Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatically connecting to the Internet/setting Eircom as network

Options
  • 14-08-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Hi I received a new modem today and connected it.
    (Windows 7, Sony Vaio)

I was having trouble connecting, so when I called Eircom they told me I had to click on Eircom in the connections box, then type in my Security Key, which I did-and I was able to access the Internet.
    However, I closed the lid of my laptop for a while and when I opened it back up, it was saying NOT CONNECTED, so I clicked on Eircom again in the connections box and it connected me.

Do I have to keep doing this to get Internet?
    The guy on the phone was telling me that it should have prompted me to set Eircom as my home network, but it didn't.

So to summarise:

How do I set Eircom as my default network?
    How do I set it so that I don't have to keep going into the connections box and clicking Eircom to connect?
    When I open my laptop lid, after it being closed, I should have Internet access straight away

Sorry for the long winded explanation :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

fussyonion wrote: »
    Hi I received a new modem today and connected it.
    (Windows 7, Sony Vaio)

I was having trouble connecting, so when I called Eircom they told me I had to click on Eircom in the connections box, then type in my Security Key, which I did-and I was able to access the Internet.
    However, I closed the lid of my laptop for a while and when I opened it back up, it was saying NOT CONNECTED, so I clicked on Eircom again in the connections box and it connected me.

Do I have to keep doing this to get Internet?
    The guy on the phone was telling me that it should have prompted me to set Eircom as my home network, but it didn't.

So to summarise:

How do I set Eircom as my default network?
    How do I set it so that I don't have to keep going into the connections box and clicking Eircom to connect?
    When I open my laptop lid, after it being closed, I should have Internet access straight away

Sorry for the long winded explanation :o

Hi fussyonion,

It seems like what you need here is to set this as your default network. We don't use Windows 7 in here so I have shamelessly borrowed some pics from other sites to demonstrate for you:

• Click the "Network" icon on the bottom right and then right click the eircom network and hit "Properties"
    From http://ww2.justanswer.com
    2010-07-05_120918_geierfig01.jpg

• Clicking "Properties" will bring up this dialogue box:
    From www.chasms.com
    original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

• Make sure that "Connect automatically when this network is in range" is ticked

• Also check that "Connect to a more preferred network if available" us unticked

• Click OK and you should be sorted.

Also, if you have any other wireless networks in the list, ensure their ticked boxes are the opposite to the eircom network. If this doesn't do the job, try deleting the wireless profile and setting it up from scratch again.This should resolve it for you. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Regards

James

Advertisement