Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap IBT training in Cork

• 14-08-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Where's the cheapest IBT training centre in the cork area? I'm in the city, but I would be willing to travel a bit for cheaper training. I do it on my own bike if it was cheaper also, but i'd probably have to leave the bike at the centre between sessions as i'm not insured on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Where's the cheapest IBT training centre in the cork area? I'm in the city, but I would be willing to travel a bit for cheaper training. I do it on my own bike if it was cheaper also, but i'd probably have to leave the bike at the centre between sessions as i'm not insured on it.

Not 100% on this but I think you have to be insured to undertake IBT on your own bike especially if your out on a public road. Best bet would be to use instructors bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Not 100% on this but I think you have to be insured to undertake IBT on your own bike especially if your out on a public road. Best bet would be to use instructors bike.

Yeah but AON won't insure me until I have the IBT done, I asked them. so I guess I'll have to use a centre bike. I don't mind like, just thinking about costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

I used eddie and dave o shea in Blarney, was grand, got it done in a sunday and a monday evening and the 35% off insurance is dead handy. I'm 21 and on a restricted 600 so the way i look at it is that with the 35% off insurance, IBT pretty much pays for itself after 3 years of premiums with the discount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I you're willing to travel a bit then RoadSkill in Waterford is excellent. I literally just finished my IBT yesterday and I have to say Richard is a fantastic instructor. They'll also get you a hostel for 15 euro a night in Tramore.

In fact, I'll do a bit of a full review of why I liked doing mine with Richard.

I chose them because of a professional looking website and extremely cheap price. €350. I will confirm right now that all pictures of the compound and training rooms are genuine, the place is immaculate but I'll go further into that in a sec.

Price

At 350 (2 people doing it) It's an amazing price, I doubt you will find that price anywhere else. That is on his bikes/equipment for nothing extra, the only thing he doesn't supply is boots, which is fair enough given how many sizes he would need. If you don't have boots get them, you'll pick up a pair in Ross Motorcycles for 99 euro.

Training rooms

The training rooms are perfectly kept, I couldn't find a scratch on the tables and he has a very nice set up (he could go through a class with 20 people in the room (not IBT for RSA reasons, but his training rooms are set up to deal with a good number of people.) He keeps everything neat and professional in the office. His slide show is excellent and the whole time emphasizes safety above all else. If I had taken nothing away from the training session I would still have remembered All the Gear all the time. He will show some images that might disturb you, but they'll make you think twice about not wearing the equiptment. I'd say theoretically you could just read the slide show and learn it, but Richard does actually make an effort to make you understand what it says rather than just saying what's on the screen. He is asking do you have any questions after every thing he does because more than anything he seems to want to make sure you stay safe.

Compound

I've heard of lads doing the IBT in a coned off compound, that is NOT what you are getting when you go to Roadskill, I can guarantee that. It's a large compound, it has cones already laid out so there is no messing around, it is Richards own compound, noone else has use of it in the industrial park and you're not gonna have fork lifts going across your path. There is a 16ft (estimated) fence around the entire compound and concrete slabs around 3 feet high under most of the fencing except for the gate. There are 2 containers at one end, for bikes and gear though he may be changing that layout soon to something that sounds even better.

Bikes
    He has 2 honda 125's, 1 Honda CBF250, a Kawasaki 650 (factory restricted) (can't remember exact model and his own Triumph 800. They are all in really good condition, clean and well oiled, the only one that you would know is used by students by riding it is the 250 which is very hard to find neutral in after a couple of falls, but the rest are in perfect condition and they are all in 07, except for Richards own Triumph, which is a beast of a bike, it's absolutely gorgeous. The 125 will turn on a dime and is fantastic to start doing the basic maneuvers on before moving up to the 250. For us he took out the 125 and the 250 in the compound to get a feel for the basics then the next day the 250 and 650.

Training
    After going through the POWER check so you know what it is, the first thing you will do is learn to take a bike on and off the stand. Laugh all you like, but once you get to taking his Triumph on and off the centre stand you will see how hard it can actually be without the right movement.
    Me and the other guy I did the training with both had some experience (he had vastly more than me) but we both had the basics down, so after correcting some mistakes I was making Richard moved us on quickly, to maneuvers that I had never had the space to try at home, I was suprised by how easy it was to do a figure of 8 once you got the knack for looking where you are going.

Road Training
    After going through the industrial park as I had never been on marked roads before, Richard took us out onto the main roads, which was very daunting for me, but with his voice in your ear it becomes far easier. He seemed to know what I was doing wrong before I even knew I did something wrong and he always knew exactly what it was. We rode on every type of road except motorway the whole way from the Airport Business Park out to Dunmanaway, the Gold Coast road to Tramore then out to Waterford, It's a good 140 km of riding and you will feel it. Literally you will ride as slow as 5 km/h with your feet up and as fast as 100km/h with the wind blasting into you.

Overall Assessment
    With great facilities, great bikes and a great attitude for training, I can't recommend doing the training with Richard enough, he is very very good at what he does and will do it whenever to accomodate you. The Hostel in Tramore is nice too, if you were to stay down there, very quiet which is good for sleep, it's not a party hostel by any manner of means. Even if he were to up his price to 500 a man I'd still recommend Richard, he is a great person to deal with a very friendly. (He saved me over 40 euro on taxi's actually :) ) Go there and I promise you won't regret it, he doen't try to teach you everything at once or how to ride like an advanced rider, he teaches you how to ride the bike safely and to a standard that would open you up to keep correct practice and with no bad habits.

If you do go for him, get used to being asked where your right leg is though :pac:

Anyway that's my bit, I know there will be a few that say I am a shill, but I'm just an extremely happy customer. :) I've at least one buddy doing the IBT in the next few weeks and I'm gonna make him go to Richard if I can.

I used eddie and dave o shea in Blarney, was grand, got it done in a sunday and a monday evening and the 35% off insurance is dead handy. I'm 21 and on a restricted 600 so the way i look at it is that with the 35% off insurance, IBT pretty much pays for itself after 3 years of premiums with the discount!

35% off? Huh? How would you get that much off? Is that not how much a Level 1 rider gets off?

Not entirely sure, i got a grade 2 from doing the IBT. In module four when you're out on the road he did an assessment too, and a cert entitling you to 35% off insurance with quinn (liberty now) or Aon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not entirely sure, i got a grade 2 from doing the IBT. In module four when you're out on the road he did an assessment too, and a cert entitling you to 35% off insurance with quinn (liberty now) or Aon.

Was this one of your first times riding? A Grade 2 is for a very advanced rider. (By Comparison a grade 3 is someone who will pass their full licence test).

Not my first time riding but was doing my IBT after my original licence expiring when i was getting my car licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A grade 2 after 2 days training? must be some trainer:confused:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigDog101

Any recent reports on cheap IBT Training in Cork, planning to do it in the next month or two.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I've no idea of his prices - but I know of one recommendation for Declan O'Donovan at Two Wheel Training

• Advertisement

Yeh I haven't gotten in touch with anyone yet, just got some prices off the web, one in Waterford is 650, Millstreet in Cork is 580, ISM is 595, a place up in kildare for 585 etc etc. TwoWheels would be the handiest for me if the price is reasonable, suppose I'll give him a call once I get the permit.

If anyone has any recent prices in the meantime, please let me know.

Also if anyone wants to do it soon let me know, might pair up to save €'s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Hi bigdog, im also looking to do an IBT soon in the vacinity of cork city, going in for my theory test this saturday and then hoping to do a fair priced IBT soon after, so if its cheaper for the both of us, then count me in.

Hi bigdog, im also looking to do an IBT soon in the vacinity of cork city, going in for my theory test this saturday and then hoping to do a fair priced IBT soon after, so if its cheaper for the both of us, then count me in.

No worries mate, I'm doing my theory test on tuesday, I have a couple of people interested in doing it at the moment, gonna make some calls next week and then see how many people the instructor can take and see what sorta deal I can get, I'll be in touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Just booked mine with Naas driving academy. 400 if you bring a friend, 450 if you dont. Thats Modules 1,3 & 5

BigDog101 wrote: »
    No worries mate, I'm doing my theory test on tuesday, I have a couple of people interested in doing it at the moment, gonna make some calls next week and then see how many people the instructor can take and see what sorta deal I can get, I'll be in touch

woohoo, passed my theory, next stop motor tax office to send away for the learner permit, just one question lads, ive been driving for the last 7 odd years, must i get another eyesight report or whats the craic there?
    cheers again bigdog, and good luck on tuesday.

I'm still looking for someone to do IBT with to split costs, never got round to it before, so if anyone's interested in doing it in cork let me, maybe in the next few weeks.

I'm still looking for someone to do IBT with to split costs, never got round to it before, so if anyone's interested in doing it in cork let me, maybe in the next few weeks.

Same as myself! I got sidetracked and bankrupted by some other stuff I had going on, I'm still interested in doin it, soon if the price is right, if not it'll be another month or two of saving. Ive heard good reports about Bikecraft and twowheels but got no quotes on prices.

Same as myself! I got sidetracked and bankrupted by some other stuff I had going on, I'm still interested in doin it, soon if the price is right, if not it'll be another month or two of saving. Ive heard good reports about Bikecraft and twowheels but got no quotes on prices.

Ok, we'll if you want to check those 2, Im checking two wheel training in curaheen park,hopefully will have a reply tomorrow, just sent an email there, is it the modules 1, 3 and 5 for the A license your doing big dog?

Ok, we'll if you want to check those 2, Im checking two wheel training in curaheen park,hopefully will have a reply tomorrow, just sent an email there, is it the modules 1, 3 and 5 for the A license your doing big dog?

Yep two wheel training in curraheen is the one i was referring to, I emailed them a while back, and they replied telling me to call because its quicker to get the details over the phone. I called and he was busy and said he'd call me back but sorta kept missing eachother. Indeed, modules 1, 3 and 5 for me too mate!

Yep two wheel training in curraheen is the one i was referring to, I emailed them a while back, and they replied telling me to call because its quicker to get the details over the phone. I called and he was busy and said he'd call me back but sorta kept missing eachother. Indeed, modules 1, 3 and 5 for me too mate!

Nice one, ill give them a buzz tomorrow and see what the story is, ill get back to you tomorrow with any info I get.

• Advertisement

Nice one, ill give them a buzz tomorrow and see what the story is, ill get back to you tomorrow with any info I get.

Cheers pal, much appreciated.

Cheers pal, much appreciated.

Rang up two wheel training in curaheen park, he said 500 each and recommended splitting it up between 4 days, 2 Saturdays and two Sundays, 4 and a half hours each day. September the 7,8 and the 14 and 15th are available. We might be able to haggle down another 50 I'd say on the day but that's that place anyway.havent checked any other place. He knew his stuff anyway and a lot of boxes for me, seems like a sound fella.

Rang up two wheel training in curaheen park, he said 500 each and recommended splitting it up between 4 days, 2 Saturdays and two Sundays, 4 and a half hours each day. September the 7,8 and the 14 and 15th are available. We might be able to haggle down another 50 I'd say on the day but that's that place anyway.havent checked any other place. He knew his stuff anyway and a lot of boxes for me, seems like a sound fella.

I wouldn't be doing a jig for that price, some places will charge u that to do it on ur own, but I suppose he's highly recommended. I work up in Dublin most weekends, does it suit u better to do it at weekends? Ill give ur man in Bikecraft a buzz in a bit and get a price, a guy i know did it with him a while back

I wouldn't be doing a jig for that price, some places will charge u that to do it on ur own, but I suppose he's highly recommended. I work up in Dublin most weekends, does it suit u better to do it at weekends? Ill give ur man in Bikecraft a buzz in a bit and get a price, a guy i know did it with him a while back[
    Anyday is good for me, grand job.sure let me know when you get on I bike raft.cheers

I wouldn't be doing a jig for that price, some places will charge u that to do it on ur own, but I suppose he's highly recommended. I work up in Dublin most weekends, does it suit u better to do it at weekends? Ill give ur man in Bikecraft a buzz in a bit and get a price, a guy i know did it with him a while back[
    Anyday is good for me, grand job.sure let me know when you get on I bike raft.cheers

I just talked to one of the lads in BikeCraft, they'll do it for 450 each over two days including all gear and bikes, they're booked up until the 2nd of September and are free after that, during the week or weekend. They're in Blarney.

Advertisement