Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New visa besides 457

Options
  • 14-08-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Im in a serious dilemma
    I work as a Fitter for a company who offered to nominate me for residency to get me off sponsorship as they want to cut down the amount of sponsored employees due to down sizing
    This was no trouble i just needed to apply for Trade Recognition Australia(TRA) to get my trades recognized - should have no problem and was expecting a overall answer on residency by now
    Now TRA have sent notification that they no longer process my Trade and i must now go through Vetessess a process which will take approximately 3 months :eek:
    plus residency process time which could put me back for a answer until the new year
    My problem is that i could be unemployed by then so ruins the chance of residency:(
    I know everyone is going to say just transfer my sponsorship to a new company but i had my heart set on residency and and in a case of moving to a new unknown employer where id be tied to due to my 457
    Is there any other Visa that i could apply for is basically what im asking? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

How long are you on a 457 visa. I think the case was that if you were on a 457 for 2 years or more, you didn't need to do a skills assessment. I'm not sure if this changed last month or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Have you already used your WHV?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

can you get an employer sponsored permanent resident visa? i think it used to be called an 8** i think:confused: or has it been done away with?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Have you already used your WHV?
    I used around 6 months of my first year whv,i have over 88 days done in regional area before i went 457 i wonder can i still apply for 2nd year whv?

sponge_bob wrote: »
    can you get an employer sponsored permanent resident visa? i think it used to be called an 8** i think:confused: or has it been done away with?

Thats what im going for but i think i may be let go before that assessment is completed

I used around 6 months of my first year whv,i have over 88 days done in regional area before i went 457 i wonder can i still apply for 2nd year whv?

You will as long as you are still under 31, but you will have to go offshore to NZ or Bali for it to be granted.... trick is because so many people abused it they are checking 2nd WHV visa so what should have taken days is going take weeks/months. Honest Joe's like yourself lose out at times like these.

Your other options is maybe take a month holiday back in Ireland apply for the 2nd WHV hope to get it through, head back out and do your assessment and apply for 186.

Thats what im going for but i think i may be let go before that assessment is completed

You need to do the assessment if you haven't done 2 years with the sponsoring employer now before you they can nom you for a 186, once you get the assessment and they employer is ready to go then I reckon its only going be a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Thanks Mandrake04 your a great help
    Could i not just apply for 2nd year visa and if its granted just leave Oz and come back to grant it?

Just had a thought, I know the 2nd WHV visa can be lodged while onshore on first 417 but you should check if you can lodge it onshore from a 457. It might save you a trip out of the country, its a pretty oddball case but worth contacting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Just had a thought, I know the 2nd WHV visa can be lodged while onshore on first 417 but you should check if you can lodge it onshore from a 457. It might save you a trip out of the country, its a pretty oddball case but worth contacting someone.

You can definitely lodge a 2nd WHV application from a 457 onshore and there's no need to leave for it to be granted. If you qualify for the 2nd WHV then that's definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Just be careful you dont break any terms of your current visa or you could be deported. Ring DIAC and talk with them and theyll tell you what you can and cannot do. Best of luck. Trying to get a 457 here myself with my partner but its proving so difficult. Still not giving up. There are many ways of staying here if you really want to.

Advertisement