Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting into lecturing

• 14-08-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I have a Business (Marketing degree) and 15 years sales/business experience. I've been doing some parttime work as a trainer for the last four years.
    I have small kids and want to work around them so evening training/lecturing would really suit me.
    I'm really interested in getting into lecturing and there are a good few jobs advertised in the private colleges. The only thing is that you need a masters that I don;t have.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of going back and getting my masters next year and am wondering which one to do and is there any funding support to do a masters?
    Is there anyone lecturing in the private sector in Dublin and do they have any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The only times I've heard of people getting funding for a masters (besides government support) is if it's from a company you've agreed to work for later. Accounting firms or the like. Best bet might be to do it by night/distance while still working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Thanks for the reply Dory-I'm not working at the moment. I should get some part time evening work in Fas for Sept to Nov.
    I need to get some more work and love training/teaching-so I wanted to apply to some of the private colleges (DBS, CMI, IBAT etc) to teach business-however they are all requiring a masters at a minimum so I'm thinking of taking next year out to get my masters and then hopefully get into lecturing next Sept.
    What I really want to know that if I invest in doing that-whats the best masters to do or is there a difference and is there anything else that I can do to enhance my ability to get work lecturing next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Check the websites of the Institues of Technology - between now and September they start assembling panels for evening courses. Plus, you generally don't need a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Lyn256 wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm thinking of going back and getting my masters next year and am wondering which one to do and is there any funding support to do a masters?
    Is there anyone lecturing in the private sector in Dublin and do they have any advice?

Google for Skills Conversion postgraduate courses. The govt was subsidising them last year anyway. One of those masters might be up your alley, and also give you an idea of the areas which the govt believes are nb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Many thanks for the replies.

@Seanchai-I've taken a look at those courses and they are very IT/Eng orientated and I've no background or interest in these areas-thanks for the suggestion!

@Tom Dunne-I've gone onto DIT.ie and have a form to send in to apply for part time assistant lecturing hours in Aungier St-don;t see any opportunities on either IT Blanch website or IT Tallaght
    I'm interested in a business Masters and I want it to lead to opportunites in lecturing at undergraduate level to business students.

I'm not sure if I should look at an MBA or MA or MSc-I don't want to masters to further a corporate career - I want it so that I can lecture .

The reason that I'm interested is that there seem to be opportunities for evening lecturing in a number of private colleges and with my husband working during the day-I could work at night without having to pay childcare and having worked as a trainer for the last four years-I've finally found work that i really enjoy!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Lyn256 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I should look at an MBA or MA or MSc-I don't want to masters to further a corporate career - I want it so that I can lecture .

The reason that I'm interested is that there seem to be opportunities for evening lecturing in a number of private colleges and with my husband working during the day-I could work at night without having to pay childcare and having worked as a trainer for the last four years-I've finally found work that i really enjoy!! :D

I'm in exactly the same boat. I lecture in a private college in Dublin in the evenings. I've 2 young children & it works perfectly for my husband and I. Best of both worlds. I have a masters in investment & treasury from Dcu. I teach (and have taught) a range of different subjects across international business diploma and the regular business diploma.

What masters you do doesn't really matter once you have one in your interested subject area. You should choose the one which interests you the most. I worked in finance for years and did my MSc with a plan to further my career - not to teach. I'm actually a second level teacher but a) the cost of childcare is unbelievably prohibitive b) I would rather be at home with my children for the next few years and c) there are very very few jobs out there for my subjects (business economics & accounting) and so lecturing at night is perfect for the moment. The money is good too but different colleges do different things money wise - I get a very high hourly wage but nothing for prep and setting & marking exams etc.

Good luck!

Advertisement