Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday in Western Australia..

Options
  • 14-08-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Going to visit friends in Perth in a few months, will be there for 2-3 weeks and want to go on a roadtrip for few days any recommendations where to go? head south or north? iv heard great things about both.. thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Define a few days. Four or less then head south (to Margaret River and the surrounding area) purely because it's at least five and a half hours drive until you hit something worth stopping at for a period of time if you go north (Kalbarri).

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

cheers, well maybe 3-5 days or so... not too sure yet..

In that case I'd say go south. Leave Perth early enough and you can be in Margaret River for about 10am. It's a fantastic spot if you like wineries, cheese and chocloate factories, and breweries.

Also only a short hop to both Dunsborough and Buesselton (the 2km jetty there is worth a look), and the scenery in general is top notch.

It is a few degrees cooler than Perth being further south, though as you say you're coming in a few months which will be towards summer you might be glad of that!

great thanks, i have googled few places the south looks lovely and that Margaret River place sounds perfect! if i had a week would visiting the north be nicer though...? so hard to decide everywhere looks fab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I did the "ring of the south west" about 5 yrs ago. If I recall, I left Perth, headed to Margs, Augusta, stayed the night there, over the next few days went as far as Esperance, stopping in Walpole and Albany, went up to Kalgoorlie from Esperance, stayed the night just due to the time we arrived, and back to Perth

• Advertisement

Gal44 wrote: »
    great thanks, i have googled few places the south looks lovely and that Margaret River place sounds perfect! if i had a week would visiting the north be nicer though...? so hard to decide everywhere looks fab

IMO yes, north is nicer. I've done nearly all the main spots between Perth and Broome and loved every one.

If you have a week there's two suggestions I'd put forward -

1. Drive from Perth to Kalbarri in one hit (five and a half hours). Go see Nature's Window and the surrounding canyons and stay the night. The next day head for Shark Bay and stay in Denham. Really beautiful spot and very relaxing. It's also only 20 minutes from Monkey Mia where you can go watch the wild dolphins being fed in the morning. It's a resort as well so if you have the cash then maybe stay there.

The return drive to Perth is about eight hours if you do it straight (which I did and it's not *that* bad). Maybe stop and have a look at Geraldton on the way back which is a little city roughly halfway.

2. Fly to Exmouth. It's just over an hour from Perth and not too expensive with Skywest. I stayed a week and it's one of the best places I've ever been to. I also went whale shark swimming which is even cooler in person than it looks! Some nice restaurants and bars there, and it's cheap to rent a car if you want to go out of the town a bit. There's some fantastic snorkelling there as well, loads of tropical fish and the like on the reefs.

Both of those for me were better than my trips down south, but that's just a personal preferance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Just to confuse you I say go North to Coral bay. This is a huge drive (Takes about 12 hours) North of Perth but it is well worth it. Its right on the Ningaloo reef which is one of the best unspoiled coral reefs in the world. You can go snorkeling from the beach and will see loads of fish swimming all around you and the reef is really near to the shore. I defiantly recommend you take a glass bottom snorkeling tour too. Beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭coldpaw

Hey,

Decided id jump in here- im living in Sydney but my brother is comign to visit me from the old country in December. Trying to toss up what people would recommend with about 8 days to play with. Will it be wet season in WA. Would love to go to Broome and Kimberly but hear that's its not the time of year to visit. Would heading up from Perth north be viable weather wise and time wise?

And of course its personal preference but if people could choose a week in WA or week in NZ South island???

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CastlebarMan

I recommend that you don't bother with Broome, unless you like red necks and very drunks natives.

thanks! i love the sound of the coral bay sounds lovely.i would definitely like to try head there, 12 hour drive is it i guess theres stuff to look at on route ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Stayed in a place called Bunker Bay in 2009 near Margaret River one of the most sensational beaches I have ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

coldpaw wrote: »

And of course its personal preference but if people could choose a week in WA or week in NZ South island???

Cheers

I'd take the week in S.NZ, Queenstown is awesome for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I'd take the week in S.NZ, Queenstown is awesome for a holiday.

Just make sure to bring plenty cash, it's not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Definitely go North. Amazing beaches, reefs, and glorious weather. Coral Bay & Ningaloo ftw

Advertisement