Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell off us?

Options
  • 14-08-2012 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Whinge whinge.

(That's a summary of what is to come... If you don't like that kind of post, don't read on!)

Ok, so here's the thing...

Wexford has Argos extra.
    *Clonmel* (ffs) has Iceland.
    And today I was up in Kilkenny, and discovered this...

...deadly shopping centre that pretty much kicks City Square's butt!

Is there a smell of us here in Waterford or what?! lol
    Historically, we're one of Ireland's 5 main urban centre's. I wonder where we stand in the pecking order today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Is having an Argos Extra and an Iceland that much a badge of honour?

I heard a councillor in waterford on Matt Cooper a while ago. I forget the topic but he was saying that they deliberately resisted building shopping centres on the town outskirts, in favour of trying to develop the town centre and encourage business there. There are pros and cons either approach, at least you can say his heart is in the right place. It would have been easy to let developments pop up all over the place and collect the dev. fees.

I know in Carlow they have 3 or 4 shopping centres on the outskirts of town, which has sucked the business and atmosphere out of the high street and town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

McDonagh shopping centre has been there for years. Not exactly new :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

New to me, Ken! :)

Also... here's one for u.
    If you look carefully at the county border...
    ...every major town on the border, that could *potentially* -and bear with me here- that could potentially be included in either Waterford or a neighbouring county... they always choose to be part of the other county!!!

Notable Examples:-
    Carrick
    Cahir
    Clonmel
    Youghal

Exception that proves the rule:-
    Tallow.

What's all that about?!

(I feel there's a Dan Brown novel in this)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

With the exception of Cahir(i like the castle) theyre very welcome to those places :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭larchielads

yeah but kilkenny dont have a tescos:D

we've got 5 tescos.......maybe we could swap one for one of their all irelands:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

We really have an inferiority complex down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

With the exception of Cahir(i like the castle) theyre very welcome to those places :pac:

The best thing about Cahir is the bypass. The majority of businesses I've had dealings with there have extremely bad customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Iceland is tiny, were not missing out on much.

Argos extra? There's only a few items extra you can get there lol.

We have almost every shop that is in mcdonagh, and I've heard of new shops planning on opening in waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Lamph wrote: »
    Whinge whinge.

(That's a summary of what is to come... If you don't like that kind of post, don't read on!)

Ok, so here's the thing...

Wexford has Argos extra.
    *Clonmel* (ffs) has Iceland.
    And today I was up in Kilkenny, and discovered this...

...deadly shopping centre that pretty much kicks City Square's butt!

Is there a smell of us here in Waterford or what?! lol
    Historically, we're one of Ireland's 5 main urban centre's. I wonder where we stand in the pecking order today!

This is just whinging for the sake of whinging. There is nothing there that is not already in Waterford and Iceland is coming. Waterford city centre is holding out its own in face of very difficult conditions. Its tourism offering has come on by leaps and bounds over the last few years. The night life area of John’s St will have another night club opening soon to add to its offering. We also have a strong restaurant sector. It’s not all about retail you know. Which in itself is not massively out of line it just needs the spruce up of a new shopping centre to modernise it. Hopefully something will happen in terms of the Newgate Centre as it is a viable development unlike a lot of things that were built during the Celtic tiger years. If it does Waterford’s city centre will be in a very strong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Worst thread of the year so far?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I thought the OP meant the thread in a tongue-in-cheek way... just me? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Worst thread of the year so far?

I can't decide if this one or war child's one about every thread turning into Dublin bashing is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Creamsoda wrote: »
    I can't decide if this one or war child's one about every thread turning into Dublin bashing is worse.

That's also a contender yeah. This one will be locked very soon though thankfully, all this "Kilkenny is not a city" rubbish is strictly forbidden now thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Marks & Sparks and Iceland are on their way AFAIK, we have Tesco Extra as well!

The OP is not completely without a point but its been argued over so often its hardly worth
    it again, what happened to that "Waterford village" discount brands area for the playing fields by the Swimming pool on the Cork road? Oh yeah the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Once the sun is shining, anywhere is brilliant. When it's raining, everywhere is a hell on earth.

Aussie logic :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Waterford > Kilkenny in terms of shopping, imo.

OP, are you guys Bonnie and Clyde?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Nothing much in that mcdonagh centre , that iceland in clonmel is a white elephant !!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Support the shops we have in the city centre already. More will follow when they determine the business is there. There is no use going to Kilkenny, Clonmel and buying everything there if the same product is available here. Wexford run a great in shop Windows, "Shop in Wexford" supporting xxx many local Jobs, also "Shop Local" "Buy Irish". We already have Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Pennys, Buy Lo, loads of Ladies clothes shops, menswear shops, a great Viking triangle, tourist trade. Why are we a pack of whingers, always looking for what others have, far away fields being greener etc. Be happy with a great Waterford city, tell everyone about it. be positive. Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

You should write a song about it and submit it to the X Factor like your big hit last year Lamph

• Advertisement

Avox wrote: »
    You should write a song about it and submit it to the X Factor like your big hit last year Lamph

Jesus, you're just a bundle of sunshine aren't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Jesus, you're just a bundle of sunshine aren't ya?

My name's not Jesus, but I sure am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Iceland ?!?

You're really not missing much to be perfectly honest. It's not somewhere I'd be rushing to go to.

They're only starting to roll out stores in Ireland. So far a few in Dublin and Carlow, Ashbourne and Clonmel.

They're not even open in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

deisemum wrote: »
    The best thing about Cahir is the bypass. The majority of businesses I've had dealings with there have extremely bad customer service.

g'way..

Thanks.

pm me the business names please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Solair wrote: »
    Iceland ?!?

You're really not missing much to be perfectly honest. It's not somewhere I'd be rushing to go to.

They're only starting to roll out stores in Ireland. So far a few in Dublin and Carlow, Ashbourne and Clonmel.

They're not even open in Cork.

I have heard they are having a very hard time getting a foothold in the market. That's Why they haven't opened in Waterford/Cork.I could live without them being honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Malown

Iceland ?!?

Nonsense, where else can you buy a bag of small croissants with chocolate centres for only 60c?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

A regular theme on here is the old Marks and Sparks type argument, the city is doing crap cos we dont have Iceland, M&S whoever.

The UK went down this route years ago with the result that every town is the same. Currently the UK government are spending millions trying to "save the high street". Mary Portas was recruited to work on this strategy and one of her main conclusions was more independent shops ( not big name stores).

Take Kilkenny Macdonagh Junction effectively killed Market Cross SC which now has a very low occupency.

We need some big name to create a critical mass but we also need boutiques selling one off goods. Ask any lady what they would rather wear, a dress from M&S that half the country owns or a one off piece that is unique.

We need to offer something different not the same old dross.

Malown wrote: »
    Iceland ?!?

Nonsense, where else can you buy a bag of small croissants with chocolate centres for only 60c?

But then they have some items that are literally double ye price of regular shops, wtf is that about? Have to say any of the food I bought in Iceland was tasty good :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Malown

Don't forget in Iceland stores they use £ so that 3 on the packet costs more than €3.

• Advertisement

Malown wrote: »
    Don't forget in Iceland stores they use £ so that 3 on the packet costs more than €3.

Ah I know that, but stupid things like cornflakes that cost 2.50 in tesco costing 4.50.

Advertisement