Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Give it a REST for heaven sake

• 14-08-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

every time the TV or radio comes on it is STILL going on and on and on and on about the Irish olympic medal winners.

For heaven sake - can we get over it now - its a bit of overkill.

dont' get me wrong, it's great for them and the country but come on, leave it alone now - its like flogging a dead horse at this stage.

Bore fest!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

every time the TV or radio comes on it is STILL going on and on and on and on about the Irish olympic medal winners.

dont' get me wrong, it's great for them and the country but come on, leave it alone now - its like flogging a dead horse at this stage.

Bore fest!!

yes let's go back to talking about recession :o

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

what do you mean "at this stage"?

it has barely been a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

OP come back to me when we're still taking about it in 46 years time, like a certain neighbour we have and their 'world cup glory' ;)

Does no harm to celebrate something once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

WE LOVE YOU KAA-TIE WE DO
    WE LOVE YOU KAA-TIE WE DO
    OHH KAA-TIE WE LOVE YOU
    KAA-TIE KAATIE KAATIE KAATIE.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Racist, sexist, Ireland-hater.

Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Katie for president!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The Olympics only comes around every 4 years. For a small country we did quite well. I'm proud of all our medal winners and so are most of the rest of the country. There's no harm in celebrating their success at a time when the only other news on a daily basis is the same old depressing IMF, recession shíte.
    The whole mood of the country changed to positive for two weeks and that's a good thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Flogging a dead horse you say? Enough so that we could get a gold medal in it? C'mon Ireland! Flog that horse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

+1 for Olympics thread.

Yay for Olympics!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

anncoates wrote: »
    Racist, sexist, Ireland-hater.

Reported.

Katie isn't white?

I always thought she looked like a man from Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

every time the TV or radio comes on.......

I'd be more concerned about these paranormal activities that keep turning your media devices on. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

The games only finished 36 hours ago FFS, the athletes were welcomed home yesterday (as medal winners will have been in every country) so it's hardly overkill!

What would you rather listen to? Stories about murder/rape/drugs busts/starving children/recession or any of the other depressing stories that normally dominate the news? Lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

I thought we did **** but sure anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm delighted we did so well, and our athletes' hard work paid off. Very proud of them all (even the ones who didn't get medals).

But yes, I'm ready for it to be finished-mainly due to EVERY ad on tv tenuously linking themselves to the games. I mean, nappies?? Really??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

OP = mad

Do people really think we did that well? New Zealand got 13 medals, why can't we do as well as they do? We're a rich country, I think we should be aiming for higher than 5 medals anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Do people really think we did that well? New Zealand got 13 medals, why can't we do as well as they do? We're a rich country, I think we should be aiming for higher than 5 medals anyway...

we did good no doubt, but seriously, there is no getting away from the flipping thing now.

Yes, I would rather we got back to the proper news now.

Congrats and all that but lets move on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ghandee wrote: »
    OP come back to me when we're still taking about it in 46 years time, like a certain neighbour we have and their 'world cup glory' ;)

How often have you heard about Ronnie Delaney(1956)Italia 90(we lost)The Irish golfer Rory McElroy who wants to play for Team GB in Rio,in short we're worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

It's ridiculous now.

I fcuking hate bandwagons and even more so the people that hop aboard them.

Look, you're into boxing or you're not. Maybe you need a distraction from your life and that's fine, but the incessant flag waving from people who didn't give a fcuk about Katie Taylor a year ago just p!sses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

kneemos wrote: »
    How often have you heard about Ronnie Delaney(1956)Italia 90(we lost)The Irish golfer Rory McElroy who wants to play for Team GB in Rio,in short we're worse.

I must not listen to the right people, because i hadnt a clue who Ronnie delaney was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Bad Panda wrote: »
    It's ridiculous now.

Look, you're into boxing or you're not. Maybe you need a distraction from your life and that's fine, but the incessant flag waving from people who didn't give a fcuk about Katie Taylor a year ago just p!sses me off.

that annoys me slightly aswell, but look at it from taylors point of view, the more fans she has the better. Its good for her career.

Plus irish people are the best bandwagoners in the world! sure look at the premier league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It's ridiculous now.

Why does it piss you off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Give the begrudging a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

later12 wrote: »

And how does it make you feeeelll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ireland should put a bid into host the 2020 Olympics, sure it'd be great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

neil_hosey wrote: »
    that annoys me slightly aswell, but look at it from taylors point of view, the more fans she has the better. Its good for her career.

Plus irish people are the best bandwagoners in the world! sure look at the premier league!

The only time i get annoyed with band wagoners is when they talk to me about something i have followed for a long time and they have recently discovered it and are then explaining it to me.

Then i might look like this :rolleyes:

Otherwise I dont give a ****, if people want to be happy for a reason that doesnt hurt someone else Im not usualy one to crap all over their happiness.
    However seemingly silly.

It's ridiculous now.

So unless we're long time fans we don't get to celebrate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Ghandee wrote: »

Hahahahaha!!!! from the country that rejoices in Munster beating New Zealand B team in the 70s still, and even has songs and a play about it. Priceless. Sonia O'Sullivan is a national hero for getting silver, and the rugby team are national heroes for getting two grand slams in over 60 years.

Funnily I hear the irish and Scots talking about 1966 far more than any englishman.

• Advertisement

Always thought female boxing was for perves in long coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

CJC999 wrote: »
    Ireland should put a bid into host the 2020 Olympics, sure it'd be great craic.

ya, we can't even get five winners of medals back into the country without it being a big to-do with name calling and fighting over "who gets them first". :roll eyes:

embarrassing to say the least.

later12 wrote: »

I believe it to be somewhat false. The same people will forget about Katie Taylor in a month's time and a lot of the same people didn't bother their holes to watch the Irish men fighting.
    Sauve wrote: »
    And how does it make you feeeelll?

A tad miffed. :)
    So unless we're long time fans we don't get to celebrate?

See response to Later12.

I believe it to be somewhat false. The same people will forget about Katie Taylor in a month's time and a lot of the same people didn't bother their holes to watch the Irish men fighting.

And a lot of people didn't bother to watch the men run when Sonia won, either.

What's your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Katie Taylor is British
    oh i went their

*waits silently for all the serious people*

And a lot of people didn't bother to watch the men run when Sonia won, either.

What's your point?

My point is, simply picking one person and supporting them because they're doing so well is called a bandwagon. It's false.

If people really cared about the sport, the athletes they wouldn't start waving flags when someone is doing well and and completely forget about them a few weeks later.

To me, it shows a total lack integrity.

• Advertisement

saiint wrote: »
    Katie Taylor is British
    oh i went their

*waits silently for all the serious people*

She looks a bit British now that you mention it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

My point is, simply picking one person and supporting them because they're doing so well is called a bandwagon. It's false.

If people really cared about the sport, the athletes they wouldn't start waving flags when someone is doing well and and completely forget about them a few weeks later.

would you rather we didnt wave our false flags in the air at our own nations athletes who are doing well?
    theirs a reason we have the best fans in the world :D we may jump on the bandwagon but we do a damn good job

Would you say the same about Sonia O' Sullivan?

That these years later I'm the only person who remembered her who doesn't follow that sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Flogging a dead horse you say? Enough so that we could get a gold medal in it? C'mon Ireland! Flog that horse!

Pray tell, would said horse that we're floggin test positive for a prohibited substance? :eek:

A case in hand about we like to hang on to things, every 2012 Oympics story regarding O'Connor included Athens 2004 somewhere in it. Let it go !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have to say I'm getting a bit of "Olympic celebration fatigue" as well.. I'm also getting sick of RTE trying to make everybody feel guilty for "forgetting" about Cian O'Connor.. saying things like "oh, and dont forget Cian O'Connor, he was brilliant and he got a medal too"..

RTE, I havent forgotten..

2004 Summer Olympics
    Further information: Equestrian at the 2004 Summer Olympics – Individual jumping and Ireland at the 2004 Summer Olympics
    Riding his horse, Waterford Crystal, he became an instant national hero, being the only Irish medalist that year. However, on 8 October 2004, it emerged that Waterford Crystal had tested positive for a prohibited substance. Components of the 'B' sample were stolen, as were documents from the Irish Equestrian Federation offices. However, the B blood sample also tested positive for prohibited, but not performance-enhancing, substances, which had been prescribed to the horse some time earlier.

The Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI) ruled that O'Connor must be stripped of his medal and he also received a three month ban from competition. On 10 June 2005, O'Connor's solicitor filed an official waiver of appeal in the FEI which made the Judicial Committee’s decision official. O'Connor lost his gold medal and the Irish Show Jumping Team was disqualified by the Olympic Board. The individual showjumping gold medal went to Brazilian Rodrigo Pessoa and the Irish team's seventh place was inherited by the Italians.

• Advertisement

You should be glad people are jumping on the bandwagon as the more support she gets the more valuable she becomes regards sponsers,or would you prefer she got no return for her hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's ridiculous now.

This is being bandied about all week....katie taylor has been one of our most popular sports people for years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Well, we used to be considered a rich country, now we're debt rich. I don't follow sport but I do admire all the sports men/women who competed.

They trained in sub-standard conditions and their achievements required a lot of hard work and determination. They deserve recognition. If funding was increased it would encourage more people to compete at a serious level and would improve our medal tally.

Still, 5 medals is impressive for a small country with a poor emphasis on sport and lack of funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yeah that was sort of implied, but I'm still unclear as to why bandwagoning would bother someone.

Is it that you think it detracts from the sense of joy felt by more kosher boxing enthusiasts:confused:

I'm not criticising, I'm just curious. It's like when you hear people angrily demand that they liked X band way before they were famous/ featured on an Apple advertisement. Who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I'm kinda with the OP.

It just goes to show how damaging the crash was to the Irish psyche. Bertie, Seanie and the boys have so much to answer for.

We go to the Olympics, perform brilliantly in the boxing and a couple of other disciplines (horses, sailing, walking) and the country/media is doing homecomings, celebrations, flag waving etc. Most of this is down to us being so down in the dumps for 4 years brought on by recession, corruption and greed.

We are a proud nation but we got rightly taken for a ride in those supposed boom yrs and when we are reminded how strong we can be (excuse pun but we defo boxed above our weight) we go bananas.

Now let's park this and move on. Start to get things right, expose corruption, stop the waste. Pay Billy Walsh what he deserves unlike some of the other so called high performance managers, high performance my arse.

Let this week be the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I think its great that Ireland done well at the olympic Games and was great that Katie got a good reception upon her return, but seriously all those d*cks on Facebook, posting up pics such as 'like and share if your proud of Katie Taylor'. They dont really give a damn and prob never watched a boxing match in their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I dislike when the topic of a thread is not obvious from the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I just can't wait for the P&G ads to stop.

Well, we used to be considered a rich country, now we're debt rich. I don't follow sport but I do admire all the sports men/women who competed.

They trained in sub-standard conditions and their achievements required a lot of hard work and determination. They deserve recognition. If funding was increased it would encourage more people to compete at a serious level and would improve our medal tally.

Still, 5 medals is impressive for a small country with a poor emphasis on sport and lack of funding.

In the grand scheme of things, we're very rich, recession or no. And I think 5 medals(only one of them being gold) is quite mediocre. Maybe I just have high standards. At the same time though I wasn't expecting anything better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Bore fest!!

You are the bore:p

If you don't want to be a part of it that's fine ...stop dictating how to you think others should behave socially.

I am still stoked...but i don't go to others hey you should be waving the tri- colour...

It is really a way of supporting a woman who was obviously enjoying the connection with her people and us too.

You don't have to get in on it if you don't want to....that's fine..i am still on a cloud..

I am sick of people talking about recessionand jumpig on that band wagon each to their own though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement