Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Ballyphehane

Options
  • 13-08-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

Gonna be renting in Cork in the next few weeks and I've found a house in Ballyphehane, just looking for some feedback on the area?

I woyldnt know Cork very well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

It's a nice place, I've lived there before and never had any hassle. There can be small gangs of youths hanging around the shopping square area, but otherwise it's perfectly safe and within a brisk walking distance to town. No.3 bus only takes 10 minutes to town, but the timetable could be better. Down by Musgrave Park can be a bit manic on match days if you're driving. There's an Aldi there for your weekly shop as well.

I'd recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

What part of Ballyphehane?

Have lived there all my life, and have no complaints.

It's ten minutes from nearly anywhere, close to everything you need, has a couple of chippers, the number 3 bus to town (although you'd walk there in 15 minutes) and the 19 to cit or douglas/mahon, theres an aldi, a lidl nearby in togher, a supervalu by the lough, a lovely church, an airport....

all the pubs are sh!tholes though - the manhattan, quirkies, the harp...

I really like the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Yup,,as agreed with the above posters.

Crackin area...I was born and raised there....Sad to say,I don't live there anymore.

Other than that square,by the pub,,which is far from the worst...it is a great area to live in.

And only a stones throw from The Lough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I live in Ballyphehane too. I love it, and would never live anywhere else. It has everything you could think of, a lovely park, a few supermarkets, a pay as you go gym, a credit union, its really close to the Lough which is lovely for walking and as PP said its only 10 minutes from everything.

There are usually kids hanging around by Centra and the Community Centre but its nothing serious and they're usually out of the way by 9pm.

I agree that the pubs are rubbish though and I'd also avoid them :P

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Where's the PAYG Gym?

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Where's the PAYG Gym?

In the community centre, across from the Gaelscoil and Centra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Cheers WhiteRoses. I didn't realise that was there. I've been debating joining a gym because I move out of here soon (near The Lough) and that'll be perfect for the next few weeks. What's the equipment, changing rooms and stuff like?

the hawthorn is probably the nicest pub in the general area, but it isn't the trendiest of places :D

the hawthorn is probably the nicest pub in the general area, but it isn't the trendiest of places :D

Nah,,it's mostly for the oldies I think...

Maybe the best bar in the area would be the Tory Top?

Just down passed Musgrave Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Thanks for all the positive replies! paid a deposit on a house today, right opposite the park there, by the playground.

great house for the price

• Advertisement

congrats! you wont regret it, it really is a great area to live and where you are is about a 7 minute walk to the city centre!

It's a nice place, I've lived there before and never had any hassle. There can be small gangs of youths hanging around the shopping square area, but otherwise it's perfectly safe and within a brisk walking distance to town. No.3 bus only takes 10 minutes to town, but the timetable could be better. Down by Musgrave Park can be a bit manic on match days if you're driving. There's an Aldi there for your weekly shop as well.

I'd recommend it

Excellent, what about the playground and concrete soccer pitch area and skate park? does this attract much late night anti social behavior?! this was one of my concerns, that and the bedroom looks out on the cemetery! I use the Aldi anyway from living not too far away(its the closest Aldi)
    WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I live in Ballyphehane too. I love it, and would never live anywhere else. It has everything you could think of, a lovely park, a few supermarkets, a pay as you go gym, a credit union, its really close to the Lough which is lovely for walking and as PP said its only 10 minutes from everything.

There are usually kids hanging around by Centra and the Community Centre but its nothing serious and they're usually out of the way by 9pm.

I agree that the pubs are rubbish though and I'd also avoid them :P

Good luck!

Do you know what kind of equipment the gym has? looking for a free weight section more than anything really, for the yearly price of most gyms in the city I could build one 2nd hand.

Was there a stabbing not so long ago outside this? or was that the Manhattan?

Thanks for all the positive replies! paid a deposit on a house today, right opposite the park there, by the playground.

great house for the price

Congrats on the new house, my nana lives on that road :)
    Cheers WhiteRoses. I didn't realise that was there. I've been debating joining a gym because I move out of here soon (near The Lough) and that'll be perfect for the next few weeks. What's the equipment, changing rooms and stuff like?

I've never used it personally but my sister loves it and uses it all the time, she said its great. A lot of the people that use it are serious about the gym, a lot of bodybuilders use it so it isn't full of people messing around.

I've only gone to the spinning classes and I thought they were really good!

Excellent, what about the playground and concrete soccer pitch area and skate park? does this attract much late night anti social behavior?! this was one of my concerns, that and the bedroom looks out on the cemetery! I use the Aldi anyway from living not too far away(its the closest Aldi)

No not really, there'll be kids/young teenagers around till about 9ish during holidays but never after. I've never seen any trouble there personally and I'm in the area every day. They tend to hang around by Centra more than by the playground. The cemetery probably attracts more trouble than the park!
    Was there a stabbing not so long ago outside this? or was that the Manhattan?

That was the Manhatten :P Pretty sure its closed down now though :)

The manhattan is a good bit away from where you are as well, so no worries :)

Just heard, I'll be moving back into the area next month again. looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Do not drink in Quirkies bar, it's full of drug dealers, drink in Togher or Turners Cross. The area though is really nice, very quiet area, no hassle and it's in the Southside so you should have no problems.

The Manhatten is still open..

As for the p.a.y.g. gym....To be honest,,I think it's expensive.

I was going to join it with My Wife,,but We discovered that Lesuireworld is much cheaper.

Nice one lads, looking forward to the move now anyway, i'll update as how it goes.

yenom wrote: »
    Do not drink in Quirkies bar, it's full of drug dealers................

Bit of an exaggeration to be fair.

RoverJames wrote: »

Any opinions on Ballyphehane James?

• Advertisement

I live in The Lough which is a neighboring parish as you probably know, less than a stones throw away. Many friends of mine live in Ballyphehane, I think it's a great spot. If I had seen this thread a few days ago the only comment I would have made is that as nice as it is you should suss out who your future neighbours will be prior to renting any house, but from the description of where you have rented you're grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

RoverJames wrote: »
    No, it's not, when yer man that got killed in the Manhattan had his funeral, they all went off to Quirkies. That place every night of the week is full of drug dealers.

I'm not going to discuss such things here. You're right about the post funeral drinks, your other comments are gross exagerations. So too what you're suggesting about the all folks who were at Quirkies that day after the funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Grew up near the area, drank in all the pubs many a time and never saw trouble. The Tory Top is a grand spot as are pubs in turners cross all walking / stumbling distance. Id have no problem living in the hane grand spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Have a friend who lives there. Seems like a grand place, only thing is they've been broken into a few times, so just keep things secure, but that's common sense in any city really I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Lots of break ins in the ballyphehane/ glasheen area recently. 12 in one day of that I know of on a Sunday afternoon including my uncle's where the assholes decided to relieve themselves in the bedroom for the hell of it and ruin the place.

Still a grand area in general. Just be aware.

Ludo wrote: »
    Lots of break ins in the ballyphehane/ glasheen area recently. 12 in one day of that I know of on a Sunday afternoon including my uncle's where the assholes decided to relieve themselves in the bedroom for the hell of it and ruin the place.

Still a grand area in general. Just be aware.

Jesus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That is not meant to put you off the area or anything. This can happen anywhere. I'm from turners cross next to ballyphehane and think it is a fine area.

Hey lads,

I'm looking for some recommendations of refuse collection, who are you with? are they reasonably priced, how do they operate? etc etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Hey lads,

I'm looking for some recommendations of refuse collection, who are you with? are they reasonably priced, how do they operate? etc etc!

If you're living on your own or have low usage, O'Donoghue Waste (021 4544004) have a pay as you go system, €5 recycling, €10 refuse.
    You will need to provide your own wheelie bins.

Advertisement