Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is fish so expensive [in one place in Howth]?

• 14-08-2012 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

who changed my thread title? I have clearly pointed out other fish restaurants in other parts of the country such as Kinsale are expensive. kindly change it back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Rly? 12 over here for a grand lump of salmon. Almost more than you could eat. Dublin is still living up the celtic tiger rip off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You base your entire market research on 1 restaurant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I agree with the op. Even in the wholesale fish shops the selection is poor compared to abroad and very expensive in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I was in a fish restaurant the other day in Howth and paid 18 euro for fish and chips. granted it tasted lovely, but why do folks entertain such prices? the chowder was eight euro. the fish as sourced only a few metres away.

at these prices dining out will be something folks do for special occasions only.

Why did you entertain such a price? You might be able to answer your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

eth0 wrote: »
    Rly? 12 over here for a grand lump of salmon. Almost more than you could eat. Dublin is still living up the celtic tiger rip off

howth is a busy place at the weekend ergo they can charge what they want.

• Advertisement

tin79 wrote: »
    Why did you entertain such a price? You might be able to answer your own question.

true, very true but when you are with Irish people you cannot appear stingy and they did not want to leave. they found it expensive but accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Because Ireland is a dear hole in general.

/thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was in a fish restaurant the other day in Howth and paid 18 euro for fish and chips.

why do folks entertain such prices?
    Did you ask yourself?
    What was your answer?

Swampy wrote: »
    I agree with the op. Even in the wholesale fish shops the selection is poor compared to abroad and very expensive in general.

Wrights has fish but you will pay for it. now if we were several thousand km from the coast I would understand it.

next time i will buy my fish from the lads fishing of the harbour wall.

Last year I went to Fishy Fishy in Kinsale fish and chips also priced at 18 euro was the cheapest thing on the menu. the restaurant belongs to some dude who has a programme on RTE where he encourages ordinary folk to eat more fish. the food in his restaurant was nice but the staff were pushy and rude.

we should eat more fish in this country but not at **** off prices.

i for one get my fish at aldi. its probably not Irish fish but cheaper than the fish sourced on our doorsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If it was exceptionally nice, it was worth it imho. I paid €17 for fish and chips down in Kinsale, was the best fish and chips I've ever had and worth every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

but why do folks entertain such prices? .

Because mugs head out to Howth and pay it.

Like you did.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Because Ireland is a dear hole in general.

/thread.

its dear cos folks accept the prices and we are used to pissing money away.

anncoates wrote: »
    Because mugs head out to Howth and pay it.

Like you did.

we happened to be in howth and they wanted fish. these days I cook at home sand rarely go to restaurants. I notice Beshoffs has two restaurant there one chippers and one sit down. there is almost a ten euro difference for fish and chips between the two.

OP, newsflash: A top quality restaurant is going to be more expensive than Lidl's frozen section

Cienciano wrote: »
    If it was exceptionally nice, it was worth it imho. I paid €17 for fish and chips down in Kinsale, was the best fish and chips I've ever had and worth every penny.

nice food does not have to cost the earth. i was down in Killorglin and the nicest bag of chips I ever ate. served by some ould lad and cost about 2 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The fish is full of radiation from Sellafield. Folks go there to get their buzz from eating it hence high prices.

OP, newsflash: A top quality restaurant is going to be more expensive than Lidl's frozen section

very often when you are waiting in the queue in lidl or aldi you see a chef or waiter doing the shopping for their restaurant.

fish and chips are fish and chips. its simple peasant food. there is not a lot you can do with it to justify the exorbitant price.

it was cod in batter.

McDonaghs of Galway were voted as having the best chips in ireland. true they have introduced smaller plates but you can still get fish and chips there for under ten euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

very often when you are waiting in the queue in lidl or aldi you see a chef or waiter doing the shopping for their restaurant.

I have never seen this. Was he wearing a big white hat? Maybe he was the pope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Which restaurant in Howth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Isn't asking why my fish in Howth is overpriced a bit like complaining about the price of champagne in Monaco?

Some places are just expensive and no one forces you to order it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

fish and chips are fish and chips. its simple peasant food. there is not a lot you can do with it to justify the exorbitant price.

it was cod in batter.

Cod is becoming rare and luxury item, similar in price to beef and most people pay €20 for a steak without complaint. If you want good tasty peasant food eat mackerel, hake, pollack.

its dear cos I accept the prices and I'm used to pissing money away.
    FYP.

As for me, if I'm back in Kinsale I'll definitely pay the €17 I paid in the Blue Haven for fish and chips.

it was cod in batter.

McDonaghs of Galway were voted as having the best chips in ireland. true they have introduced smaller plates but you can still get fish and chips there for under ten euro.

Peasant food? Have you bought any cod lately?

It may be a simple meal but it can be done badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I like calamari. That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I love this place, it's a Galway institution

Also there is a fish monger out the back if you want to take some of their fresh selection home

bhamsteve wrote: »
    Cod is becoming rare and luxury item, similar in price to beef and most people pay €20 for a steak without complaint. If you want good tasty peasant food eat mackerel, hake, pollack.

interesting point of view. mackerel tastes nice but cooking fresh mackerel really stinks up he house.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I love this place, it's a Galway institution

Also there is a fish monger out the back if you want to take some of their fresh selection home

despite its success it managed to keep it real and never really lost the run of itself.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Peasant food? Have you bought any cod lately?

It may be a simple meal but it can be done badly.

wasnt it revealed about a year ago that fish and chippers were selling a cheaper substitute and calling it cod?

wasnt it revealed about a year ago that fish and chippers were selling a cheaper substitute and calling it cod?

Yes, it was pollack, which is a perfectly good fish, storm in a teacup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Indeed it was
    73% (eight out of 11) of smoked fish samples were found to be mislabelled and 13% (13 out of 100) of un-smoked fish samples were found to be mislabelled.

The nationwide survey was carried out in retail outlets, fish shops, hotels, pubs, restaurants and takeaways.

The largest sector for non-compliance was takeaways, with 32% found to have mislabelled fish produce on sale.

Prof Reilly said this activity can be viewed as food businesses increasing their own profit margins by misleading consumers.

I blame the eye-talians, a nation known for cheating :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

If this is referring to the place I think it is... It is worth it...

I have eaten there and whilst the price might be slightly high... the service, atmosphere and the presentation of the food is second to none. They also give you fish and chips and mushy peas and serve it on a board. When you choose to eat in a sit down restaurant rather then get it from the chipper you naturally should take in to consideration all that is involved behind the food. (Staff, ingreidients, electricity etc)

All places now have their menu and prices on the wall outside their premises so as to avoid people complaining re the price.. If you weren't happy to pay that why did you go in? You could have gone to Beshoffs and had your F&C in a box and sat on the harbour wall eating it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

You were codded OP.

interesting point of view. mackerel tastes nice but cooking fresh mackerel really stinks up he house.

I nearly got thrown out of a shared house for eating kippers for breakfast :)
    Mackerel is a very healthy food, providing essential fats, and costs virtually nothing so I try to eat it regularly. If you can get it very fresh (1-2 days) it is tasty but older than that it's rank.
    Hake's pretty much on a par with cod though, if you don't over cook it.

Sarah** wrote: »

I have eaten there and whilst the price might be slightly high... the service, atmosphere and the presentation of the food is second to none. They also give you fish and chips and mushy peas and serve it on a board. When you choose to eat in a sit down restaurant rather then get it from the chipper you naturally should take in to consideration all that is involved behind the food. (Staff, ingreidients, electricity etc)

All places now have their menu and prices on the wall outside their premises so as to avoid people complaining re the price.. If you weren't happy to pay that why did you go in? You could have gone to Beshoffs and had your F&C in a box and sat on the harbour wall eating it..

Is that the oarhouse? I got fish and chips there and it was great. Definitely above a chipper. But for me, lost points for having the skin on it. It was haddock when I was there. Blue haven had ling, savagely good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

Is that the oarhouse? I got fish and chips there and it was great. Definitely above a chipper. But for me, lost points for having the skin on it. It was haddock when I was there. Blue haven had ling, savagely good.

I didn't know if I could mention the name of the restaurant but yep... It's far superior to the chipper and worth the cost...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I prefer pollack & hake to cod. Both have more flavour & texture than cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Nah. That's kind of important. If someone sells you X then it better be X. Even if Y is better, that's not what you bought.

I didn't know if I could mention the name of the restaurant but yep... It's far superior to the chipper and worth the cost...

Don't think there's a problem with naming it as long as it's not a long rant about a place with your first post.
    I went there cos it was recommended to me by an english guy who is mad into fish and chips. And it was midweek and it was full, so they're doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Fish is really overpriced in Ireland, though if I remember rightly Wrights is more expensive than other places in Howth for buying fresh fish in fact I miss Howth for buying cheap fresh fish compared to where I am now.

A good example of how fish is overpriced in Ireland is how a few years ago you could buy lobster for 12 euro a kilo in Donegal while in Howth it was 20+ a kilo.

Another example is Eel, its cheaper on the continent even though Lough Neagh is a major producer (and eel is transported live so transport costs should be significant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Nah. That's kind of important. If someone sells you X then it better be X. Even if Y is better, that's not what you bought.

True.

I was buying E's in a night club and the sneakey fecker sold me F's. Close but not as good as E's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The fish was probably very reasonably priced. It's the chips that they were ripping you off on.

Sucker! :pac:

You were codded OP.

and me wallet was battered.

I understand there will be a different price between chipper and restaurant, but I think 14 euro must more than enough to charge if you are sitting down. the two places are connected to Beshoffs as far as i know.

I wonder would fish be as expensive if you went to a small Spanish or Italian fishing village?
    Fish is expensive in this country and it would seem many folks here are willing to pay top dollar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Why don't ya invest in a fishing rod OP and catch your own?

I can't remember the last time I paid for fish.

Nice pollack, mackerel and trout if you live near the sea alright. The pike, perch and bream on the Shannon aren't great though :)

Fish is really overpriced in Ireland, though if I remember rightly Wrights is more expensive than other places in Howth for buying fresh fish in fact I miss Howth for buying cheap fresh fish compared to where I am now.

A good example of how fish is overpriced in Ireland is how a few years ago you could buy lobster for 12 euro a kilo in Donegal while in Howth it was 20+ a kilo.

Another example is Eel, its cheaper on the continent even though Lough Neagh is a major producer (and eel is transported live so transport costs should be significant).

this is the problem. It could be that Dubliners are not that familiar with seafood, consider it exotic and expect to pay a high price for it.

Wrights seems to be in a few places but not that cheap and as long as folks are prepared to pay their prices why should they be otherwise.

Fish is very healthy but healthy doe snot need to cost a fortune.

the restaurant in question charged 8 euro for a salad in small cereal size bowl. it consisted of rocket leaves, a small bit of goats cheese and beetroot. nothing major in terms of creation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Feisar

Get them fresh (alive) gut them and put them on a BBQ high of the heat as they will go on fire due to the oil content. Serve with home made chips. Heaven.

First they came for the socialists...

not a bad idea. pick up a little colour as well.I do have a lidl rod, which I have never used. maybe I will head down to Galway for the mackerel.

in terms of Dublin would you eat the fish you catch off Bull Wall? the water can be a strange colour at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

not a bad idea. pick up a little colour as well.I do have a lidl rod, which I have never used. maybe I will head down to Galway for the mackerel.

in terms of Dublin would you eat the fish you catch off Bull Wall? the water can be a strange colour at times.

The mackeral are in abundance at the minute. Fishmongers have been saying that there is a shortage of mackeral in the shops due to the fact that they buy off trawlers but the fish are near to shore right now.

I have no idea where the Bull Wall is. On New Years Day (and a bit after), you can only catch salmon on the Drowes or Liffey. I think I would be iffy about eating the Liffey one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fresh grilled Mackerel fillets with potatoes and butter.

Simple and delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement