Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International football this week

• 13-08-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

anyone else find it strange, if not irritating, to have international football this week - even before the EPL kicks off - give the players at least 4 weeks of club football, before switching focus to international football - or is just Mr. Blatter trying to stamp his authority -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Same every year, utter fvckwittery. Either the week before or during the first week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

mike65 wrote: »
    Same every year, utter fvckwittery. Either the week before or during the first week.

has it not just crept in , the past few years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I would mind less if the friendlies were scheduled to then allow players 3 days rest. But they aren't. Mindboggling decision tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

One of the worst ideas ever if truth be told. Why is there the need for a friendly this time of the year? Absolute ridiculous, especially with some players flying 10 hours away to play a meaningless friendly game. I'm sure an injury or two will be picked up in these friendlies causing uproar.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

what I don't understand is how the major clubs agreed to such bull**** planning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

IMO all friendlies should be scrapped but these ones in particular are absolutely disgraceful, as are the qualification matches in June. Thankfully the clubs stood up and they are getting rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

thebaz wrote: »
    anyone else find it strange, if not irritating, to have international football this week - even before the EPL kicks off - give the players at least 4 weeks of club football, before switching focus to international football - or is just Mr. Blatter trying to stamp his authority -

Friendly slots have been reduced to just two a year so if anything its Blatter/FIFA/International Friendlys being undermined (none of which is necessarily a bad thing obviously).

The 4 week run in you refer to is actually there, except it'll be the competitive qualifiers for the WC (Sep 7/8 and 11/12)

So if you scrap this particular set of friendly fixtures, you are effectively saying that the 16 teams who took part in Euro2012 go into the WC qualifiers without any friendly match at all. Which obviously some people would approve of, but I don't think it would be a good move myself.

The 4 week run in you refer to is actually there, except it'll be the competitive qualifiers for the WC (Sep 7/8 and 11/12)

no its not - if there was 4 week club run in, we would not be breaking for international football until mid September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

no its not - if there was 4 week club run in, we would not be breaking for international football until mid September

Yes, which would be straight into WC qualifiers. The leagues start and after roughly 4 weeks there will be an international break.

The key issue is whether you feel it's correct for teams (many who've had 5 or 6 retirements) to go straight into World Cup qualifiers without a friendly match. Personally I don't think that would be fair at all and see no other slot for the game other than midAugust, but I realise that I'm in the minority on this and won't change anyones mind on the issue.

• Advertisement

The key issue is whether you feel it's correct for teams (many who've had 5 or 6 retirements) to go straight into World Cup qualifiers without a friendly match. Personally I don't think that would be fair at all and see no other slot for the game other than midAugust,

i realise a friendly match would be necesary- personally I'd reduce the amount of qualifiers played , since the breakup of the Eastern bloc, ther are far too many qualifiers played - a blatter / platini pact to put manners on the clubs ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

****ing ridiculous and pointless especially with the euros and Olympics during the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

has it not just crept in , the past few years ?

The August friendly thing is only around a decade old. I certainly remember when I started watching Ireland the tradition was : friendly in September then one qualifier in October and one in November.

I really hate the qualifying process these days. All this doubling up of games and then play-offs after all of it. A major drawback on the double-date fixtures is they usually try to make it "one tough game & one weak game" and as a result you get the impression that teams aren't even trying during the easier game. So much boring football.

I'd love to go back to the days when it was just 6-8 games that actually felt like they meant something and at the end you either qualified or you didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's an utter shambles that friendlies are on this week just days before the main European leagues start back.

I understand that WC qualifiers are just around the corner but surely this friendly could have easily been played the weekend just gone.

I am liking the prospect of Germany V Argentina on Wednesday night having said that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Doesn't make sense.

Top players could get injured and managers won't / should not release them. They are to valuable to the teams.

it just seams to be a flood of withdrawals -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19247933

absolute joke

with the EPL yet to start, after what seam an eternity, am I right in thinking that after just one game , the players yet again will be off on International duty - I stand to be corrected , but if I am right , who organises such dreadful planning - surely what everyone needs and wants is a good run of club form ,before any international sabbaticals , who benefits from such ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

with the EPL yet to start, after what seam an eternity, am I right in thinking that after just one game , the players yet again will be off on International duty - I stand to be corrected , but if I am right , who organises such dreadful planning - surely what everyone needs and wants is a good run of club form ,before any international sabbaticals , who benefits from such ?

Theres international friendlies before the start of the season, dont think its after the season starts anyway, Chelsea will probably lose 3 to the Spanish squad going to bloody Ecuador or Coloumbia, then we have the WCQ in the first week of September to contend with as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So is there internationals this week or not?

/zombie thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not until the 13th or 14th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Not until the 13th or 14th.

With 1 WC Qualifying game in the mix. Nothern Ireland V Russia as 1st game was unplayable with waterlogged pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Plenty of leagues in Europe run through the summer. The world doesn't revolve around the English top flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Plenty of leagues in Europe run through the summer. The world doesn't revolve around the English top flight.
    They are the exception rather than the norm. Summer is generally known as out of season, hence the transfer window opening and closing dates.

Let me guess... LOI fan???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

They are the exception rather than the norm. Summer is generally known as out of season, hence the transfer window opening and closing dates.

Holland, Belgium, Scotland, France and Germany will have started by then. Italy doesn't start until the 24th.

It's really only the English league that starts the saturday after the internationals.

LoI fan yes, but what has that got to with the point I made.

The English league sets its starting date knowing when the internationals are scheduled, so that's their fault.

Over 20% of UEFA's members' leagues play through the summer, but oh no, some Little Englanders have a problem. :rolleyes:

Benimar wrote: »
    Holland, Belgium, Scotland, France and Germany will have started by then. Italy doesn't start until the 24th.

It's really only the English league that starts the saturday after the internationals.
    And I'd say they're just as pissed off with the international schedule as anybody else.

LoI fan yes, but what has that got to with the point I made.

The English league sets its starting date knowing when the internationals are scheduled, so that's their fault.

Over 20% of UEFA's members' leagues play through the summer, but oh no, some Little Englanders have a problem. :rolleyes:
    That's nearly 80% that don't. As I said, exception rather than the norm.

how many internationals play for these summer league teams - the reality is most top internationals play for the 5 top leagues in europe, none who play through summer - unless I'm wrong

That's nearly 80% that don't. As I said, exception rather than the norm.

And if you'd bother to read the thread, some leagues like in Italy won't start til after the internationals.

And some leagues started last month.

Yet the world is meant to stop because the English league decides to do something different. :rolleyes:

how many internationals play for these summer league teams - the reality is most top internationals play for the 5 top leagues in europe, none who play through summer - unless I'm wrong

Most of the internationals play in the top 5 leagues? Maybe most of the internationals you've heard of, play in the top five leagues, but there's a world of football outside the one with the pop star girlfriends and oligarch owners.

And has been pointed out the Serie A doesn't start til after the internationals, so I'm not sure what your point is. :confused:

• Advertisement

Most of the internationals play in the top 5 leagues? Maybe most of the internationals you've heard of, play in the top five leagues, but there's a world of football outside the one with the pop star girlfriends and oligarch owners.

And has been pointed out the Serie A doesn't start til after the internationals, so I'm not sure what your point is. :confused:

you were the one saying plenty of leagues play through the summer - when I pointed out the top 5 leagues don't - you have a pop at the EPL - no other leagues have oligarch owners? - think ther is more in France now - the pop star girlfriends I wont get into now

you were the one saying plenty of leagues play through the summer - when I pointed out the top 5 leagues don't - you have a pop at the EPL - no other leagues have oligarch owners? - think ther is more in France now - the pop star girlfriends I wont get into now

So what if the top five leagues don't play through the summer? I never said they did. :rolleyes:

The international date was set before the English league set their fixtures, therefore the reason why the English league breaks after just one round of fixtures is the fault of the English league.

Is that too difficult to understand? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I think, I'm gonna watch England vs Scotland...because I like the Scottish anthem ;)

Advertisement