Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Help !!!

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:04pm
    Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)
    I am going to do my junior cert in 2013 but the thing that was bothering me was that of my subject choices and levels which will have an impact on lc and for the points
    Ok this is what i do currently

Enlgish (H)
    Maths (H)
    Science (H)
    Geog (H)
    History (H)
    Business (H)
    Wood (H)
    Metal (O)
    Italian (H)
    German (H)

Now i have two problems first problem is that i am worried if i have studied to less and i am not upto date

During the Summer i have finished studying all history 1st and 2nd year and all business 1st and 2nd year

And done some algebra and equations maths

And i intend to do geog and science during september and october because i am a very good and easy learner for the 2

And i plan to learn maths at Novemeber and December

And then wood work and Metal on december

And then English and Italian on January and then keep revising all the subjects and incl the 3rd year for business and history not intended to learn german at all

Now english i have not started studying it and i got a D for my summer exam even though i did not study

This is what i think i will get in my JC

Enlgish D
    Maths B OR C
    Science B OR A
    Geog B OR A
    History B OR C
    Business B OR A OR C
    Wood B OR C
    Metal B OR A
    Italian B OR C
    German D

I always am worried that its too less and i am falling way behind even though i have 9 month till my JC

So could anyone tell me if i am on track

Next thing is I am completely worried about is that i find English H very hard and so German
    So if i drop to ordinary level english and german would this impact me on lc because i am intended to take italian for lc but english i am worried even though i will not count it as my six major subjects for the points and i really want to get a region of 500 450 points

So please can anyone give me advise and help
    Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your main problem is that you are already looking for shortcuts for the Leaving Cert (according to your thread in the LC forum) rather than hard work and you're not even in 3rd year yet.

Keep up with your work for 3rd year and stop worrying so much.
    I doubt you are able to do entire courses in one month, if you can, please let the DES know as they have set syllabi that suggest years to cover the material.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭II 2FAST2C II

Lol i know but its just so hard
    And about entire courses trust me i can especially for science and geography and metal and wood but they main thing is i am going to third year in like 2 weeks and i think i have done too less studying and i do know know weather i should keep english or not for higher level

And i also would like to know what chapters you need to study for business and my progress so far is it good or bad should i studied more because by the end of next week i would only had done business 1st and 2nd year and history 1st and 2nd year and a bit of 2nd year maths non of paper 2 but q3 and 4 and 5 of paper 1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If at all possible, try everything at Higher for JC. It gives you more options at LC.

Are you going to do Transition Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Lol i know but its just so hard
    And about entire courses trust me i can especially for science and geography and metal and wood but they main thing is i am going to third year in like 2 weeks and i think i have done too less studying and i do know know weather i should keep english or not for higher level

Why not just work with your class like everyone else, instead of trying to cover everything yourself? If you try to learn a course in a subject in one month, in another month you'll have forgotten most of it. You need to work consistently in all subjects. It would be much better to just cover new material as your class does, and then revise in your study time at home.

And people on the internet can't tell you whether you should change levels in a subject, you should discuss that with your parents/teacher.

• Advertisement

Why not just work with your class like everyone else, instead of trying to cover everything yourself? If you try to learn a course in a subject in one month, in another month you'll have forgotten most of it. You need to work consistently in all subjects. It would be much better to just cover new material as your class does, and then revise in your study time at home.

And people on the internet can't tell you whether you should change levels in a subject, you should discuss that with your parents/teacher.

Yes your right but for history and business my teacher already done it and so did i in class in 1st and 2nd year
    And for geography and science i am a quick learner and i would do all the subjects i have studied so far over and over again every weekend day i would go a over them so i can never forget that is my plan but about english i wanted to know now because obviously i know what my teacher thinks i should not be doing higher level english nor do I
    but i just worry if it will have an impact on lc and points and i do not want everyone to think that oh he did so good on other subjects because he did ordinary level english because as ye all know english you have to study like hell and i am not upto that lol and i wanted to know now so i could make out my study planner for september and on and do english i were doing ordinary level one month before pres and jc

yeah i am doing transition year

Yes your right but for history and business my teacher already done it and so did i in class in 1st and 2nd year
    And for geography and science i am a quick learner and i would do all the subjects i have studied so far over and over again every weekend day i would go a over them so i can never forget that is my plan but about english i wanted to know now because obviously i know what my teacher thinks i should not be doing higher level english nor do I
    but i just worry if it will have an impact on lc and points and i do not want everyone to think that oh he did so good on other subjects because he did ordinary level english because as ye all know english you have to study like hell and i am not upto that lol and i wanted to know now so i could make out my study planner for september and on and do english i were doing ordinary level one month before pres and jc

Well with all this study you're planning, are you going to have time for anything else? :pac:

I will say that leaving cert English is MUCH more difficult than junior cert, so maybe that's something you should take into consideration. Nobody's going to care whether you do HL English or not, so that isn't a factor at all. You should do what you think will work out best for you at LC level, other people's opinions don't come into it.

