Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever set fire to something?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

The microwave.

Cooking a frozen ciabatta bread at 3am, drunk. Still works though despite the fire damage, so no harm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

A church in Norway

Count Grishnackh, is that you? :D

My only victim was a dustbin, I was young and stuff :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm always arson about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Spent a summer working for a well known department store in the childrenswear department.

It didn't go well, probably cause I was too focused on repeating college exams and daydreaming about a girl who had no interest in me.

Job ended badly, was so enraged with it and everythign else that I tried to set the work issue t-shirt on fire when I finished working there.

It didn't take, technically I set fire to it, just couldn't destroy it.

Brother still wears that t-shirt for yard work.

TL:DR - tried to burn a t-shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

One of our kids likes cooking stuff and wandering off to the other side of the house, because she's got the attention span of a lettuce. She only goes back to the kitchen when the smoke-alarm goes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

ejmaztec wrote: »
    One of our kids likes cooking stuff and wandering off to the other side of the house, because she's got the attention span of a lettuce. She only goes back to the kitchen when the smoke-alarm goes off.
    You made me spit out my tea! :D Haha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Davehopper

All the time. Love the sense of power from starting a wave of power, watching the red waves dance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Guill wrote: »
    Was cleaning out my BBQ. Poured petrol on it a lit it. Wow I totally under estimated how fiercly petrol burns. Was scarey tbh.

WTF did you do that for? Are you a pyromaniac or just plain nuts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I lived in cork for a few months 2 years ago. There a day and I managed to set fire to the kitchen. Scary stuff

My dad was really weary of me moving out, I always burn food, smoke alarms go off once a day. He says when the phone rings at night he's convinced its to be told I've burned the place down.

A few weeks ago I was going to bed and thought I'd get a glass of water, decided not to, got into bed. Was really thirsty so went into the kitchen, I had left the hob thing on and the oven tray on top of it. By the time I realised, the kitchen was full of smoke, few flames on the tray, the whole thing was mangled out of shape. Thank god I was thirsty, my smoke alarm wasn't working. Sometimes my parents ring me to remind me to check the oven before bed! I won't even say how many times I've set this kitchen up in flames

Get a damn smoke alarm and a damn carbon monoxide alarm before we are reading about you in the obituaries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm a bit of a pyromaniac, have set fire to lots of random things over the years, nothing too big though and always in the middle of nowhere.

I do have a cousin about my age. We only met a few times but one time I was staying with his family and the of us were hanging around. He nicked a box of matches and we spent most of the afternoon burning stuff in some randomer's back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

A few years ago I set fire to one of our fields which was full of dry straw, I just wanted to see what it was like and I never saw anything go up in flames so quickly, luckily my mother was there she's not to bad in situations like this so there was a load of clay in the corner of the field and we went back and forth throwing it onto the straw it went out fairly quickly, thank god the father wasn't there or he would have killed me, he still doesn't know to this day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Lars1916 wrote: »
    A church in Norway

Count Grishnackh, is that you? :D

My only victim was a dustbin, I was young and stuff :rolleyes:

Yeah I decided to move to Ireland, the justice system here would accept that I killed euronymous in self defence :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Yeah I decided to move to Ireland, the justice system here would accept that I killed euronymous in self defence :P

Sure they let anyone into Ireland

Mph mphmm mm mm mm, mm mm phmm phmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Not me, but I use to work in a bookies, and there was this guy who use to come alot who was a bit of a stoner, or else a bit dim, we never figured it out. But one day he was in the toilets and we heard shouting, only to see him come running out of the toilets with his hair on fire.
    He was sweating and decided to dry his hair under the hand drier, he must of had some hair products in his hair for it to catch on fire.

I never laughed so much in my life and every time I could never get the picture out of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Accidently set fire to my garden fence and then the big tree beside it when I was burning some woodworm infested wood. Heard my neighbour on the phone in the next house and I thought he was calling the fire bridage cause the three was 30 ft tall and you could see the flames from the main road :eek:. Needless to say ran around the tree and fence like a madman with the garden hose aand managed to put it out eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Throwing aerosol cans in a refuse fire and running away was my fave thing to do :)

Try a Bottle of gas in a camp fire. Blew windows out 300 meters away :o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Yes and it was unforgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

A Badger... it ran out in front of my friend's car and we clipped it, it was Saturday night and we were hitting the town so we just did an "Ooohh Fauck" and kept going. When we parked up we saw the damage to the fairing under the bumper but we just did another "Ooohh Fauck" and hit the town. Much later that evening / very early the next morning, and quite the bit more intoxicated, we were returning home from the town and saw said badger's remains aside the road-verge where we'd clipped him prior. My friend and I, now back seat passengers to his sober brother, looked at each other and said "Oooh Fauck" and ordered the car to stop. We got out to inspect the badger and found that, other than being dead, he'd come out of the whole thing completely unschathed. Upset by this, my friend returned to his car and found a can of lighter fluid and proceeded to douse the unfortunate beast. Without instruction I took out a box of matches(it was the 90's,ok?) lit one and tossed it on to the carcus and up it went, all smoke and flame! We jumped in to the auld festie and tore off back the road..."OOOHH FAUCK":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Myself and a friend once burned down a tea hut on a building site. We were about ten at the time and bored. After we lit rubbish in the hut it soon took hold and the whole thing went up like a matchbox. We ran up through the fields behind the site and back around to my house, got out bikes and cycled down to the building site, by that time the fire brigade and guards had arrived. We stood back and watched as the FB doused our handy work. The guards asked us if we were from the area and if we'd seen anyone and of course we hadn't as we were further up the road earlier and just arrived there a few minutes before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

marzic wrote: »
    A Badger... it ran out in front of my friend's car and we clipped it, it was Saturday night and we were hitting the town so we just did an "Ooohh Fauck" and kept going. When we parked up we saw the damage to the fairing under the bumper but we just did another "Ooohh Fauck" and hit the town. Much later that evening / very early the next morning, and quite the bit more intoxicated, we were returning home from the town and saw said badger's remains aside the road-verge where we'd clipped him prior. My friend and I, now back seat passengers to his sober brother, looked at each other and said "Oooh Fauck" and ordered the car to stop. We got out to inspect the badger and found that, other than being dead, he'd come out of the whole thing completely unschathed. Upset by this, my friend returned to his car and found a can of lighter fluid and proceeded to douse the unfortunate beast. Without instruction I took out a box of matches(it was the 90's,ok?) lit one and tossed it on to the carcus and up it went, all smoke and flame! We jumped in to the auld festie and tore off back the road..."OOOHH FAUCK":D

I think you should be on a list somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think you should be on a list somewhere...

everyone's on a list somewhere...
    /adds cantdecide to list... crosses off badger;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I've always had an obsession with fire. From a young age I'd frequently be caught lighting matches, burning paper in the grate and trying to ignite a fire with stones in the garden. I've managed to set fire to a windowsill, almost setfire to my mattress and caused the chimney to go on fire. To this day my parents get worried if they see me holding anything remotely fire/flame related.

marzic wrote: »
    everyone's on a list somewhere...
    /adds cantdecide to list... crosses off badger;)

Round of applause for marzic. He's alright:D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

Me too! Right pair of arsonists aren't we :p.

I burn petrol every day never been caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

We were doing a big demolition job in Cork a few years back and had a huge skip on site which we used for all the waste wood(tonnes and tonnes). It was €700 to get it lifted away. The first few skips we filled, the skip co. lifted and I paid the fee. The fourth skip we filled, when we came in the next day, some kids(?)had set it on fire, and all that was left was a small layer of ash - empty skip. Skip was manky burnt though, all paint gone.
    I phoned up "skipco" and asked what happens now? They said there was a €500 re-painting fee. I had a little think, and sadly, that feckin skip caught fire every single night after that for a couple of weeks. Maybe a month even. Feckin kids eh:D
    When it was finally full of ash(having been filled about 40 times, I got it lifted for the €700 and paid the €500 re-painting fee:D Those kids eh, what can you do?:) Obviously, I imagined this, as I am a mad fantasist, and this sounds very iffy, err Mr skipco, sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sure they let anyone into Ireland

Guess, why I'm here. Me setting the bin on fire was in self defense, too. There were some offensive magazines in there :D

Pottler wrote: »
    We were doing a big demolition job in Cork a few years back and had a huge skip on site which we used for all the waste wood(tonnes and tonnes). It was €700 to get it lifted away. The first few skips we filled, the skip co. lifted and I paid the fee. The fourth skip we filled, when we came in the next day, some kids(?)had set it on fire, and all that was left was a small layer of ash - empty skip. Skip was manky burnt though, all paint gone.
    I phoned up "skipco" and asked what happens now? They said there was a €500 re-painting fee. I had a little think, and sadly, that feckin skip caught fire every single night after that for a couple of weeks. Maybe a month even. Feckin kids eh:D
    When it was finally full of ash(having been filled about 40 times, I got it lifted for the €700 and paid the €500 re-painting fee:D Those kids eh, what can you do?:)

some kids are absolute geniuses ...... thought of the same myself, the kids saved you nearly 20 grand. wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

A playground, a surfboard and probably my favourite would be my friends jeans while they were still on him, actually had to kick him in the balls to put the fire out, that would be a few examples, i was a serious firebug for a while.

My dad burned 1 mile of the grass along the side of the traintracks in harmonstown, trains were delayed, people missed work. Needless to say, he had to lay low for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

some kids are absolute geniuses ...... thought of the same myself, the kids saved you nearly 20 grand. wow
    credit where credit is due, it was over 30k with the Vat. Kids are very efficent down Cork way. I did my best to thank catch them, but sadly, they were very elusive. Little feckers are fairly mobile as well, they've followed me around a fair bit since too. Blighters.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    credit where credit is due, it was over 30k with the Vat. Kids are very efficent down Cork way. I did my best to thank catch them, but sadly, they were very elusive. Little feckers are fairly mobile as well, they've followed me around a fair bit since too. Blighters.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

An aqua park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Yes.....................a hedge.
    When I was a kid and living in London,myself and my friend were playing Fireman.
    We set fire to the hedge and pissed on it,to put the fire out.After a few games of Fireman we ran out of piss :o,and the hedge turned into a raging inferno.It was a massive hedge,surrounding a apartment block.My mate decides the best thing to do ,was to leg it,so he pissed of ran off home ,leaving me to face the music.
    All the neighbour's ran out with basins of water,but could'nt put the fire out.
    I ran in and hid in a wardrobe.20 minutes later a fireman knocked on our door looking for me.He explained in great detail the dangers of setting fire's versus the limited capacity of a child's bladder.
    I have never set fire to anything since,apart from the coal fire and the odd barbecue.

keith16 wrote: »
    An aqua park.

A fire? At a Sea Parks???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I was a little firebug as a kid, fire is exciting, its fun, but thankfully I did no real damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I’m constantly burning tea towels and my sleeves when I’m cooking on the hob…

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

accidentally set a jerry can of petrol on fire when pouring it on a fire, first thing I did was through it up in the air! petrol and fire everywhere! IN A FOREST! It was raining too so it spread all over the mucky ground! took about 20 minutes to get rid of all the flames, my friends have never let me forget it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

21/25

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I lit my girlfriend on fire once and had sex with her, then wrote a shitty song about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

one of those round balleys one halloween i made napalm jelly areo board and petrol.... That was awesome it stuck and burnt into a plastic.
    Were I lived had a lot of scorch marks

A car it was a feild one.. my tree house endless mounts of hedges...
    I like to burn things as a kid so i experement with things like mini camping stoves canisters there awesome :cool:
    Those scare cros that shoot that noise that scares cros off in the country side made one of them into a bazzooka one summers night with tennis balls :cool: that requires fire ( controled explosion ?)

Oo did nay one know you can throw sugar is very good for fires as in candle wax.
    But dont let this fool you I can make a normal fire out of nothing but candle wax a bit of wood and sugar and a couple f lumps of coal and if you have matchs ok but a flint orks just as good..

I like fire, :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Dresden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Dresden.

A bit much. It was a group effort anyway. Don't go claiming all the credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

omahaid wrote: »
    Burnt down a forest when I was around 5

Kinda same - burned a bunch of hedges when I was a kid. All thanks to an unsupervised box of matches :(

Advertisement