Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icing on cupcakes

Options
  • 13-08-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

I bake cupcakes all the time, and usually ice them with glace/buttercream icing or ganache...

Any cupcakes I've ever bought from a deli or market stall, have this moussey creamy light icing. It's not too sweet and is thick enough for it to be iced in a big swirl of deliciousness on top of the cupcake.... It's not like any buttercream I've ever tasted... What is this yummy creation, and how do I recreate it?

67.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The longer you whip buttercream, the lighter and fluffier it becomes. Perhaps it's just that. On the other hand, they could be using a Swiss or Italian buttercream, which would be lighter but slightly more complicated and time-consuming to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

As Faith said, I now use Swiss meringue any time not using fresh cream, once I got the hang of it, ( and it took a few goes ) its great, so light, and you can flavour it with anything, and no bother with it sitting in the fridge for few days, so you can make it well in advance,
    not tried the Italian one yet, must give it a go soon, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Thanks! I'll report back when I've tried out the Swiss meringue. Is it essential to use a sugar thermometer for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Its handy to have one, when I first started making it I just tested it by rubbing it between my fingers, and when I could on longer feel any sugar,( the sugar needs to dissolved fully ) I went on to whip it,
    you'd pick up a sugar thermometer cheap enough if you think you'd like to try one.
    best of luck with it,
    let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Cream cheese icing like on carrot cake perhaps?

Philadelphia icing is my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

This recipe for cream cheese icing (used on red velvet cupcakes in this case) is pretty good. I've tried and tested a few times so it's straightforward enough and goes down well with the cupcake monsters. It goes with most cupcake flavours and really transforms the cupcake into something special. Its far nicer than buttercream imo!

Be careful not to over mix the icing, it goes too runny and you can't bring it back without starting from scratch.

Anyway it's so good you'll have to stop yourself from eating it out of the bowl! Enjoy!

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/475341/Red-velvet-cupcakes

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Thanks! It's the Swiss Buttercream. I tried it, and it turned out great.

I always use cream cheese icing for red velvet and carrot cakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Whats up Cupcake?

The icing would be cream cheese icing.
    That's what thet do in America. It's still not as nice as buttercream icing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Is it just me or are there overly detailed instructions on that recipe? Perhaps some folk prefer every tiny detail but to be honest when they say:

"Put the butter and the sugar in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy and well mixed."

would it not be just as clear to say:

"Beat the butter & sugar until light & fluffy"

Leaving it up to each baker to use whatever they have, either electric or manual tools.

Advertisement