I will say that I think you're overthinking this at the moment. I didn't start thinking about my leaving cert subjects until the last few months of fourth year. Your opinions of subjects might change over the course of third year, so as Spurious said, you should focus on your junior cert right now.

finality wrote: »
    Well with all this study you're planning, are you going to have time for anything else? :pac:

I will say that leaving cert English is MUCH more difficult than junior cert, so maybe that's something you should take into consideration. Nobody's going to care whether you do HL English or not, so that isn't a factor at all. You should do what you think will work out best for you at LC level, other people's opinions don't come into it.

I will say that I think you're overthinking this at the moment. I didn't start thinking about my leaving cert subjects until the last few months of fourth year. Your opinions of subjects might change over the course of third year, so as Spurious said, you should focus on your junior cert right now.

Hi i am not planning to enjoy my junior cert year i am planning to make it suffer as much as it can and make me study study study and the only day i will not study is every friday even at the time at junior exams i will not study at friday i just cannot study at friday and i never will
    its just that i keep thinking i done soo less studying and yes your all right i should just forget about lc and focus and jc first but i am never convinced i will end up doing good because one though always is in my head '' i have to sutdy I done to less ''
    And i want to get rid of this thought this is why i tried to study in summer but did not get that much done only business and history

Hi i am not planning to enjoy my junior cert year i am planning to make it suffer as much as it can and make me study study study and the only day i will not study is every friday even at the time at junior exams i will not study at friday i just cannot study at friday and i never will
    its just that i keep thinking i done soo less studying and yes your all right i should just forget about lc and focus and jc first but i am never convinced i will end up doing good because one though always is in my head '' i have to sutdy I done to less ''
    And i want to get rid of this thought this is why i tried to study in summer but did not get that much done only business and history

There's absolutely no need to stress out so much. It's the junior cert, it doesn't affect your future at all. It's great that you're prepared to work hard but if you're trying to study for hours almost every day, all year, you're just going to burn out.

Also, there's plenty of time to catch up in third year without locking yourself in your room every night and weekend. Towards the end of the year you'll be finished the courses and you'll be doing loads of revision of material from all 3 years. And I'm sure you're not as far behind as you think. You need to make sure to leave some time for fun and relaxation, the junior cert isn't supposed to be a horrible, stressful experience.

• Advertisement

Thank you that is all i needed just a boost up someone saying that i am doing ok and not behind yes if god wills i hope i finish all my subject courses by January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Hey 2Fast2c,

I did my Junior Cert this June.

You're stressing out way too much. I know you want to do well, but doing well means just listening in class, doing your homework to the best of your ability and a tiny bit of study on the side.

Trust me, I had butterflies going into 3rd year too. But your teachers will prepare you well for the exam, which trust me, isn't half as lifechanging as it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 junior100

i wud reccomend staying at higher level with metalwork because :de piece u make is worth 1 third nd de practical exam is worth 1 third nd de theory exam is worth 1 third , so it is easy enough to get good grades in dem 3 so i wud stick at higher level with metalwork

Lol i wanted to do higher level metal work aswell its juat that i did bad in the 3 hour test which decided who would do honours or pass and i got 30 percent in practical and in my summer exam i got 75 percent for the exam but in total adding the practical and exam i got 60 oercent but my teacher said since i got 30 percent in practical i cannot to higher level

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

You shouldn't worry about the Junior Cert at all! I did it this year too and I have to say in 3rd year we did massive amounts of work with our teachers. You're going to hear past Junior Certs saying don't worry it's easy - and I was sick of hearing that, but now that I've it done I can honestly say it's nothing to worry about! Don't get worked up over Mock results either, they're called Mocks for a reason.

Relax anyway, you've still 9 months of school before it - you'll be grand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I did all higher in all my subjects - even the ones I didn't like - and it wasn't too bad. Don't worry about the JC there's nothing to it.
    How about trying everything higher for the mocks and if it doesn't go so well then you can drop to ordinary.
    Wish I was as motivated to study as you are :pac:

Layzerman wrote: »
    You shouldn't worry about the Junior Cert at all! I did it this year too and I have to say in 3rd year we did massive amounts of work with our teachers. You're going to hear past Junior Certs saying don't worry it's easy - and I was sick of hearing that, but now that I've it done I can honestly say it's nothing to worry about! Don't get worked up over Mock results either, they're called Mocks for a reason.

Relax anyway, you've still 9 months of school before it - you'll be grand! :)

I know where you coming from but i do not want to be like others i am trying to study and get done courses asap but the thing is i do not want to be like most ppl who study till 1 in the school days and not go crazy during those and kind if kickback and relax like its 2nd year or something

I know where you coming from but i do not want to be like others i am trying to study and get done courses asap but the thing is i do not want to be like most ppl who study till 1 in the school days and not go crazy during those and kind if kickback and relax like its 2nd year or something

Well if I'm being honest I only started proper studying at the start of January before my mocks and I got on really well in June, I hope :P I'm not worried in the slightest for the results, just relax it's not bad at all! Listen to the people who've done it before you, do your homework and just study - it's really not hard :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

You studied during summer???? I done it this year, got 7As in the mocks and I'm sure you're sick of hearing it doesn't matter but seriously it doesn't. Just work you're a** off until the mocks (really try in the mocks you only get one btw) then take it easy after that. As long as you get honours in English maths French and Irish you're fine. I sorta messed up in the day in the JC, expected to get 9As but will only get 4As, so just try to stay as relaxed as possible. Seriously it doesn't matter, think of the LC students going in for their results today. Their whole future is based on this result. When you go in, you will only be bragging to your friends about it. Just chill

Leinsterr wrote: »
    You studied during summer???? I done it this year, got 7As in the mocks and I'm sure you're sick of hearing it doesn't matter but seriously it doesn't. Just work you're a** off until the mocks (really try in the mocks you only get one btw) then take it easy after that. As long as you get honours in English maths French and Irish you're fine. I sorta messed up in the day in the JC, expected to get 9As but will only get 4As, so just try to stay as relaxed as possible. Seriously it doesn't matter, think of the LC students going in for their results today. Their whole future is based on this result. When you go in, you will only be bragging to your friends about it. Just chill

I am doing everything honours but i am not so sure about english
    But so far at this day i have finished all my history course for jc and business course do you think this is a good start

• Advertisement

But so far at this day i have finished all my history course for jc and business course do you think this is a good start

In my honest opinion you're too prepared. Enjoy the rest of the summer, seriously. The JC isn't worth all that stress, trust me. The results don't even matter and will be forgotten about 5 minutes after you open them. If you think too much about it you'll be sick to death of it by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Oh, and that 3 hour test in Tech Graph and Metalwork is the stupidest thing ever.

You need all 3 hours for the test but it's so exhausting that you can barely move after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Leinsterr wrote: »

It's easy to do well in English. Just read the Irish independent/times everyday (the editorial, letters and main article) and just constantly read books. I was good enough at English at the start of 3rd year but I started taking my teachers advice and I find it so interesting. I got entered in to some big competition between 20 different schools and won. Seriously, you have done plenty so far just relax until the start of school and you will be fine. Guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

My only advice for English is, other than to study your prescribed text is to read novels of many different genres. This will help with essay writing but also also with the unseen reading in Paper 1 and unseen drama and poetry in Paper 2. I read a lot during the summer after 2nd year and throughout 3rd and I honestly thought it helped. Also, stick with higher level until the mocks anyway, see how it is and you'll know.

Troxck wrote: »
    My only advice for English is, other than to study your prescribed text is to read novels of many different genres. This will help with essay writing but also also with the unseen reading in Paper 1 and unseen drama and poetry in Paper 2. I read a lot during the summer after 2nd year and throughout 3rd and I honestly thought it helped. Also, stick with higher level until the mocks anyway, see how it is and you'll know.

Take this advice, my teacher was able to tell who read books and who didn't from our test results, and she always told us to read read read. It really really does work. Build up a booklet of paragraphs/descriptions of things in these books and use them in your own essays.

Thank you all for the english advise its not about comprehension or essay or media studies or speech or debate i am worried ibfact i find them really easy and am quite good at rate of 6/10 but what i hate and suck at is poetry novel and drama questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Thank you all for the english advise its not about comprehension or essay or media studies or speech or debate i am worried ibfact i find them really easy and am quite good at rate of 6/10 but what i hate and suck at is poetry novel and drama questions

Absolutely hated them in 2nd year, turned out to be my favourite in 3rd year. Honestly, once you see the questions in exam papers and your teacher goes through them, they'll seem easy enough. I have a few decent English notes but I'll put them up when we go back, you should just enjoy your Summer.

If there was percentage on paper 1 and 2 i would reckon i would get 50-60% fo r p aper 1 and 30on paper 2

Learn whatever poem notes you're given - your teacher will know what themes to cover

For the play, learn 2 or 3 themes, about 3 characters to be safe, a scene of tragedy and a scene of happiness etc. What play are you doing?

I hated our novel, it was crap, but pretty much learn the same things I said for your play and some techniques the author uses. Setting and plot and all that as well - it'll be grand

• Advertisement

The play i am doing is merchant of venice which i think i am better then the.novel which no one heard of its called the cinammon tree

Advertisement