Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan / Car - camping and hostels

Options
  • 14-08-2012 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and my Australian girlfriend are looking at traveling up the east coast from Melbourne this Christmas. Some friends of hers who moved recently to Mount Isa invited us to come visit so we decided to make a big trip of it.

We are looking at how we are going to go about this as we will both be able to get about a month or more off work we thought we would drive up as Ive never been up the East coast before.

Here in lies the problem as neither of us own a car.

We are looking at a number of ways of getting up.

Option 1: renting a campervan (my girlfriend looked into this and it should cost about $2900ish)

Option 2: renting a car and camping or staying in hostels and hotels (to rent a small car for around that time should cost about $1000 but then we have to pay for accommodation too)

Option 3: Rent the car or van and drive up but fly home.

Option 4 (my Idea): Buying a used campervan and selling it when we get back. (I have seen them advertised by backpackers for about $3500ish with all the gear you would need included)

My girlfriend is worried about the additional costs that buying an old capervan might involve and the fact we might not be able to resell it afterwords. I'm less worried about it as I think we could get a really good deal from backpackers who have to leave the country and want a quick sale. Which is something we don't have to worry about when we get back.

Opinions? Anyone got any experience buying one of these? If so how much did you spend including any repairs you had to do?

Comments

Advertisement