Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to switch to eircom, not getting anywhere

Options
  • 14-08-2012 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

So, my parents have been having some problems trying to switch to Eircom for the past 3 weeks. They currently have no internet access, and asked me to put up a query here.

They had a line fault with vodafone, and were being repeatedly told it was fixed, when it wasn't working.

They decided to switch after phoning a few vendors over the week since the fault, and speaking to an eircom sales rep who offered a pack of ~50 euro a month for phone and broadband including some free calls. He also promised the connection would be up and running within 48 hours.

They phoned vodafone and told them they were switching, and arranged with the bank to stop the direct debit. They gave all their bank details to the eircom sales person, who said
    1)the line would be fixed the next day
    2)a router would be couriered down to them.
    3)he would handle the switch to eircom

Next day, nothing. Phoned again, confirmed it's all on the way.
    Next week nothing, 3 more phone calls, again told everything is in progress.
    Two weeks later, phone line starts working.
    Still no router for broadband.
    My mum phoned yesterday again and speaks to what sounds like an exceptionally rude person, who raised his voice and said she 'didn't understand anything'. They said she hadn't disconnected from vodafone in the first place, and there was no router on the way, no switching was taking place, and the sales rep can't possibly have said he was handling the switching as that is not what happens. He apparantly told her to disconnect from vodafone and when the service was gone for 20 days, then connect to eircom after filling out some paper form that would be sent for it. We can only guess that she is still connected to vodafone, despite now not paying them. She obviously doesn't want to be without service for 20 days... and tbh sounds weird.

So, what exactly are they supposed to do to start this switching process? as my mother was scared by the shouting person she spoke to yesterday.

I have names of attendants and times of all calls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

pwurple wrote: »
    So, my parents have been having some problems trying to switch to Eircom for the past 3 weeks. They currently have no internet access, and asked me to put up a query here.

They had a line fault with vodafone, and were being repeatedly told it was fixed, when it wasn't working.

They decided to switch after phoning a few vendors over the week since the fault, and speaking to an eircom sales rep who offered a pack of ~50 euro a month for phone and broadband including some free calls. He also promised the connection would be up and running within 48 hours.

They phoned vodafone and told them they were switching, and arranged with the bank to stop the direct debit. They gave all their bank details to the eircom sales person, who said
    1)the line would be fixed the next day
    2)a router would be couriered down to them.
    3)he would handle the switch to eircom

Next day, nothing. Phoned again, confirmed it's all on the way.
    Next week nothing, 3 more phone calls, again told everything is in progress.
    Two weeks later, phone line starts working.
    Still no router for broadband.
    My mum phoned yesterday again and speaks to what sounds like an exceptionally rude person, who raised his voice and said she 'didn't understand anything'. They said she hadn't disconnected from vodafone in the first place, and there was no router on the way, no switching was taking place, and the sales rep can't possibly have said he was handling the switching as that is not what happens. He apparantly told her to disconnect from vodafone and when the service was gone for 20 days, then connect to eircom after filling out some paper form that would be sent for it. We can only guess that she is still connected to vodafone, despite now not paying them. She obviously doesn't want to be without service for 20 days... and tbh sounds weird.

So, what exactly are they supposed to do to start this switching process? as my mother was scared by the shouting person she spoke to yesterday.

I have names of attendants and times of all calls.

Hi pwurple,

First off, let me apologise that the switchover has not gone smoothly up to this point. We'll look into this for you here. What I'll need you to do is send the phone number in a PM and I'll check the status of the order. We can then take it from there. Also, if you could add the time of any calls and names that you might have of people you spoke to. I will try get these calls checked to see what the problem was.

I do know that if you have an active landline with another company, you don't need to cancel the account. The first process you went through sounds like it was done the correct way. Apologies if the next person you got was rude, that's not acceptable for any customer. PM me those details and I'll get this moving for you.

Regards

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi again,

Just a quick follow up from the PM I sent yesterday. Have checked into the initial fault report for you and it seems to have been resolved on 8/8/12. I can see that the initial fault was caused by damage done to the line by a third party. I hope this end of things is back in order now but if the fault does return (doubtful as they have replaced the faulty section of cable) let us know here and we can escalate it quickly since it would be a repeat fault.

Regards

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This is still ongoing.. The phone fault was resolved, but no broadband as yet. Can't figure out what is going on, and the operators refuse to put us through to a supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

This is still ongoing.. The phone fault was resolved, but no broadband as yet. Can't figure out what is going on, and the operators refuse to put us through to a supervisor.

Thanks pwurple,

I see that you are possibly using a non-eircom modem.
    Can you ensure that you have entered the correct eircom PPPoE settings on your router :

Username - eircom@eircom.net

Password - broadband1

Encapsulation - PPPoE

Multiplexing - LLC Based

VPI = 8
    VCI = 35

Primary DNS - 159.134.0.1

Secondary DNS - 159.134.0.2

For details on how to configure your modem with these settings, please refer to your modem’s setup guide (usually found in the support section of your modem manufacturer’s web page).

Setting op 3rd Party Modems

If you are still experiencing a connection issue, try to complete the following quick broadband check, if possible :

Quick Broadband Check

If you need further assistance, contact :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Let me know if you need further assistance

Best Regards,
    Ant

They don't have a modem... They threw out the vodafone one when they disconnected from vodafone, as an eircom one was supposed to arrive.

As mentioned earlier, they are expecting an eircom one to be delivered. They were told it would arrive by courier.

Is this not en route either?

Edit, they are over a month without broadband... why is this taking so long? Is this the normal switchover timeline?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

They don't have a modem... They threw out the vodafone one when they disconnected from vodafone, as an eircom one was supposed to arrive.

As mentioned earlier, they are expecting an eircom one to be delivered. They were told it would arrive by courier.

Is this not en route either?

Edit, they are over a month without broadband... why is this taking so long? Is this the normal switchover timeline?

Hi pwurple,

I see James is looking into this with you as well via PM. He is going to arrange a new modem and will be in contact soon.

Best Wishes,
    Ant

No sign of any modem in thursday, friday or saturday's post. Can anyone find out if this has been sent yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

No sign of any modem in thursday, friday or saturday's post. Can anyone find out if this has been sent yet?

Hi pwurple,

I am following up on the status of the modem for you. Can you confirm did you request to send it to your home address or would you prefer a business / alternate address?

Thanks, Mark

Home address. There is no other address. No sign of it again in this mornings post. Has it been sent and got lost, or not sent at all?

Home address. There is no other address. No sign of it again in this mornings post. Has it been sent and got lost, or not sent at all?

Hi pwurple,

Our systems show it should have been issued, I am tracking it now to see if I can locate it.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,
    Was it issued yet? Post has come and gone again today, still nothing.

Hi Mark,
    Was it issued yet? Post has come and gone again today, still nothing.

Hi pwurple,

I have confirmed there has been a delay in modems being issued. They have confirmed it has been sent out earlier today and you should receive by Friday at the latest.

I will check it tomorrow and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark... this is some shockingly bad turnaround for switching though. Over 6 weeks now.. and another 4 days you think.

I really really hope my parents aren't charged for this non-existant broadband for this month! :(

Thanks Mark... this is some shockingly bad turnaround for switching though. Over 6 weeks now.. and another 4 days you think.

I really really hope my parents aren't charged for this non-existant broadband for this month! :(

Hi pwurple

I will definitely look into some measure of rebate given the delay when you receive the modem and the broadband is up an running. Would it be easier to re-direct the modem to a business address?

Mark

I don't think a business address make any difference to the delivery? My mother works from home, she is there every single day (running up a huge 3G bill at the moment trying to check her email on her phone)

I don't think a business address make any difference to the delivery? My mother works from home, she is there every single day (running up a huge 3G bill at the moment trying to check her email on her phone)

Hi pwurple,

Ok, I am tacking it and pushing it to to be received asap. I will check it and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

I have confirmed there has been a delay in modems being issued. They have confirmed it has been sent out earlier today and you should receive by Friday at the latest.

I will check it tomorrow and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark
    Ok, I am tacking it and pushing it to to be received asap. I will check it and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, I really don't understand this, I thought you confirmed it was sent out earlier yesterday? How can you push for it to be received if it has already been sent out?

Has it not been sent afterall?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 meandmypalimmy

and with eircom, you probably wont go anywhere.

Hi Mark, I really don't understand this, I thought you confirmed it was sent out earlier yesterday? How can you push for it to be received if it has already been sent out?

Has it not been sent afterall?

Hi pwurple,

I can confirm the modem is on the way. I have PM you with the details.

Thanks, Mark

Hi pwurple,

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

I phoned eircom customer service myself this morning with my mum, and they tell me nothing has been sent yet.

What the heck is going on?

• Advertisement

Mark,

I tried my own eircom modem on their supply as well on Saturday, and even though they have signed up to the 8MB package, they were receiving only 0.3MB down, and 0.2MB up.

Still no router arrived today. Not really believing this switchover will ever happen at this stage.

Mark,

I tried my own eircom modem on their supply as well on Saturday, and even though they have signed up to the 8MB package, they were receiving only 0.3MB down, and 0.2MB up.

Still no router arrived today. Not really believing this switchover will ever happen at this stage.

Hi pwurple.

I can guarantee the modem is on i'ts way.

REF:

EIRP000194654

The speed showing with the modem is showing very low.

Last sync: 192kbps
    Provisioned: 160-8192kbps

Can you insure it is configured to the correct eircom settings - http://bit.ly/OM1Mgf

Thanks, Mark

Hi mark, i was over there at the weekend, not there now to test, but I get high speeds in my own house with the same modem, so I doubt the settings need changing for theirs.

The neighbours on both sides, and the people opposite tell me they have faults logged for the seed dropping also. I guess we will see when / if the modem ever arrives.

Can you PM me the tracking number please.

Still no modem today. Is there a tracking number? If there is no tracking number, I'd be fairly sure it still hasn't been sent.

Still no modem today. Is there a tracking number? If there is no tracking number, I'd be fairly sure it still hasn't been sent.

Hi pwurple,

Just to confirm the modem was out via our courier today. Have you received it as yet?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Hi pwurple,

Just to confirm the modem was out via our courier today. Have you received it as yet?

Thanks, Mark

It seems like a shambolic process to switch over. i feel so sorry for the op having gone through an awful process.

Any issue I have with eircom, I immediately raise a complaint with the complaints dept. Wait for unsatisfactory action..it never gets resolved. Just wait the agreed time...I think its about a week. I then lodge a complaint with ComReg relating my complaint reference number from eircom. its like magic the way it gets sorted.

:-D

Hi pwurple,

Hi pwurple,

Thanks, Mark
    Hi pwurple.

I can guarantee the modem is on i'ts way.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks, Mark

After all these guarantees above about it being on the way, and the many many others over the phone, plus complaints, it finally arrived today at my parents house. Hurrah. 2 Months after they were told switching would take 48 hours.

Got to say, this has completely put me off dealing with eircom. I will be avoiding and certainly not recommending. What the hell happened with this switchover?

They now face into the next battle of trying to refund the last two months of service they didn't receive, and any further issues with speed.

After all these guarantees above about it being on the way, and the many many others over the phone, plus complaints, it finally arrived today at my parents house. Hurrah. 2 Months after they were told switching would take 48 hours.

Got to say, this has completely put me off dealing with eircom. I will be avoiding and certainly not recommending. What the hell happened with this switchover?

They now face into the next battle of trying to refund the last two months of service they didn't receive, and any further issues with speed.

Hi pwurple,

We were unable to issue the broadband order until the broadband with the other provider was ceased, which was done on the 22/08/12. We issued the broadband order that same day. It was completed / activated on our systems on the 29/08/12. Which was well winthin the standard time-frame.

I appreciate there has been the modem issue. So given that situation our complaints department issued a credit for 1 full months broadband service €24.78 exc Vat / €29.98 Inc Vat.

Which has already been applied and will show on the bill you receive dated the 06/09/12.

Thanks, Mark

Mark, i hope you also appreciate the communication disconnect between the eircom sales team and the eircom technical team.

It does cause problems for customers when they are told one thing by sales and something completely different by technical.

In this case, the customer was told by sales that switching takes 48 hours and you don't need to do anything else, it will be taken care of by eircom. They now know that switching takes at least 7 days and can't start until you have put a cancellation order through to the other company. And that a modem needs to be asked for seperately. None of this was apparant from that first call, or even from the fourth call.

Whether the techincal team completed their part within timelines really doesn't make a jot of difference to the customer, as bottom line, they still had no broadband for two months when they were told, by eircom sales that they would have it in 48 hours. The process as a whole needs to be completed correctly, including sales.

• Advertisement

Mark, i hope you also appreciate the communication disconnect between the eircom sales team and the eircom technical team.

It does cause problems for customers when they are told one thing by sales and something completely different by technical.

In this case, the customer was told by sales that switching takes 48 hours and you don't need to do anything else, it will be taken care of by eircom. They now know that switching takes at least 7 days and can't start until you have put a cancellation order through to the other company. And that a modem needs to be asked for seperately. None of this was apparant from that first call, or even from the fourth call.

Whether the techincal team completed their part within timelines really doesn't make a jot of difference to the customer, as bottom line, they still had no broadband for two months when they were told, by eircom sales that they would have it in 48 hours. The process as a whole needs to be completed correctly, including sales.

Hi pwurple,

I appreciate your point. However we were unable to process the broadband order until the broadband service with the other company was ceased.

I will need to check that with managers with our winback department and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement