Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reasonably priced flight home for christmas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Batgurl wrote: »
    Just booked flights from Mel to Dub from Dec 19 to Jan 2, $1900 return. It's with China Southern/Air France. Flight out is bit of toughie at 38hrs but scotch and sleeping tablets will see me through.
    Think it's good value considering how late we left it, thankfully tax refund will cover flights and keep me in Guinness money for the 10 days or so...

Booked on ZUJI.com if anyone is interested...

I admire your courage...China Southern is meant to be international Ryanair! They are a 4-star airline but the stories I've heard :eek:

Zuji is awesome though...going home for a visit soon and got return flights with Etihad for $1500 with Zuji (when the airline direct was quoting $1800 for the EXACT same flights) - plus no booking fees!

Even though it's a third party, as soon as I'd made the booking they gave me the Etihad reference number so I was able to go straight into Etihad's website and select my seats and meals choices etc.

Plus with Zuji, they just get you the fares, the payment is processed by the airline so your contract is actually with the airline. Good to know in case their are any issues with delays/cancellations/missed flights etc

Yeah, I heard they were crap but only one leg is with them, rest is air france so be fine. I can take pain for saving $1600 compared to Etihad etc

Flight back with Etihad is $820 on Jan 2nd. Sometimes simply booking return flights isn't the cheapest. Two one ways can work cheaper. I don't believe u saved $1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

irishmover wrote: »
    Flight back with Etihad is $820 on Jan 2nd. Sometimes simply booking return flights isn't the cheapest. Two one ways can work cheaper. I don't believe u saved $1600.

Where are you getting that $820 from?

I checked many sites/combinations before booking and nothing close to as cheap as CS. I just looked up Etihad now and you are correct, I didn't save $1600 compared to Etihad, it's more like $2100.

On their site return for those dates are $6108 (for 2 people). Single from Mel to Dub is $4000+. Single from Dub to Mel is 2400+ euros.

In any case the flight out from Mel on Dec 19 was always going to be the really expensive part of the trip so even if could get an $850 return leg the outbound flight would probably negate the saving....

I checked many sites/combinations before booking and nothing close to as cheap as CS. I just looked up Etihad now and you are correct, I didn't save $1600 compared to Etihad, it's more like $2100.

On their site return for those dates are $6108 (for 2 people). Single from Mel to Dub is $4000+. Single from Dub to Mel is 2400+ euros.

In any case the flight out from Mel on Dec 19 was always going to be the really expensive part of the trip so even if could get an $850 return leg the outbound flight would probably negate the saving....

Expedia.com.au via skyscanner. Jan 2nd etihad airways $818.

December 19th. China southern 9hr 40mins flight rest with Turkish airlines $1377 via jetabroad (skyscanner search).

$2195 is more expensive than your flights but your return is all etihad. Turkish airlines, not sure how good they are compare to Air France but from what I've read they're decent and they got European airline of 2011. Still though not sure how good they are.

Also I've booked with Expedia and jetabroad before and there are no additional costs.

December 19th. China southern 9hr 40mins flight rest with Turkish airlines $1377 via jetabroad (skyscanner search).

$2195 is more expensive than your flights but your return is all etihad. Turkish airlines, not sure how good they are compare to Air France but from what I've read they're decent and they got European airline of 2011. Still though not sure how good they are.

Also I've booked with Expedia and jetabroad before and there are no additional costs.
    Did you click through to book.those flights though? Both scanner and jetabroad basically screenscrape fares and when you click through to.book they often update and increase in price substantially...

I got similar results with jetabroad weeks ago but when went to book it fell over with error saying could not confirm price. Skyscanner prices don't mean anything if.they are out.of date, which huge amount are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Also not sure if it helps anyone here but Bupa offer 15% off British Airways flights.

It's not a code so can't help you like with the Emirates code but if you are a Bupa member, no harm in checking prices.

• Advertisement

Did you click through to book.those flights though? Both scanner and jetabroad basically screenscrape fares and when you click through to.book they often update and increase in price substantially...

I got similar results with jetabroad weeks ago but when went to book it fell over with error saying could not confirm price. Skyscanner prices don't mean anything if.they are out.of date, which huge amount are.

I booked a $842.52 etihad flight via Skyscanner a few days ago. The price originally said $842.52. The price taken from my bank account was $842.52.

I done the same 7 weeks ago for my flight home. Same price as was originally quoted was taken out of my bank account.

Same goes for flights I booked in April. So far I've not come across price variation.

And same goes to mates/relatives who've also booked through Skyscanner. Probably about 12 flights I've seen booked and none had price variation from original price on first search.

I'm not saying I don't believe you or it doesn't happen but so far I've not seen an occurrence of it.

I booked a $842.52 etihad flight via Skyscanner a few days ago. The price originally said $842.52. The price taken from my bank account was $842.52.

I done the same 7 weeks ago for my flight home. Same price as was originally quoted was taken out of my bank account.

Same goes for flights I booked in April. So far I've not come across price variation.

And same goes to mates/relatives who've also booked through Skyscanner. Probably about 12 flights I've seen booked and none had price variation from original price on first search.

I'm not saying I don't believe you or it doesn't happen but so far I've not seen an occurrence of it.

Sorry, I wasn't saying they charge you more on card, what I meant was prices displayed on skyscanner are often out of date or no longer available. I had this problem with several prices I was quoted on skyscanner and when updated to live price they increased a lot or when clicked through to jetabroad or expedia the flight wasn't available.

Sorry, I wasn't saying they charge you more on card, what I meant was prices displayed on skyscanner are often out of date or no longer available. I had this problem with several prices I was quoted on skyscanner and when updated to live price they increased a lot or when clicked through to jetabroad or expedia the flight wasn't available.

Ah well fair enough. I've only ever seen price unavailable a few times. Or sold out. Which is inevitable!

Advertisement