Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever set fire to something?

• 14-08-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My mate and I are restoring an old motorbike and he accidentally set fire to the engine when it was on the bench covered in paint stripper. Fcukin' WOW is all I can say. Flames were licking the ceiling!! Scary stuff but managed to get the fire out and it only cost me my new jacket:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

I burned a match once, CRAZY stuff, burnt my finger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Loads of things.

Turf Briquettes. Coal. Wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Set fire to a barley field behind out estate once with a friend of mine. Fire brigade were called in and everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Was cleaning out my BBQ. Poured petrol on it a lit it. Wow I totally under estimated how fiercly petrol burns. Was scarey tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Burnt down a forest when I was around 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I put a bar of chocolate in the microwave and the wrapper caught fire. If that counts?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Loads of things.

Me too! Right pair of arsonists aren't we :p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

burned a shed in a back garden of someones house ( the owner passed away left it to his sun ) me and me mates would jump his back wall go into his shed and drink, it was deadly , it was like a hotel suit with beds tables chairs and carpet , wasnt exactly clean but was nearly sound proof so no guards :D ended up dropped a smoke onto one of the beds, i was gee eyed , didnt react to it just left it thinkin it wud burn out
    well it ended up burnin the whole shed out

never got caught :D all boarded up now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

A church in Norway

The grill, the hob, the bin, the toaster, my friend's hair, nothing out of the ordinary.

The cat set his own tail on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Loads of things.

REALLY? Don't you have people for that like we do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

burned me dinner last night, got a take-away instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Burned a hole in my pocket many a time ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

In a forest near my town and found a plastic pony and a one of those big plastic cars. Set fire to both and like a phoenix it the pony went flying down a hill into some shrubbery. Long story short i nearly set fire to the towns forest. Luckily i had a bag (with a hole in it) so i ran up and down getting water from a river. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

My first car

Somethings, like fuel line leaks and surgery on small animals shouldn't fall under the D.I.Y. category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I lived in cork for a few months 2 years ago. There a day and I managed to set fire to the kitchen. Scary stuff

My dad was really weary of me moving out, I always burn food, smoke alarms go off once a day. He says when the phone rings at night he's convinced its to be told I've burned the place down.

A few weeks ago I was going to bed and thought I'd get a glass of water, decided not to, got into bed. Was really thirsty so went into the kitchen, I had left the hob thing on and the oven tray on top of it. By the time I realised, the kitchen was full of smoke, few flames on the tray, the whole thing was mangled out of shape. Thank god I was thirsty, my smoke alarm wasn't working. Sometimes my parents ring me to remind me to check the oven before bed! I won't even say how many times I've set this kitchen up in flames

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

davet82 wrote: »
    burned me dinner last night, got a take-away instead

the curry i got last night burned the hole off me this morning so technically i burned two things in 24 hours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

I remember when I was about 9 and my brother would of been 12, we went to the green around the cornor from our house, on the far side was a car that had been robbed and dumped there. We went up to it, opened it and took a look inside. It was full of sick, empty cans, and smoke butts. We searched it and found a small amount of change. My brother then found a box of matches and then stared to light the back seat on fire, once it caught fire and really started to smoke we bolted home and watched the fire brigade come to put it out. He went on to burn many things for many years after it, Wheelie bins was a fav and I'm sure it was him who also burned down part of the school he was kicked out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Lots of action men figures when I was a kid. Burn G.I Joe!!! They served as wounded and scarred veterans afterwards.

Most entertaining when you are seven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cantdecide wrote: »
    My mate and I are restoring an old motorbike and he accidentally set fire to the engine when it was on the bench covered in paint stripper. Fcukin' WOW is all I can say. Flames were licking the ceiling!! Scary stuff but managed to get the fire out and it only cost me my new jacket:rolleyes:

I lit up my wife's heart - and she mine! :o

Wanna bucket? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I used to burn woodlice with a magnifying glass.

The innocent mind of a child...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Throwing aerosol cans in a refuse fire and running away was my fave thing to do :)

Nearly burned forestry years ago, and nearly set fire to my student house lighting the fire with petrol.

cantdecide wrote: »
    REALLY? Don't you have people for that like we do?

I did. But immigration caught up with him so we burned him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aerosol cans, petrol bottles, turf, coal, bonfires (I got good at lighting them, even if they were damp from the rain), food packaging (the cartoon the garlic chips came in), to list a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

A industrial factory, 300 people lost there jobs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I cant stop burning things. Please help me! I burned down Alf Stewarts R**e dungeon now hes going to kill me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I used to burn woodlice with a magnifying glass.

haha me too, first signs of being a sociopath......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Yes everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Can't say, I've burned much in my life. But I had a friend who hit the jackpot. As a kid he was playing around near a large old warehouse near the docks in Dublin. He lit a fire using rubbish near the building. But the sparks got on the roof and it went up in flames. It was a huge fire like something you'd see in footage of a war. Every fire brigade in Dublin was fighting it. I remember it because you could see the black smoke from all over Dublin and it featured on the news. He was horrified at what he did and went into hiding until it got dark. But he was paranoid about every knock on the door for a long time afterward.

Something similar happened in my area. Some kids were playing around the local school hall which was a big building. A window was open and one boy lit the curtains. It was a massive blaze again with black smoke rising up into the sky. Completely burnt out. At one point a Cessna light aircraft appeared and flew around watching the spectacle. Then it accidently flew straight into the black cloud of smoke. The watching crowd gasped in horror as no doubt did the occupants of the plane. But it escaped unharmed. Great excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Burnt the kitchen in one house I lived in.

The next house I moved to, the entire top floor went up in flames. Thank you Mother Nature for letting the sun shine that day. Otherwise, the kids would have been upstairs in their rooms. Local fire brigade still have the photos of that house fire on their website even though it was 8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Well I was on fire at football last night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

My brothers try light their farts at least once a month......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

syndeyfife wrote: »

Only 'try'......pfffffft amateurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The bathroom floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A barley field once. Kinda by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

A can of lynx and a lighter... Hours of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My pants after quite a hot curry.

We had an old gas cooker which had a button to spark the hob / grill / oven when you turn a knob. Our cat managed to tear the cable out so we always had to use matches to light it.

The grill was always the worst to light. One time, while trying to put on some tasty chicken burgers, I had the match up to the grill but it just wouldn't ignite. Sure enough, I left it too long and a big ball of flame engulfed my eyebrows.

Rotten smell of burnt hair stunk out the kitchen. Chicken burgers were still nice, though, even if I had bits of burnt hair falling onto my plate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

On a serious note mate I'd get post its etc.. to remind yourself to check things, before going to bed etc... know of a friend of a friend who died in a house fire and didn't have working smoke alarm
    I lived in cork for a few months 2 years ago. There a day and I managed to set fire to the kitchen. Scary stuff

My dad was really weary of me moving out, I always burn food, smoke alarms go off once a day. He says when the phone rings at night he's convinced its to be told I've burned the place down.

A few weeks ago I was going to bed and thought I'd get a glass of water, decided not to, got into bed. Was really thirsty so went into the kitchen, I had left the hob thing on and the oven tray on top of it. By the time I realised, the kitchen was full of smoke, few flames on the tray, the whole thing was mangled out of shape. Thank god I was thirsty, my smoke alarm wasn't working. Sometimes my parents ring me to remind me to check the oven before bed! I won't even say how many times I've set this kitchen up in flames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Some mates of mine couldn't get a campfire going last night, and as I arrived down they bet me I couldn't do any better (After me slagging them for not being able to do it.) Of course, they forgot that I'm a fire breather, and my bag was full of all my stuff. So out came my torch and my fuel, and then we had a nice little fire going for a while! :D And it looked really really cool creating a campfire from my mouth! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Have you a really bad memory or are you just an incredibly bad cook? It's hard to burn food. And other stuff.

I know this chubby burd what tried to set fire to the rain once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

A very large teddy bear in the wardrobe in my younger brother's bedroom while he was asleep when I was about 6 or 7, I shut the wardrobe door, went back to my room and went to bed hoping the "problem" would go away.

Fortunately (and I can't stress that word enough) one of my parents had to go to the toilet and smelled the smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kitchen sink
    Bathtub
    Fireplace
    Patio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Are they named Terence and Philip by any chance?

Knex. wrote: »
    Are they named Terence and Philip by any chance?

Who names their farts? :eek:

Weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Gas containers, aerosol cans, 1 or maybe 2 cars mine not stolen , shed, a few hay bales also mine, few old trees , hedges and some tyres best was the containers cause they blew and never found some of them they went that far.
    Fireworks in a microwave seemed good at the time:D
    Fireworks in an old washing machine it blew the door off and set my jumper on fire wow was all I thought :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement