Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JUST OUTSIDE BARCELONA

• 14-08-2012 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

hi all i have just booked a flight over to barcelona for the gf and i,flyin over the 4th of september.As we have always went on "big holidays"(not cheap) we said wed try to go on the cheap this year.Was thinking of staying in one of the places around barcelona rather than in barcelona as it is cheaper to stay in, can anybody suggest any places thats not to quite but not a loud place either(if we feel like going out then we have that option).A place with nice food(we dont venture to much with food and love our steaks).Things to do during the day in the place we stay isnt that important as we plan on travelling into bareclona itself and to the adventure parks and the zoo.
    cheers and any help, input/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

I just ran this search on tripadvisor, for good rated inexpensive hotels. It might be worth having a look at what the reviewers say and if any of these suit you requirements.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/HACSearch?geo=187497#02,1344936998003,map:-1,rad:S10km,sponsors:A,mz:-13,mc:S41.39837405306272|2.1605114179687357,cb:Aprng_1|prng_2|trating_4|zfc_4|zfc_3

You can then sort the list by price, lowest to highest. If you put in the dates of your travel, it will tell you which ones are available as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

was looking more so for places outside of barcelona as ive heard there is some nice places around barcelona but thanks for the help and advice all of the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

You should check out an area called Castelldelfels or Castelldelfels Playa (Playadefels is the local name). This is a large town about 25 minutes south of Barcelona using the train. The place is very nice, some little squares in Castelldelfels and long pedestrian streets with bars and cafes. In Playadefels there is a really beautiful beach and the town is fantastic. There is a long strip with a varied selection of restaurants, bars and clubs.

Both these areas are local places, tourists tend to be Spanish but its mostly a middle class area and very clean and safe. I can't recommend any hotels in the area from expeience but the trains go very regularly to Barcelona city, you can use a one zone T10 ticket which works out about €0.95 per journey, or a taxi should set you back about €40 if you miss the last train.

At the beginning of September the weather will still be great, the beach bars will be in full swing and it will have a real party atmosphere. Plus you are much closer to exploring other areas such as Sitges or Tarragona or if you really wanted you could get a day at Port Aventura very easily. Good luck.

great feed back dude thanks much appreciated

hi all ,we decided to stay out in tossa de mar,just a quick question,unfortunately never taught to look at the bus situation before we decided on the place,but our problem is the last barcelona bus(think its sumit like bus eirean,kinda state owned from what i can make out),leaves the airport at 7pm and we dont get in till 7.30pm.Its a cheap way of travelling was only costing us a few euro each.Another bus copmany(privately owned i think)is charging €35 for both ways per person and taxi is about €40.Has anybody had this problem before,if so how did you overcome it.(did they find a cheaper way to travel??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭mrskinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭mrskinner

Commuter trains from Blanes to Barcelona and back every day .

Check the renfe website for these trains

mrskinner wrote: »
    quick response and much appreciated cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

I'm not too sure if you want to spend an hour or so on a train but the Costa Dorada region is south of Barcelona and it's actully very nice. There's cities like Salou and Tarragona to visit and lovely seaside towns like Cambrils that still have their Catalan charm. And don't forget about the Portaventura Universal Studios theme park! :D

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    I'm not too sure if you want to spend an hour or so on a train but the Costa Dorada region is south of Barcelona and it's actully very nice. There's cities like Salou and Tarragona to visit and lovely seaside towns like Cambrils that still have their Catalan charm. And don't forget about the Portaventura Universal Studios theme park! :D
    dunno if wel get that far down os the chance to do it tink most of our days are booked up with things to as it is but thanks for the suggestions.cheers

• Advertisement

Hi,

I saw your other post (about Frankfurt) and there you say you are flying into Girona, not Barcelona. Just thought it might help if this was mentioned. I was beginning to wonder why you were going all the way up to Tossa de Mar as is not exactly 'just outside Barcelona'.

I am flying to Girona myself towards the end of September, spending a few days in the Girona itself and then heading over to the coast just a little up from Tossa de Mar. From what I've read, it's a really lovely part of Spain.

Is it mainly Barcelona that you are visiting on this trip, or are you seeing some of the surrounding area as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

jt_dublin wrote: »
    Hi,

I saw your other post (about Frankfurt) and there you say you are flying into Girona, not Barcelona. Just thought it might help if this was mentioned. I was beginning to wonder why you were going all the way up to Tossa de Mar as is not exactly 'just outside Barcelona'.

I am flying to Girona myself towards the end of September, spending a few days in the Girona itself and then heading over to the coast just a little up from Tossa de Mar. From what I've read, it's a really lovely part of Spain.

Is it mainly Barcelona that you are visiting on this trip, or are you seeing some of the surrounding area as well?
    Girona looks lovely, my family were going to fly there to get to Cambrils but we found flights to Porto for a better price :rolleyes: There's Jewish and Islamic quarters and canals and all that jazz :o Really want to visit there.

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Girona looks lovely, my family were going to fly there to get to Cambrils but we found flights to Porto for a better price :rolleyes: There's Jewish and Islamic quarters and canals and all that jazz :o Really want to visit there.

Yes, am really looking forward to seeing Girona. Those medieval towns & villages are my type of place!

Spent a family holiday in Cambrils as well a few years ago and really liked it, so I would recommend you get there at some stage if you havent been before. Reus airport is a lot nearer to it that Girona. Cambrils has a lovely long beach and is very safe for kids. The town is more authentic Spanish in comparison to other resorts on the Costas.

jt_dublin wrote: »
    Hi,

hi thanks for your reply we didnt really want to stay in barcelona itself,we wil deicate a whole day to barca but we are going for a relaxing hol more than anything and wanted a quiter spot than barca but with the option of goin clubbing if we want so thats why we opted for tossa de mar + its supposed to be a lovely place also.Really looking forward to it.

Advertisement