Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does holiday pay work for part timers?

• 14-08-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was employed on a part-time contract basis from November to 1 June (Post-Primary sector) and was paid on an hourly basis.

I signed on when I finished and have just got a letter back from the social welfare to say that I don't qualify for assistance as my pay when working included an amount for holiday pay.

Just wondering if anyone there knows how it works?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It was my understanding that the hourly rate for part-time teachers was relatively high to account for them not being paid for the summer so I imagine that is the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

RealJohn wrote: »
    It was my understanding that the hourly rate for part-time teachers was relatively high to account for them not being paid for the summer so I imagine that is the issue.

Yeah, pretty much this.

If you work as a sub for the full school year, you get the same money as a teacher of a similar pay grade on a permanent contract does over 12 months, except you get it over 9 months.
    Ie, they 26 cheques, you get 18 cheques (give or take)

To take into account the fact you don't get paid over summer, Easter, Xmas & the half terms, there is 56% holiday pay included in your pay cheque.
    (most of which is eaten up by tax)

Summer is the hardest as you have to budget for 12 weeks with no money coming in.

I usually do contract work for the SEC in June & July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Zizigirl

Hi

I was part time for a number of years and each year I would sign on beginning of june but for the first three weeks or so did not receive any money. In fact it was always August before claim was processed but letter would say 'payment from 22nd or 23rd june'.

I was on unemployment benefit and they looked at 56% of hours worked since last sign on (easter hols usually) which translated into weeks, ie 22 hours = 1 week.

I always signed on, even for mid terms, and usually didn't get payment for mid terms due to holiday hours accrued. Others said I was a bit mad if I wasn't getting paid but it meant in summer I would receive. As I said, I was on benefit rather than assistance.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭faughs

Hey. I am the exact same as zizi. I have always signed on on holidays. Have on some occasions got 40 or 50 eur for midterms and such and I always get full welfare payment in summer holidays. It may take a while to be processed but you are definitely entitled to it, especially if you have accrued tax credits in the previous year.

Advertisement