Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design Course Dublin

Options
  • 14-08-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi Guys,

I'm a retailler who has just launched and e commerce site. I want to larn Graphic design. I have a bit of an idea of photoshop (self thought and years ago) I can do some of the things I want but can't do others. I want to do an evening course in Dublin that I can brush up on my graphic design skills. Can anybody suggest/recomend any?

Thanks,
    Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Alternatively, try some of the online video based courses at lynda.com. Great value there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

<MOD-NOTE:Moving this here to a more relevant and newer thread>

Hi.

I'm also looking to do an evening graphic design course, did you find a decent one? I'm looking at a 10 week course in DID or a 20 week one (for much less!) in dun laoghaire college of further education. Any opinions on if these are good or not would be much appreciated!

I did Interior design in college so have already done a lot of whats on the 1st year schedule in a 2yr course (life drawing etc) so want to get straight into learning about graphic design if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mark19184

Thanks tricky...site looks good. Will give it a go.

Haven't got much time to research yet jmck...will keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mark19184

http://www.ibat.ie/it-training/desktop-publishing-course.html

Having a look at this one.....looks good....anybody any experiance of this course/college?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ladiesman217

Hi guys
    What this course does is teach people how to use the software that is used by a Graphic Designer in the Graphic design industry. If you learn how to use a chisel, set square and hand saw your not a Carpenter, you just know how to use the tools a Carpenter would use.

There is no mention in the course spec of typography, the use of grids or graphic design history.
    Knowledge of type and type families and grids is key when using indesign.
    To be honest I wouldn't be shelling out €1200 for something you could learn online or on DVD. Amazon sell DVD packs with hours of tutorials on the Creative Suite for €80.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-InDesign-CS5-Training-DVD/dp/B004A8XN16

Good Luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

Thanks!

I've already applied for the graphic illustration course in dun laoghaire college of further education. Hopefully it wont be just how to use the programs but will give me an idea about if it is something I really want to do.

The Dublin Institute of Design looks better but much more expensive. The second year diploma course looks much like what I want to do, so I'm not sure if the cert course plus my degree in Interior design would help me go straight into the 2nd year, if I decide to continue with it. But we shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LanceVance

jmck wrote: »
    Thanks!

I've already applied for the graphic illustration course in dun laoghaire college of further education. Hopefully it wont be just how to use the programs but will give me an idea about if it is something I really want to do.

The Dublin Institute of Design looks better but much more expensive. The second year diploma course looks much like what I want to do, so I'm not sure if the cert course plus my degree in Interior design would help me go straight into the 2nd year, if I decide to continue with it. But we shall see!

How are you getting on with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 3sixty

I would think about this long and hard.

You do the course (evening) and then you have to go and buy some software that all graphic designers use which is indesign not photoshop.

Then after all the the time spent you will end up outsourcing it somewhere in the end as you will not be happy.

I would stick to promoting your site, getting products, etc etc and leave all this stuff to the experts as they usually have gone to college for 3/4 years to learn this.

Better still, offer this work to a graphic design student. It will save you alot of headaches and time.

Advertisement