Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splinter-Mod/Ryan Tubridy Radio Shows Megathread

Options
  • 13-08-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I was banned from the radio forum because i posted about tubbers' radio show on the BBC. I was told that i went off-topic. The title of the thread doesn't refer to Ireland so why then was i banned for posting about his radio show on the BBC. Considering that Northern Ireland's citizens would be licence fee contributors to the BBC are people from NI not allowed post on any BBC NI here.

I have since been told that the language i used describing the presenter is abusive and worthy of a ban. I called Tubridy "servile" and "unctuous".

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have you sent PM's to raise this matter with the Radio Forum Moderators?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

CabanSail wrote: »
    Have you sent PM's to raise this matter with the Radio Forum Moderators?

I sent a pm to splinter. None of my questions were answered. He changed his mind over why i was banned, firstly it was for going off-topic and then when i proved that i didn't go off topic it(the ban) was supposedly for being abusive. When i asked him to show me where i was abusive he refused to reply. The fact that he and another moderator(bbability) are thanking other posters when they are posting leads me to believe that i was banned for criticising tubbers.

I have just pmed Radio Forum moderators. Think that bbability and splinter probably will ignore me but they could be in trouble if the Forum mods believe they are being biased. He made a mistake on this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

ghiertal wrote: »
    I sent a pm to splinter. None of my questions were answered. He changed his mind over why i was banned, firstly it was for going off-topic and then when i proved that i didn't go off topic it(the ban) was supposedly for being abusive. When i asked him to show me where i was abusive he refused to reply. The fact that he and another moderator(bbability) are thanking other posters when they are posting leads me to believe that i was banned for criticising tubbers.

I have just pmed Radio Forum moderators. Think that bbability and splinter probably will ignore me but they could be in trouble if the Forum mods believe they are being biased. He made a mistake on this one.

It would be best if we concentrate on facts and avoid speculation and presumption.

I have not read the entire Mega Thread, or even a majority of it. I have looked at the last few pages from where the Mod Team started to place warnings.

The post which prompted the ban was the following, particularly the line I have placed in bold.
    ghiertal wrote: »
    He was brown-nosing the Brits all this morning again on the Olympics "You did an amazing job", "Wasn't it great to see Ireland and Britain supporting each other". He really is a servile, unctuous little man. You'd think that he coached Katie Taylor with all the nonsense he came out with about Bray. He spent a few hours there last week but he had to stick his craw in. He had more rubbish on Rory McIlroy and Colin Farrell, had to be a name dropper. He must be the only Irishman who actually acts like a plastic paddy, he portrays such an old-fashioned,tweed cap,Terry Wogan image. He is after embarrassing the whole country over there.

This post has to be read while keeping the Forum Charter in mind, especially the section quoted below. Once again the section I have in bold is of special note.
    Clarification on abuse towards radio presenters or those featured on radio programmes:

With regard to radio programmes, this forum is NOT for the GENERAL discussion of the presenters themselves, but for discussion of their programmes and their presenting styles. i.e.: topics such as TV shows presented by them, books they may have written, etc. don’t suit this forum.
    • Physical Adjectives like "fat" "oily" "greasy" or whatever will result in action. However, we generally won't action opinions on style like calling someone "boring" "smug" or "pompous", but we reserve to right to action these where deemed appropriate.
    • Nouns like "git", "asshole", "bore" will result in action as will vulgar language (or substitute words such as "cnut" or "pr1ck" used to get around the boards.ie vulgarity filters). So, it's ok to call someone boring, but not to call them a bore - yes it may be a crap system, but it's the system.
    • None of the mods are strongly pro- or anti- these shows or their presenters. We like a bitching session as much as the next man. However, this is not pub banter, comments are available for everyone to see, for the foreseeable future.

While I agree that you have been clever with language and have skirted very close to the line, you have been careful not to cross it if we were to rely on definitions alone. However this site does allow Moderators some latitude of discretion to act in the best interests of their forums and the site. The Charter in Radio also allows for interpretation. The problem, as I see it, comes down to the manner in which you are posting in this thread. You have adopted an aggressive and patronising style. There are also instances where you have been off topic and in breach of the charter and in thread warnings.

In conclusion I feel that the Forum Moderators have exercised their discretionary powers fairly in this case. A two day ban is really a "Shot over the Bows" . However, if you agree to adjust your posting style I am prepared to reduce the ban to 1 day (time served) If you continue this way I can see more trouble and longer bans ahead.

I await your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

CabanSail wrote: »
    It would be best if we concentrate on facts and avoid speculation and presumption.

I have not read the entire Mega Thread, or even a majority of it. I have looked at the last few pages from where the Mod Team started to place warnings.

The post which prompted the ban was the following, particularly the line I have placed in bold.

This post has to be read while keeping the Forum Charter in mind, especially the section quoted below. Once again the section I have in bold is of special note.

While I agree that you have been clever with language and have skirted very close to the line, you have been careful not to cross it if we were to rely on definitions alone. However this site does allow Moderators some latitude of discretion to act in the best interests of their forums and the site. The Charter in Radio also allows for interpretation. The problem, as I see it, comes down to the manner in which you are posting in this thread. You have adopted an aggressive and patronising style. There are also instances where you have been off topic and in breach of the charter and in thread warnings.

In conclusion I feel that the Forum Moderators have exercised their discretionary powers fairly in this case. A two day ban is really a "Shot over the Bows" . However, if you agree to adjust your posting style I am prepared to reduce the ban to 1 day (time served) If you continue this way I can see more trouble and longer bans ahead.

I await your reply.

Thanks Cabansail, i agree to modify my behaviour.

Ban lifted

Resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement