself with crass comments like these But when they come into public expressing their gayness well that's different.

<snip>. Really? Sounds like hearsay to me. Show us the figures

Legalizing gay marriage will provide encouragment to all kinds of strange people, wanting to marry their dog/car/horse etc.. I dont see anyway how it would tbh

<snip> But we have the heterosexual population who can. How would this be anyway hindered?

<snip>. How do you know that exactly? Personal experience, maybe?

<snip> World has moved on from the stone age, get over it

<snip>. But obviously they werent so its a pretty redundant argument

<snip> You could say the same about heterosexuals who go around flaunting their sexuality in public, dosent make it anymore right or wrong, imo.

<snip> You may have a point on this one, but if they do never get accepted, its because of bigoted people like yourself

<snip> Your wrong. By and large kids accept things they are told as a child. If they are taught that two people of the same sex being together is normal and natural, they'll believe that.

Nice one

AEDIC wrote: »
    Maybe it's actually democracy that you have an issue with. Not one guys (baseless) opinion.

The guy doesn't have to support everything you or the rest of the 'mob' want him to.... that is his opinion, he may with a little enlightenment change that opinion in the future.

The hope would be that enough of the people who do support your beliefs and ideas will vote in any referendum there might be and they will be the majority.

But to argue down someone that expresses their own opinion and has said they won't change it (yes even a baseless one) because it doesn't suit your agenda, is wrong, and somewhat counter productive to your argument.

It was more of a flippant remark than the basis of an actual argument, but I know what you mean and perhaps I took it a bit far. My point was that he's basing everything on opinion rather than facts and that stopping people from being able to marry simply because he personally disagrees with it, even though he's perfectly entitled to do so, is just sad to me.

• Advertisement

Mod

Jammy Donut has closed his account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As for being born gay? No, People arn't born pedos/rapists/druggies etc... It's a choice they made, Whether influenced by their upbringing or other events.
    Out of all the points you made, this one sticks out for me.
    Peoples sexuality doesn't change depending on their surrounding!

This leads me to believe you're speaking from experience. Do you get the urge to give someone a blowjob when you watch Alan Carr: Chatty Man?

This thread started off so well, it unfortunately didn't end so well the user that I won't name but everyone knows to whom I refer makes me sad and sorry for people of his ilk. To go back on topic I think that video was a well done piece the people running the guy down for discussing his masterbaiting habits, he was trying to explain what lengths he went to, to try be straight and I can relate. The bit about his father, he wasn't insulting the man just showing the attitude of some of the older generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I know! Its weird because they are not being openly homophobic, and I dont want to appear stuck up or whatever, but at the same point it is disrespectful. I try to imagine what would happen if a straight man approached another straight man's partner and hit on her. Fair enough mistakes can be made but in most cases, the guy who approached would quickly backtrack. He certainly wouldn't push the issue. When you tell a straight man you are a lesbian, its often like a red rag to a bull, and its something I never understood - the very definition of lesbian means we are automatically not attracted to you! :rolleyes:

Maybe its an ego thing or something. They cant make their peace with the idea that some women are just not into them, and they feel the need to prove something? Imagine the conversation down in the local: "Aw lads I banged yer one last night. She didn't know what she was missing 'til I slung 'er one"

I often have to think the same, that if I was a man then they'd quickly realise that we're together and they'd back off. Several times men have come over and sat down at our table and said things like ''oh, you're lezzers!'' as if that is a perfectly acceptable thing to say. I certainly don't tell them that I'm bi-sexual because that seems to insinuate that we have an open relationship or that I am a swinger (nothing wrong with that, but people assuming it all the time is quite annoying, I am capable of a monogamous relationship). It is so disrespectful to try it on with someone in front of their partner, but somehow we don't 'count' because we're women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What always annoys me about these threads (apart from the bigots) is the whole choice/born that way dichotomy. OK, let's say that sexuality isn't innate and does have something to do with the way someone is brought up, their experiences and there is an element of choice to it. So what? If a woman chooses to spend her life with another woman how does that give you the right to be intolerant of them and discriminate against them? If I want to marry someone, I should be allowed whether that person is male or female. The reason for me going out with that person is irrelevant (apart from marrying for passports and that.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

<snip>.

Proof?
    <snip>

This affects anyone else's marriage how exactly?
    <snip>.

The world is already overpopulated, we'll be fine.

<snip>

Source?
    <snip>

all those gay men in the army must be hilarious once the bullets start flying.I don't know one gay man who wears makeup, I do know a stright guy who wears fake tan though.
    <snip>.

you're not religious yet think Adam and Eve actually existed? shenanigans.
    <snip>

By that logic Adam an Eve had two sons. so..the human race was created out of incest? and you have a problem with gay people?
    <snip>

See many gay people shagging on the streets do we? straight sex is prevalent everywhere. in advertising etc.
    <snip>

I got bullied because I was chubby, my friend got bullied because he had red hair, a girl in our class was bullied because she had braces, kids will bully other kids over anything.
    <snip>

"Daddy why are those two men holding hands?"
    "Well sometimes two men or women fall in love, that's ok though and they're not any different from you or me."

wahey, balanced, unbigoted kids.

<snip>.

there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

So Adam and eve was a man and a woman, what was Cain and Abel.

I think what the guy in the OP did was wrong, I have family problems and rows but I don't make a video and tell everyone, I keep it with-in the family till it is resolved. Eventually it does resolve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I'm curious do people think it's wrong for two brothers to have a sexual relationship?

Colmustard wrote: »
    So Adam and eve was a man and a woman, what was Cain and Abel.

I think what the guy in the OP did was wrong, I have family problems and rows but I don't make a video and tell everyone, I keep it with-in the family till it is resolved. Eventually it does resolve.

I don't know if you're gay or straight or bisexual, asexual, etc. But I know that a gay man panics so much about the reaction of parents esp parents, he didn't told of his father's indifference (I think I'd need to watch it again) he slagged off the older generation in terms of his father's dislike/not-understanding of technology. He made the video to help others understand that even though the biggest step in a gay person's life it isn't all that big a deal with to the people in our lives, if my memory of the video is correct the person in the Video, Brian, who is also a user on here, never once said that his dad disowned him or didn't accept him, he just had a difficult time adjusting to the fact that his son was gay. The title of the Thread is a little misleading to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I'm curious do people think it's wrong for two brothers to have a sexual relationship?

Eurghhhhhh, yes I do.

Advertisement