Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep question

• 13-08-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Our 27month old keeps waking up anytime between 23:00 and 03:30 EVERY night.

His routine is

- dinner at 18:00,
    - 10-20mins of play
    - bath at 19:15ish
    - Up to bed at 19:45-20:00 with 4oz of milk(used to be water and cordial but changed to milk thinking hunger was waking him) and some stories
    - Asleep by 20:15-20:30

Only to wake few hours later looking to come into our room and wants a drink ...
    Tend to be able to hold of on both 'wants' for 1hr or so but he gets histerical then to the point of almost physically getting sick ...

Any suggestions/thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

My daughter done something similar at 20 mths. I am not sure the reason she done it at first but since I was 39wks pregnant and really needed my sleep I took her in bed because she was histerical and wouldnt settle back. Well she tried the following night, and the following etc...
    If he has been doing this for a while and you have made sure nothing is physically wrong that he is not ill, I would say that like my daughter its a way of getting what they want (being brought in to your room, or given attention/food etc.) They definately dont need food during the night at that age.
    In my opinion you will have to nip it by removing the reward, so dont bring him in. You can do this gradually, by still picking him up and soothing and then just going in, or what we did (hard on the heart but had no choice with new baby coming) went in the room at first saying everything was ok and coming straight back out, waiting 5 min. going back in saying nothing no eye contact, waiting longer everytime. She hadnt done it for long so first night went on for 40 min, second night less than 10 min. and that was back to full night sleep after that. I cried just as much as she did the first night, but was so relieved that it worked so well!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Hi Op,

My fella is 27 months as well over the last six weeks he was waking again
    at night. Thought it was back teeth thankfully he is back to normal had a look
    yesterday and he has cut his last two back teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Maybe a beaker of water by his bed? He could get it himself then.

Advertisement