Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Broadband To Go Failed Connection Attempts

Options
  • 13-08-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone out there has knowledge of, or has experienced the same issue as myself and can help end my frustration ....

I bought a Meteor Huaweii Dongle a number of months back. Up until a week or so ago, i have had no connection issues with it on my home PC. All of a sudden i was unable to connect to the internet - I kept receiving an error advising ' unable to connect, check settings, would you like to try again?'

I rang Meteor support who advised i bring it to the shop which i did and of course they plugged it into their laptop and it worked no problem.
    They told me to go home, uninstall, reinstall and try again which i did more than once. I got the same error message on the connection screen with the same wording so i returned to the shop for a second time where again magical forces were at work and there was no issue on their laptop.
    Since then i have plugged it into my laptop where it is working absolutely fine and where i am now writing this post from.
    Both PC & Laptop are running Windows XP so it's not the windows 7 bug i see discussed on Boards previously that is affecting me.

I would be ever so grateful for any assistance any kind soul can offer me as i am at the end of the line with frustration at this stage.
    If you could please, where possible, break down any answers or steps so i can follow them with general ease i would be ever so grateful.

Many thanks to all who have taken the time to read this a put forward a suggestion/solution

rmoriarty247

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rmoriarty247

Guys,

Can anybody out there please help me as this is an ongoing issue

Thanks,
    rmoriarty247

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

It works on your laptop and the Meteor laptop. Have you by any chance tried it on another desktop PC or laptop....a friend or colleague perhaps?

I used to have a Vodafone dongle and it worked fine on a laptop and Desktop for a long time both on windows XP. Then one day it just stopped working on the laptop but the desktop was ok. I forget the fine details , but I tried reinstalling it and no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Have you tried using a different USB port?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, the two likely culprits would be:
    Software/driver issue
    USB power

In that order. First try plugging it into the back of the desktop, often ports on the board itself can have a greated power output than those on a front panel.

If its still not going remove the meteor software, then open device manager(right click on my computer on the start bar and hit manage). Uninstall the device(aka its driver) and then remove it before windows puts in a driver automatically again.

Now leave the dongle out, download and install ccleaner, run the top two tabs(first one cleans junk, not relevant but do it anyways). Second tab should fix a bucket of stray keys(just go fix, back it up, then fix all).

Now reboot, let everything start up, then reconnect the dongle again and install it. Let us know how you get on.

BTW1: This is really midband.
    BTW2: You could share the connection in the interim.

Advertisement