Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell off us?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I don't want to be one of those naysayers but the whole "We're getting an M&S and an Iceland!!!!" thing is a bit premature. The last location that I heard Iceland was going to was next to the Buy Lo on the Cork Rd and I live right by there and have seen no development at all and M&S was supposed to go to Ferrybank years ago and was vetoed by the council a few times (or so the rumours have said)

I'm really not going to get excited, or mildly enthused more accurately, about these places until I see some development.

But apart from that this city is a little bit of a joke. My sister came back from a place where people have jobs after many years away and was disgusted that Clonmel had an M&S. Clonmel had been a source of ridicule in our family for years as our mother would drag us there for car boot sales as children and it was about as exciting as Mullinavat.

If we're putting in list of shops we want I'd take a Brown Thomas, only for the makeup. They're the only place in Ireland to sell Mac (their website doesn't deliver to Ireland WTF?) and Nars. There's ones in Dublin, Galway, Cork and Limerick. If they were opening another store we'd be next by size (but heythat has never worked out for us in the past!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I grew up only about 5 mins away too (only it was probably about ten years before you :P). The place definitely lacks character, it just reminds me of a big warehouse with a few windows in it. Georges Court has the nice bit of brick inside and has the two floors which makes it look a bit more airy and Ardkeen seems nice & bright, I honestly don't know what Lisduggan could do to change things, I suppose they can't put more windows around the outside as the way the shops are organised, the outside walls are the back of all the units and the areas for deliveries etc. - be great if they could level the whole thing and start again :D

About 5 years ago the whole Lisduggan plot was going to be completely renovated and extended to take in the BoI plot next door. Then the economic collapse and "bang!", nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

JenniFurr wrote: »
    If we're putting in list of shops we want I'd take a Brown Thomas, only for the makeup. They're the only place in Ireland to sell Mac (their website doesn't deliver to Ireland WTF?) and Nars. There's ones in Dublin, Galway, Cork and Limerick. If they were opening another store we'd be next by size (but heythat has never worked out for us in the past!)

This is really OT but if youre looking to buy mac or nars make up online, house of fraiser deliver to Ireland :) Never used them myself but heard of others who did.

But yea, Id love a Brown Thomas here...

deise_girl wrote: »
    This is really OT but if youre looking to buy mac or nars make up online, house of fraiser deliver to Ireland :) Never used them myself but heard of others who did.

Excellent! Thank you. I used a parcel company to forward stuff from the North before but it's a bit pricey. BTW I'm not a crazy make up lady they just have colours that don't make me look orange! I'm so pale I'd have to mix talc in with my foundation.

Apologies to the male readers for my burst of oestrogen there. Won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

deise_girl wrote: »

I get all my Mac from Ebay!!! I take the odd trip to Cork and get a few bits in Brown Thomas alright. God, if they opened here I wouldn't have a penny to my name!!!

• Advertisement

It also seems to be full of... actually I'll stop myself there...

Yes it is full of.....!!! :-)

I get all my Mac from Ebay!!! I take the odd trip to Cork and get a few bits in Brown Thomas alright. God, if they opened here I wouldn't have a penny to my name!!!

I know I said I'd stop but I lied. Just had to say that most ebay MAC is knock off. Very, very good quality knock of though (I've bought loads myself, even some of the brushes were of better quality) but 99% of the time it's not the real deal. Sorry if you knew all that and I'm not assuming you don't know the difference just wanted to give you a heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I don't want to be one of those naysayers but the whole "We're getting an M&S and an Iceland!!!!" thing is a bit premature. The last location that I heard Iceland was going to was next to the Buy Lo on the Cork Rd and I live right by there and have seen no development at all and M&S was supposed to go to Ferrybank years ago and was vetoed by the council a few times (or so the rumours have said)

I'm really not going to get excited, or mildly enthused more accurately, about these places until I see some development.

But apart from that this city is a little bit of a joke. My sister came back from a place where people have jobs after many years away and was disgusted that Clonmel had an M&S. Clonmel had been a source of ridicule in our family for years as our mother would drag us there for car boot sales as children and it was about as exciting as Mullinavat.

I can't see Brown Thomas ever opening up in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BT are in Cork, Limerick and Galway purely because they took over Switzers group back in the 80s. They have never shown any interest in any other cities/towns as far as I know.

I know I said I'd stop but I lied. Just had to say that most ebay MAC is knock off. Very, very good quality knock of though (I've bought loads myself, even some of the brushes were of better quality) but 99% of the time it's not the real deal. Sorry if you knew all that and I'm not assuming you don't know the difference just wanted to give you a heads up.

Ah I'm a seasoned Ebayer, never bought a fake MAC item yet!! I tend to stick to certain trusted sellers and I've had stuff authenticated by a friend of mine who worked in MAC. You'd know by the quality of the item anyway. The articles on Ebay about the fakes make great reading, it's amazing what they do to try to pass it off. I stopped buying for a few years due to being out of work, I'm only back looking now and there's a lot less available but you'd definitely want your wits about you. Thanks for the heads-up anyway :D

Anyway, back on topic before we get told off!!!

Don't think we'll ever get BT anyway and to be honest, even with M&S, I'll believe it when I see it, sure we've all been talking about it for years, everyone has a different story and there's still not a sign of it. Until then, we'll have to continue with the day trips to Cork :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ don't worry about us guys, we're just jelly cos all we have is Old Spice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

old gregg wrote: »
    ^ don't worry about us guys, we're just jelly cos all we have is Old Spice

The mark of a man ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBL4wn1H9oE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Failing that then the old soap on a rope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

deisemum wrote: »
    Failing that then the old soap on a rope :D
    It helps when there's a 'Smell off us'!!

.....Aaaaaaand we're back on topic! :D

I can't see Brown Thomas ever opening up in Waterford.

neither do I but a girl can dream!

Advertisement