Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new gaming PC.

Options
  • 14-08-2012 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello everyone! First of all, I just registered here for this website about 2 minutes ago to post something about my new gaming PC (not exactly sure where to post it but here seems good). Ok, So I'm getting a new gaming PC in about 3 months time and I have the specs all sorted out. My budget at the max is 700 and I like the build I have at the moment. I'm posting here so you guys can tell me, are all these parts compatible with eacother? i.e Can I put them together and boot it properly. Second of all, when building a gaming PC do I need Windows 7 to make it boot or can i somehow pirate it after booting it? Thanks in advance. Here are the specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.4 GHz

GPU: Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition - 2GB GDDR5

RAM: 12GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L LE, Sockel AM3+, ATX

Power Supply: Cooler Master GX Series PSU, 80Plus Bronze - 750 Watt

Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s @ 7200rpm

Case: Antec One Hundred. This is all coming in at 693 euro including shipping at http://www1.hardwareversand.de

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Buy your OS, don't pirate it. And if you want good games to keep coming out for your new PC, don't pirate them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nexus Elmo

I'm not going to pirate my games. But will all these parts work together?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can get windows for €55 which is cheaper than anywhere else from software4students.ie

You don't need 12GB of RAM, get 8. 8GB is still a lot of RAM.

Don't get a coolermaster GX. There's better PSUs for good prices like the Superflower amazon. 550W is enough for most systems.

Is there any reason in particular that you're looking at an AMD system? I'd usually be looking at Intel at the moment for better future options but AMD is releasing new CPUs next month if you really want to go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

No thats a silly spec. I assume you're not the brightest person either given you've asked about pirating an OS on a open forum that takes a very dim view of that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I'm just wondering why'd you spec a machine that won't be bought for another 3 months. A lot can happen in 3 months. Oh, and please no talk of pirating.

• Advertisement

No thats a silly spec. I assume you're not the brightest person either given you've asked about pirating an OS on a open forum that takes a very dim view of that sort of thing.

Well as I said I just registered to post this and wasn't aware of pirating being frowned upon. Ill buy windows 7 instead. Also, instead of telling me it's a silly build could you explain to me why it is so I can change it?

I was assuming you where a troll given the just registered and talking about pirating. Why would you think being a thief would be tolerated?

Read the charter fill out the form and I'll do up a build for you.

I was assuming you where a troll given the just registered and talking about pirating. Why would you think being a thief would be tolerated?

Read the charter fill out the form and I'll do up a build for you.

Again I'm new. What forum do i fill out? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

First link in my signature.

In fairness Procrastastudy, there's a lot of forums that very widely discuss and participate in piracy. I was on a games forums a while ago and discussions often went on to talking about soft drugs. Better to encourage reasons not to pirate.
    Good reason - boards doesn't like the legal attention it could bring.
    Best reason - Security. Any kind of destructive software could be attached to a pirated OS.

Nexus - check out the forums rules on any forum you ever register.
    When you're posting here, be sure to check the charter of each forum.

I don't like to get personal against posters as I don't like it done to me, but, a certain level of admonishment is warranted when people start taking the default position that it's okay to come on to a forum and start talking about software piracy.

A few minutes browsing a forum generally gets you to a point of know what is, and what is not acceptable. Boards.ie make that even easier by having a charter in the stickies of each forum.

As I've already said I'm more than happy to help the OP out. It's not my posting style, as anyone who uses this forum knows, to just tell people they've a sub-optimal build without explaining (in excruciating detail) why. That said I do think there is the odd person who deserves a slap for various reasons.

• Advertisement

Could you guys help me out with a build please?

1. What is your budget? 750

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. Hoping to be able to run BF3/Skyrim on high-max settings. Also want to be able to record games.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 and No.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank transfer and Credit Card.

9. When are you purchasing? About 2 to 3 months time, just want to have a build ready.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Fine on building.

2-3 months this build will be completely different but here you go:

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€44.04
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.19
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.88
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition, 2GB GDDR5|€222.00
    Samsung SH-222BB schwarz|€16.54
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.34
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155|€188.00
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€36.81
    Hitachi Travelstar 5K750 500GB, SATA II 6,4cm (2,5")|€57.48
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€750.27

I've put in a i5-2500K as you want to over clock. You don't say what resolution you will be gaming at but the 7850 should give you okay frame rates at 1080p. This is a little over budget - doesn't include a OS (ahem!) or a wireless card. If you where buying tomorrow then that might be an issue but as I said this isn't really going to make much odds in 3 months. Gives you a chance to explore the build and see why certain components were chosen.

2-3 months this build will be completely different but here you go:

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€44.04
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.19
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.88
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition, 2GB GDDR5|€222.00
    Samsung SH-222BB schwarz|€16.54
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.34
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155|€188.00
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€36.81
    Hitachi Travelstar 5K750 500GB, SATA II 6,4cm (2,5")|€57.48
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€750.27

I've put in a i5-2500K as you want to over clock. You don't say what resolution you will be gaming at but the 7850 should give you okay frame rates at 1080p. This is a little over budget - doesn't include a OS (ahem!) or a wireless card. If you where buying tomorrow then that might be an issue but as I said this isn't really going to make much odds in 3 months. Gives you a chance to explore the build and see why certain components were chosen.

I realize the build will be different for 2-3 months time but thanks so much for helping me out :)

Nexus Elmo wrote: »
    I realize the build will be different for 2-3 months time but thanks so much for helping me out :)

Will be very different for you budget. I think the AMD chips and the nVidia 660ti will probably slot in nicely to your build and budget.

What res are you gaming at?

Will be very different for you budget. I think the AMD chips and the nVidia 660ti will probably slot in nicely to your build and budget.

What res are you gaming at?

1920x1080.

Nexus Elmo wrote: »
    1920x1080.

Yeah I'd defo look at a cheaper build with an AMD unlocked SKU if one appears. Intel really need a K-series i3. That should bring the machine in budget and hopefully leave you with enough money for a 660Ti.

Nvidia only make one video card (worth buying) the 670. The 680 is the same thing with a slightly faster connection the memory and the 660ti will be the same as the 670 with an even slower connection - which doesn't matter for 1080p.

Yes I'm over simplfying this - just look at the benchmarks when they appear.

Ideally an SSD would be a good addition as well - but it's not a deal breaker. I wouldn't sacrifice CPU or GPU for it. Others may disagree there.

Sorry thats the wrong HDD - I deleted the wrong one (same price) out of my basket.

Advertisement