Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reasonably priced flight home for christmas

Options
  • 14-08-2012 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Visa is up at end of February but would love to surprise the parents by arriving home at christmas on a one way ticket. Has anybody managed a way to get home for under a grand (AUD)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Hahahahahaha

Are you serious???

Under a grand? Near Xmas?

Short answer - no.

If you leave in November you may - MAY - get something but not in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Unless you get deported I don't think you are gonna get a cheap flight home before Xmas mate

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Try China Southern Airlines to Amsterdam and AerLingus to Ireland. Cheapest around by a long way but I doubt you get it for under a grand.

Even China Southern won't have you home under a grand.

However, for any Sydney-siders wishing to fly home any time before the end of June next year and who like flying a nice airline, here is 10% off all Emirates flights.

Use booking code AUSSO01 in the promo code box when booking.

Only valid for departures ex Sydney unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

I think its crazy how expensive flights are out of Oz as opposed to getting there!

You could always try getting a low budget airline like airasia or flyscoot to asia and then trying to get a flight from there. This airlines do sales regularely and you could get a flight from between 100 and 200 dollars if you really keep an eye out and are really lucky (even though around xmas this is highly unlikely) then flights out of asia are between 600-700 dollars.

This also has the added risk of your flights been booked seperately incase anything happens to one of them.

I just had a quick check there and at the start of december air asia sydeny to KL is about 400 (no sales at the mo) then its 634 to Cork from there. So its not too far off your budget but its about 2 weeks before xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

ismiseX wrote: »
    Visa is up at end of February but would love to surprise the parents by arriving home at christmas on a one way ticket. Has anybody managed a way to get home for under a grand (AUD)?

Get a job on a Cruiseship and bunk off somewhere closer to home!

Otherwise, no very doubtful. Although STA can be pretty competitive and I am saving $500 by flying to Brisbane first on my way home at Christmas (I am going to NY first though) - whole lot (QANTAS to NY & Emirates Dub - Syd)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I just had a quick look at skyscanner and it is possible in the first week in December to get home for about $1,150 but after that you can forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I went into FlightCentre recently to organize flights home for May. They told me they will be having one of those Expo sales in October.

May not get huge deals but they usually have a bit off during those Expos

Sales are generally for getting rid of stock that retailers can't ordinarily shift.

Xmas is not a time when airlines have flights they can't sell so I really don't think the Flight Centre Sale will have xmas flights in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You're looking AUD 1150 the first week of December (could be 1000 ish with discount mentioned above). AUD 1500 the second and third week.

EDIT: 5th December SYD to DUB for 1071 using the above code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

that is excellent value in fairness but there is a caveat..... China Southern dont do personal screens on their flights. So bring valium....heaps of it !

dave3004 wrote: »
    that is excellent value in fairness but there is a caveat..... China Southern dont do personal screens on their flights. So bring valium....heaps of it !
    The fare I mentioned is on Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ismiseX

Where there's a will there's a way...

Flying Cairns to Tokyo on 9th December, staying in Tokyo a few days for a look around, then Tokyo-London, London-Dublin, on the 14th of December for a grand total of.....938.50!!

It can be done if you're willing to put in the time searching online!

What airlines are they with?

Cairns to Tokyo I'm guessing is Jetstar? Does that include your luggage?

In fairness you did well on pricing but that flight to Tokyo will be a bitch on Jetstar.

Recently did it on Qantas and it was rough enough in economy.

PS: totally recommend checking out Oedo Onsen in Tokyo ... culture shock but awesome Japanese experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

ismiseX wrote: »
    Where there's a will there's a way...

Flying Cairns to Tokyo on 9th December, staying in Tokyo a few days for a look around, then Tokyo-London, London-Dublin, on the 14th of December for a grand total of.....938.50!!

It can be done if you're willing to put in the time searching online!

But the op is going to have to stay somewhere for those few days so while i understand your main aim was to hit under the 1000 mark, the extra involved in making this trip kills the value.

Can be done for the same price flying straight through, just didnt want to miss the experience of Tokyo. Yes, with jetstar, baggage and all. Just letting people know that it CAN be done if you have patience. Another reasonably priced option was Perth-Bali-amsterdam-Dublin for under a grand also.

Are you in Cairns now though?

Because you'll have to factor getting to Cairns into your costing if not.

I only mention it because you say can be done from Perth also...but Perth is west coast (and 5 hours nearer) so obviously cheaper.

Yes I am in Cairns, which is why I went for that option. Sweet Jesus, only trying to help people out but it seems everyone is out to rain on my parade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭zuzuzu

Flights at the moment for return Perth to Dublin are circa $2800 in some places. I was looking to hold out possibly three weeks and hope to get them for around the same price...

Has anyone any previous knowledge in knowing whether the cost would be the same?? Obviously I'm not expecting them to go down but wouldn't like them anything majorly more expensive. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when you looking to fly?
    How far in advance are you booking?

< a month you'll notice price going up significantly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when you looking to fly?

hussey wrote: »
    when you looking to fly?

oops sorry about that.... yea was thinking of a suprise vist home to Ireland over Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

That's why they are so expensive then. Christmas is never a cheap time to fly :( there is anither thread a bit further diwn where some suggestions where made for cheap flights at xmas but they were one way fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Skyscanner:

Depart 18th December: Singapore airlines & Aer Lingus 25h duration.

Return 12th January: Same opposite way. 22.5hr duration.

Price: $2456

Not sure of your dates but I'm guessing you can get it cheaper than $2800.

Doesn't answer your question though! All I'll say is I went to look at flights in February for my parents for them to come here in June, waited till April to book price jumped by $200 each for same flight.

Thanks for the info guys (and gals)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Does anybody know if it possible to use Trailfinders to book return flights from Australia to home?

Or if not, is there any similar companies that can be used from this side?

I'm pretty sure I used Trailfinders in Brisbane to book flights back to Dublin before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Just booked flights from Mel to Dub from Dec 19 to Jan 2, $1900 return. It's with China Southern/Air France. Flight out is bit of toughie at 38hrs but scotch and sleeping tablets will see me through.
    Think it's good value considering how late we left it, thankfully tax refund will cover flights and keep me in Guinness money for the 10 days or so...

Booked on ZUJI.com if anyone is interested...

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Just booked flights from Mel to Dub from Dec 19 to Jan 2, $1900 return. It's with China Southern/Air France. Flight out is bit of toughie at 38hrs but scotch and sleeping tablets will see me through.
    Think it's good value considering how late we left it, thankfully tax refund will cover flights and keep me in Guinness money for the 10 days or so...

I admire your courage...China Southern is meant to be international Ryanair! They are a 4-star airline but the stories I've heard :eek:

Zuji is awesome though...going home for a visit soon and got return flights with Etihad for $1500 with Zuji (when the airline direct was quoting $1800 for the EXACT same flights) - plus no booking fees!

Even though it's a third party, as soon as I'd made the booking they gave me the Etihad reference number so I was able to go straight into Etihad's website and select my seats and meals choices etc.

Plus with Zuji, they just get you the fares, the payment is processed by the airline so your contract is actually with the airline. Good to know in case their are any issues with delays/cancellations/missed flights etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Batgurl wrote: »
    jackbhoy wrote: »

I admire your courage...China Southern is meant to be international Ryanair! They are a 4-star airline but the stories I've heard :eek:

Zuji is awesome though...going home for a visit soon and got return flights with Etihad for $1500 with Zuji (when the airline direct was quoting $1800 for the EXACT same flights) - plus no booking fees!

Even though it's a third party, as soon as I'd made the booking they gave me the Etihad reference number so I was able to go straight into Etihad's website and select my seats and meals choices etc.

Plus with Zuji, they just get you the fares, the payment is processed by the airline so your contract is actually with the airline. Good to know in case their are any issues with delays/cancellations/missed flights etc

Yeah, I heard they were crap but only one leg is with them, rest is air france so be fine. I can take pain for saving $1600 compared to Etihad etc

Advertisement