Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from a forum

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering why, if you're banned from a forum, you're not allowed view that forum at all?

Naturally enough, you can't post in it, but I can't see you shouldn't at least be allowed read through it.

I know you can log out and view but that's not my query.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Im just wondering why, if you're banned from a forum, you're not allowed view that forum at all?

Naturally enough, you can't post in it, but I can't see you shouldn't at least be allowed read through it.

I know you can log out and view but that's not my query.

Obvious answer: it wouldn't be as decent a deterrent otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I dunno if they can just ban you from posting but in either case it's basically: you messed up too much, you don't deserve any access.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Real obvious answer: That's how the vbulletin software has always done it, so it's not like they can choose to just make it read only with a ban, and even with all the changes made for boards that bit hasn't obviously been pegged as a feature that they wish to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You can't visit a pub and just not drink if you've been banned/barred from it. A ban is a ban, not a gagging order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You can't visit a pub and just not drink if you've been banned/barred from it. A ban is a ban, not a gagging order :)

:D I knew somebody would use that exact example! This is a totally different context though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

:D I knew somebody would use that exact example! This is a totally different context though.

Okay well how about this: it's like being banned from a comedy club that serves beer because you were drunk and rude.

They could let you in and enjoy the comedy but not let you drink (post) but instead they say "no, feck off, we dislike you" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes it is possible to set it up so that a ban only stops someone from posting in a forum, but it's technically different (and was a lot more difficult to arrange in the early boards days) so bans have always been a complete lock out.

Plus, a ban is a ban. Why should someone be allowed in to read the forum when they're banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

just dont log in and you can view away to your to hearts content

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

seamus wrote: »
    Plus, a ban is a ban. Why should someone be allowed in to read the forum when they're banned?

While I agree with the sentiment, that would only make sense if the forum in question was private otherwise. Most on Boards are not though.

If simply logging out can get you access to view a forum, it seems pointless to have this in place. Though then you must ask, why put the extra work into changing the current set-up, when the people who will benefit from it, are those who get banned?

Advertisement