Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for wife's 40th

Options
  • 13-08-2012 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife's 40th is coming up (in January) but I'm lost as to what to do or get her.

First off, she doesn't want a party. We have a 4 year old daughter so we're kind of limited in the trips away i.e. we can't go too far. We have someone who'll babysit for 2 to 3 days.

So here are the things she likes fashion - clothes, shoes bags etc, perfume, nice restaurants, hotels. She's not into gadgets so iPAds, cameras, laptops are out.

I'm really struggling, I want to get her something special, treat her to a nice weekend.

Budget is about €1000 for a present, weekend away.

Any ideas at all, I need help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Why dont you do the whole spa weekend trip away then..I know any woman would love that..You could either go together or send herself and a friend.. Man i cannot remember the name now of the popular one you can do like a few things like horsriding and walking there too. thought twas Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Thanks Milly,

I was racking my brain of where to go that would be good for shopping and then I thought of Belfast.

This is the hotel I was thinking of and will look into a treatment at a Spa as well now. I'm hoping there'll be a few shows on and I'll buy tickets for that as well, with dinner in a nice restaurant. I'm going to try and book a suite (pricey but she deserves it). For the daytime, she'll be happy checking out the shops...still I'd like to get her a gift as well

http://www.fitzwilliamhotelbelfast.com/

Probably will stay for 2 or 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah twas Delphi I was thinking off http://www.delphimountainresort.com/spa.24.html

Your plan sounds great though see ye men dont need any help..

Hotel looks loverly. If ye are staying a few days, you should try something like having the shopping day one day. You could ask the hotel also if there was anything like a Personal Shopper who would be able to help your wife if she doesnt know Belfast which shops to go to and then either that evening let her head down to be pampered after a hard days shopping (even though i dont really do it) but i imgine all the walking would be harse, a pampering would be nice. I see the hotel doesnt have a spa but perhaps they could advise on one.

Then you have you opera for the next night..something new/nice to wear, something nice to eat, and a show.. You could ask the hotel also if there was anything like a Personal Shopper who would be able to help your wife if she doesnt know Belfast which shops to go to.

Could also put a bit of fun into by having a menu of events or day plan made out for her so she knows what she is up too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

boobar wrote: »
    Thanks Milly,

I was racking my brain of where to go that would be good for shopping and then I thought of Belfast.

This is the hotel I was thinking of and will look into a treatment at a Spa as well now. I'm hoping there'll be a few shows on and I'll buy tickets for that as well, with dinner in a nice restaurant. I'm going to try and book a suite (pricey but she deserves it). For the daytime, she'll be happy checking out the shops...still I'd like to get her a gift as well

http://www.fitzwilliamhotelbelfast.com/

Probably will stay for 2 or 3 days.

I stayed there for a night over Christmas about two years ago - its really lovely. The rooms are gorgeus and we ate in the restaurant - great food. It has a good bar with a cocktail menu and its within walking distance of Victoria Square (new shopping centre) and the other city centre shops. You could also walk to other bars/restaurants and if you want to go further, taxi's are readily available - get a belfast black cab - gas craic! For a present get her a really good handbag or a piece of jewellery - a keepsake.

My fortieth is only a couple of years away but if hubbie presented me with this for a present I'd be delighted!

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ah twas Delphi I was thinking off http://www.delphimountainresort.com/spa.24.html

Hotel looks loverly. If ye are staying a few days, you should try something like having the shopping day one day. You could ask the hotel also if there was anything like a Personal Shopper who would be able to help your wife if she doesnt know Belfast which shops to go to and then either that evening let her head down to be pampered after a hard days shopping (even though i dont really do it) but i imgine all the walking would be harse, a pampering would be nice. I see the hotel doesnt have a spa but perhaps they could advise on one.

Then you have you opera for the next night..something new/nice to wear, something nice to eat, and a show.. You could ask the hotel also if there was anything like a Personal Shopper who would be able to help your wife if she doesnt know Belfast which shops to go to.

Could also put a bit of fun into by having a menu of events or day plan made out for her so she knows what she is up too...

The personal Shopper thing sounds like a great idea Millie, fair play to you. I'm hoping that in the next few months there might be shows or concerts announced, she's more of a Dancing on Ice girl rather than opera, took to her an opera in Prague years ago and it nearly put years on her! I like the idea of the spa after the shopping, that's a great plan.

Thanks a million.

• Advertisement

I stayed there for a night over Christmas about two years ago - its really lovely. The rooms are gorgeus and we ate in the restaurant - great food. It has a good bar with a cocktail menu and its within walking distance of Victoria Square (new shopping centre) and the other city centre shops. You could also walk to other bars/restaurants and if you want to go further, taxi's are readily available - get a belfast black cab - gas craic! For a present get her a really good handbag or a piece of jewellery - a keepsake.

My fortieth is only a couple of years ago but if hubbie presented me with this for a present I'd be delighted!

Thanks Westies4ever, it's great to hear from someone who actually stayed there. Just looked up the black cab tour and am going to book that. It's the keepsake idea that I wanted, going to splash on a nice handbag for her, that's exactly what she's into.

Cheers Westie and Millie, I feel much better now that I have a plan in place.

Milly33 wrote: »

Thought about your suggestion about the spa and came up with this hotel (has a spa there)...so after she has the feet walked off her in the shops she can come back to a spa session in the hotel...

http://www.themerchanthotel.com/

Great idea...it's starting to come together....better start saving up now!

Advertisement