Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Give it a REST for heaven sake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jester252 wrote: »
    I just can't wait for the P&G ads to stop.

Proud sponsors of mums.

I'm sorry... what does that even mean!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

every time the TV or radio comes on it is STILL going on and on and on and on about the Irish olympic medal winners.

For heaven sake - can we get over it now - its a bit of overkill.

dont' get me wrong, it's great for them and the country but come on, leave it alone now - its like flogging a dead horse at this stage.

Bore fest!!

Couldn't agree more. Half the time, I think we are obsessing about it because of our performance in UEFA 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Dean09 wrote: »
    The Olympics only comes around every 4 years. For a small country we did quite well. I'm proud of all our medal winners and so are most of the rest of the country. There's no harm in celebrating their success at a time when the only other news on a daily basis is the same old depressing IMF, recession shíte.
    The whole mood of the country changed to positive for two weeks and that's a good thing in my opinion.

That's debatable. Ireland did better than usual, but were still behind the likes of Kazakhstan, Georgia, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Czech R and NZ.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Look at how long the neighbours have been going on about that world cup. They'll be going on about this Olympics too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Plazaman wrote: »
    Pray tell, would said horse that we're floggin test positive for a prohibited substance? :eek:

A case in hand about we like to hang on to things, every 2012 Oympics story regarding O'Connor included Athens 2004 somewhere in it. Let it go !!!!

The ketamine was for my own personal use your honour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

In the grand scheme of things, we're very rich, recession or no. And I think 5 medals(only one of them being gold) is quite mediocre. Maybe I just have high standards. At the same time though I wasn't expecting anything better...

I'd say it has more to do with not having an iota as to what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Ghandee wrote: »
    OP come back to me when we're still taking about it in 46 years time, like a certain neighbour we have and their 'world cup glory' ;)

Does no harm to celebrate something once in a while.

Dont worry, I'm sure the fantastic pundits on RTE will still be getting milage out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

summerskin wrote: »
    Sonia O'Sullivan is a national hero for getting silver
    In fairness to Sonia she won World championships and a load of other titles. Plus if people regard Michelle Smith's gold medals in Atlanta as tainted then the same must be said for Gabriella Szabo, the woman who beat Sonia to gold in Sydney.

O'Sullivan is/was our greatest female athlete - regardless of what Katie Taylor has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    In fairness to Sonia she won World championships and a load of other titles. Plus if people regard Michelle Smith's gold medals in Atlanta as tainted then the same must be said for Gabriella Szabo, the woman who beat Sonia to gold in Sydney.

O'Sullivan is/was our greatest female athlete - regardless of what Katie Taylor has done.
    Not so sure about that. katies Record is impressive.

2005 European Amateur Championships Tønsberg, Norway 1st 60 kg 2006 European Amateur Championships Warsaw, Poland 1st 60 kg 2006 World Amateur Championship New Delhi, India 1st 60 kg 2007 European Amateur Championships Vejle, Denmark 1st 60 kg 2008 European Union Amateur Championships Liverpool, England 1st 60 kg 2008 World Amateur Championship Ningbo, People's Republic of China 1st 60 kg 2009 European Union Amateur Championships Pazardzhik, Bulgaria 1st 60 kg 2009 Russian Multi-Nations event St. Petersburg, Russia 1st 60 kg 2009 European Amateur Championships Mykolaiv, Ukraine 1st 60 kg 2010 European Union Amateur Championships Keszthely, Hungary 1st 60 kg 2010 World Amateur Championship Barbados 1st 60 kg 2011 European Union Amateur Championships Katowice, Poland 1st 60 kg 2011 European Amateur Championships Rotterdam, Netherlands 1st 60 kg 2012 World Amateur Championship Qinhuangdao, China 1st 60 kg 2012 Olympic Games London, United Kingdom 1st 60 kg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Paralympics to start soon... so a least another month of Olympics been on TV and radio :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

You are the bore:p

If you don't want to be a part of it that's fine ...stop dictating how to you think others should behave socially.

I am still stoked...but i don't go to others hey you should be waving the tri- colour...

It is really a way of supporting a woman who was obviously enjoying the connection with her people and us too.

You don't have to get in on it if you don't want to....that's fine..i am still on a cloud..

I am sick of people talking about recessionand jumpig on that band wagon each to their own though.

listening to the same monotonous "news" for the past few days, on the hour, every hour, on every Irish station - now thats boring (well at least for most of us).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well, we used to be considered a rich country, now we're debt rich. I don't follow sport but I do admire all the sports men/women who competed.

They trained in sub-standard conditions and their achievements required a lot of hard work and determination. They deserve recognition. If funding was increased it would encourage more people to compete at a serious level and would improve our medal tally.

Still, 5 medals is impressive for a small country with a poor emphasis on sport and lack of funding.

In fairness more emphasis and funding were given to Boxing since Beijing and still Katie was the only person to win out a weight class. I'm not saying winning silver or bronze isn't an achievement of sorts, thankfully we're not like the States where they class those medals as first and second loser.

yes, at the end of the day we came home with ONE gold medal. and to be honest, if we think about it, if Katie Taylor wasn't competing, nobody would have given a curse.

ONE GOLD MEDAL - and a never ended regurgitation about it by the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The fawning and bandwagon jumping goes completely OTT. It's all well and good to be happy for them and have a bit of pride but driving up to Dublin at lunch time on a Monday just to maybe catch a glimpse of them at the airport (when the authorities have specifically said NOT to) is ridiculous.

There's no half measures with Irish people, it's either bunting and tricolours everywhere or they couldn't give a flying one. Sometimes it's ok to just be in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The fawning and bandwagon jumping goes completely OTT. It's all well and good to be happy for them and have a bit of pride but driving up to Dublin at lunch time on a Monday just to maybe catch a glimpse of them at the airport (when the authorities have specifically said NOT to) is ridiculous.

There's no half measures with Irish people, it's either bunting and tricolours everywhere or they couldn't give a flying one. Sometimes it's ok to just be in between.

• Advertisement

yes, at the end of the day we came home with ONE gold medal. and to be honest, if we think about it, if Katie Taylor wasn't competing, nobody would have given a curse.

ONE GOLD MEDAL - and a never ended regurgitation about it by the media.
    bollo*x anyone who knew anything about sport knew our boxers were our best shot. If Nevin and co came back with their haul we would be just as excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

Ireland should have the begrudgers games sure to come out on top of the medal table .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Ireland did great and as I saw on twitter it will lead to more Olympians:

The Olympics medals today are really inspiring Irish children. Just saw a little girl punching the **** out of her My Little Pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Have to say I'm getting a bit of "Olympic celebration fatigue" as well.. I'm also getting sick of RTE trying to make everybody feel guilty for "forgetting" about Cian O'Connor.. saying things like "oh, and dont forget Cian O'Connor, he was brilliant and he got a medal too"..

RTE, I havent forgotten..

2004 Summer Olympics
    Further information: Equestrian at the 2004 Summer Olympics – Individual jumping and Ireland at the 2004 Summer Olympics
    Riding his horse, Waterford Crystal, he became an instant national hero, being the only Irish medalist that year. However, on 8 October 2004, it emerged that Waterford Crystal had tested positive for a prohibited substance. Components of the 'B' sample were stolen, as were documents from the Irish Equestrian Federation offices. However, the B blood sample also tested positive for prohibited, but not performance-enhancing, substances, which had been prescribed to the horse some time earlier.

The Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI) ruled that O'Connor must be stripped of his medal and he also received a three month ban from competition. On 10 June 2005, O'Connor's solicitor filed an official waiver of appeal in the FEI which made the Judicial Committee’s decision official. O'Connor lost his gold medal and the Irish Show Jumping Team was disqualified by the Olympic Board. The individual showjumping gold medal went to Brazilian Rodrigo Pessoa and the Irish team's seventh place was inherited by the Italians.

Yet on Prime Time, they completely ignored Michelle Smith, by saying that Katie Taylor's medal was Ireland's first since 1992...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Yet on Prime Time, they completely ignored Michelle Smith, by saying that Katie Taylor's medal was Ireland's first since 1992...
    Thought they might have it phrased as "first Olympic boxing gold medal medal since 1992", which is true enough
    Min wrote: »

The Olympics medals today are really inspiring Irish children. Just saw a little girl punching the **** out of her My Little Pony.
    Oh noooo!!! The last thing we need are a load of irate bronies!

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »

My Little Pony - I thought they went out with the tide.

ya, its like kids take out their tennis racquets when wimbledon is on - give them a couple of days after, and the racquets are thrown back in the attic never to be seen till the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

We haven't won a proper gold medal in 20 years, to right I am going to go on about it.

how many thousand is up in Dublin at the minute at the "homecoming" 10,000? 20,000? 30,000?

Oh wait, I think there is about 198 people there.

Seems like I'm not the only one thinking "flogging a dead horse"

cringe.

:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What I thought was funny about the whole thing, when Katie Taylor was fighting and winning, all the girls and some boys on facebook would not shut up about her, posting stupid Irish pride photos. Yet I didn't see one mention for John Joe Nevin who was also going for gold...
    Either way, I dont care. Let people milk it if they want and if that bothers you then I dont know, maybe move to Tajikistan?

Yakult wrote: »
    What I thought was funny about the whole thing, when Katie Taylor was fighting and winning, all the girls and some boys on facebook would not shut up about her, posting stupid Irish pride photos. Yet I didn't see one mention for John Joe Nevin who was also going for gold...

exactly - as I said before if it wasn't for Katie nobody would have given a curse about the others. She;s a great girl no doubt, can people not leave her alone to get on with her much deserved rest. Seems like they can't.

Maybe after this "homecoming" disaster people can move on.

its a complete disaster.

Yakult wrote: »
    I would Disagree...John Joe got massive support and still is. He's not in the same league as Katie as she has been a well known personality for years now. Katie is the biggest star and therefore gets more support. It's not rocket science.

exactly - as I said before if it wasn't for Katie nobody would have given a curse about the others. She;s a great girl no doubt, can people not leave her alone to get on with her much deserved rest. Seems like they can't.

Maybe after this "homecoming" disaster people can move on.

its a complete disaster.
    Bolloc*s....they would got the same support as bejing plus a little more, which was more support than any other athletes.

Bolloc*s....they would got the same support as bejing plus a little more, which was more support than any other athletes.

nah, they were only "afterthoughts" after Katie.

be honest, in two months time nobody will even remember their names.

are you making this up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

how many thousand is up in Dublin at the minute at the "homecoming" 10,000? 20,000? 30,000?

Oh wait, I think there is about 198 people there.
    Nobody could get there because they shut down all the roads at 6am for some stupid reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No they weren't, a lot of people were looking forward to seeing John Joe and Darren O'Neill box on the first day of the Olympics. Katie didn't appear until the second week and by that time the boxing had taken off with wins for John Joe, Adam Nolan (tho was later beaten), Darren O'Neill (ditto), Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan.

I haven't forgotten the names of Ronnie Delaney, John Treacy, Wayne McCullough, Michael Carruth, Sonia O'Sullivan, Paddy Barnes, Darren Sutherland and Kenny Egan. I will be adding this years medal winners to the list!

are you making this up?

no

kfallon wrote: »
    No they weren't, a lot of people were looking forward to seeing John Joe and Darren O'Neill box on the first day of the Olympics. Katie didn't appear until the second week and by that time the boxing had taken off with wins for John Joe, Adam Nolan (tho was later beaten), Darren O'Neill (ditto), Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan.

I haven't forgotten the names of Ronnie Delaney, John Treacy, Wayne McCullough, Michael Carruth, Sonia O'Sullivan, Paddy Barnes, Darren Sutherland and Kenny Egan. I will be adding this years medal winners to the list!

Im not saying you will forget the name Katie Taylor - nobody will - she has won numerous competitions.

I'm talking about the "also rans". Can you remember the "also ran's" in all the other olympics?

Its a fact - unless you are a die hard boxing fan (and had been before the Olympics) you will not remember the silver/bronze/fourths/fifths winners in aa couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Im not saying you will forget the name Katie Taylor - nobody will - she has won numerous competitions.

I'm talking about the "also rans". Can you remember the "also ran's" in all the other olympics?

Its a fact - unless you are a die hard boxing fan (and had been before the Olympics) you will not remember the silver/bronze/fourths/fifths winners in aa couple of months.

How do you know that? I can safely say that I will. And I am not a diehard boxing fan. It's not rocket science to remember names. I'm sure if I can do it plenty of people can.

Jelly2 wrote: »
    How do you know that? I can safely say that I will. And I am not a diehard boxing fan. It's not rocket science to remember names. I'm sure if I can do it plenty of people can.

its easy to say when you have google. :D

its easy to say when you have google. :D

Or I might just have a good memory!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I just named out our Silver medalists from Barcelona, Sydney and Beijing plus our Bronze Medalists from Beijing :rolleyes:

Lamb of Jaysus!

I just named out our Silver medalists from Barcelona, Sydney and Beijing plus our Bronze Medalists from Beijing :rolleyes:

Lamb of Jaysus!

You were talking about the other medal winners. Now you're stretching it to include all those who finished off the medal table. Of course I won't remember all of them.

Lamb of Jaysus!

what sport was he in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

what sport was he in?

Fence jumping.

kneemos wrote: »
    Fence jumping.

or was it "dodging' the shepherd" :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I dread big events because real news of the intelligent kind gets pushed aside .
    The should list the runners achievements in miles/km per hour with comparisons with the average speeds of domestic cats and dogs .'Teach those Medalled Fools some humility . Ratners Gold ???? 9ct ?

I would just say to the "never-ending supporters" and all this farce about their big homecoming yesterday and the "supporters" going along with it.

I do hope you continue your support now and protest to the govt about no toilet facilities for a young female boxer who came home with a gold medal for Ireland. Would the govt not supply some basic hygiene facilities for her - after all she represented the country well and took gold for it.

You would see the "representatives of the country" up in Dail eireann running to the pub to go to the loo.

So c'mon all ye who are mad to go to all the "homecoming" events - lets show your REAL support - get the placards out and up to Dail Eireann with ye.

somehow I doubt ye will tho - ye're not THAT supportive. are ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I would just say to the "never-ending supporters" and all this farce about their big homecoming yesterday and the "supporters" going along with it.

I do hope you continue your support now and protest to the govt about no toilet facilities for a young female boxer who came home with a gold medal for Ireland. Would the govt not supply some basic hygiene facilities for her - after all she represented the country well and took gold for it.

You would see the "representatives of the country" up in Dail eireann running to the pub to go to the loo.

So c'mon all ye who are mad to go to all the "homecoming" events - lets show your REAL support - get the placards out and up to Dail Eireann with ye.

You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Considering I've been calling for a long time for a revision of our funding model and a dramatic increase in sports funding overall, a comprehensive look at restructuring from the ground up in a lot of sports and a progressive approach to creating a denser competitive field at the top, I don't reckon I'll be stopping now!

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    You.

you, youz, yizzers, whatever :roll eyes:
    question still stands

what have you done?

what have you done?

turned off the tv and radio after "day 2" of the "celebrations". 2 Days was enough - going on ten is a bit bizarre, hence the low turnout yesterday. :D

it was like something out of Fr Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

I do hope you continue your support now and protest to the govt about no toilet facilities for a young female boxer

Yeah never mind that poor bugger with no roof over his/her head but make sure that boxer gets a jax.

turned off the tv and radio after "day 2" of the "celebrations". 2 Days was enough - going on ten is a bit bizarre, hence the low turnout yesterday. :D

it was like something out of Fr Ted.
    I agree with that.....but what have you done that's so admirable in support of irish boxing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement