Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling short filmmakers!

• 13-08-2012 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hello all.

I'm looking for your opinion on an idea I've had.
    I am thinking of setting up a short film screening night in Dubin. It would give filmmakers an opportunity to show their short film on a large screen for free.

It would be in a venue in Swords, with capacity for around 70 people. It has a very chilled vibe, think couches and armchairs around coffee tables instead of theatre seating.

The night would be free to all to submit and screen their short film, and free to attend. There would also be free popcorn and drink promos on the night. It would start at half 9 and run to midnight on a night during the week. The only condition is that filmmakers would have to guarantee to bring at least 5 people each. This can include crew/actors, family and friends. This is how it would be kept free. It would run once a month.

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Would you be interested?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I would certainly be interested considering I live near Swords. However, I don't know how you can make filmmakers a specific number of attendees, as Swords may be a bit out of the way for many on a weeknight. If it finishes up at midnight that pretty much means people won't be able to avail of public transport.
    All that said, there is merit to the idea as there I haven't heard of anything similar in the area before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Galvasean wrote: »
    I would certainly be interested considering I live near Swords. However, I don't know how you can make filmmakers a specific number of attendees, as Swords may be a bit out of the way for many on a weeknight. If it finishes up at midnight that pretty much means people won't be able to avail of public transport.
    All that said, there is merit to the idea as there I haven't heard of anything similar in the area before.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

It would be easy enough to start and finish slightly earlier to allow people to get the last bus home. Alternatively, I am looking into having it either as a weekend night with music afterwards or possibly even organising a minibus to bring those from further away, back to the city centre.

I'd have no way of 'making' filmmakers bring people. I'd ask those submitting a film to be shown to bring at least five people. If they disagreed I would have to choose to not show their film. This is because I would be paying the rent of the room by guaranteeing a certain number of attendees to the owners. If a filmmaker said yes and turned up with no one, I would not be able to run the night again. Really this would be a night for the film community as much as it would for me. I'd be depending on people's word, otherwise I would be out of pocket for the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd have no way of 'making' filmmakers bring people. I'd ask those submitting a film to be shown to bring at least five people. If they disagreed I would have to choose to not show their film. This is because I would be paying the rent of the room by guaranteeing a certain number of attendees to the owners. If a filmmaker said yes and turned up with no one, I would not be able to run the night again. Really this would be a night for the film community as much as it would for me. I'd be depending on people's word, otherwise I would be out of pocket for the room.

I understand and appreciate where you are coming from. However, speaking as someone who works on films and encourages friends to come to screenings it can be tricky. It has happened to me a few times where I'd have a few people say they were coming, but then they didn't. In such a scenario I'd be unintentionally letting you and subsequently the night down.
    That said though, the indie scene is quite closely knit so once word gets out you might well get a stable recurring fan base. A lot of filmmakers operate on a sort of "you come see my film and I'll come see yours the next time" basis.

The Underground Cinema do a lot of screenings (in Dun Laoire mostly) and usually get a very good turnout. It might be worth mailing them and asking for a few tips.

Advertisement